Serious Question about WQAM

Also, I think some of you, many who do not live here, are way overvaluing the University of Miami's influence on local TV/Radio. If you're the head of WQAM and UM is this huge cash cow, you'd bend over and do everything possible to make them happy. Clearly, WQAM isn't bending the slightest and considers UM to be a nice partner but not one worth changing the programming for. I'm not sure what type of rating the radio broadcasts get but apparently they're not nearly as good as some people here are assuming.

I don't give a **** about some Jimbo Fisher radio show and to be honest, I didn't even know it existed before reading about it here but obviously WQAM thinks it's a money maker for them.

Also, there are four sports radio channels in the south Florida area but people only listen to two of them. If UM blows off 560, that leaves them with only 790 the Ticket as a possible business partner. If there's no other competition for UM broadcasting rights, 790 can just name their price and UM would pretty much be forced to take what they offered or risk having no radio audience at all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There's far more FSU alums in south Florida than Miami alums. Maybe, the next time broadcast rights come up for renewal, UM can add a stipulation "no Jimbo interviews" to their contract but it's unlikely.

How do you define South Florida?

Dade Broward and palm Beach

That's 560's audience range.

The numbers I found for FSU are 14,138 for Broward, 11,828 for Dade and 10,669 for Palm Beach. That's about 36-37K. According to UM's website, there are 52,155 UM alumni in Dade County alone (and 93K in Florida).

I'm not going to bother looking up numbers, I'll just assume these are correct. If that's really the case, then where the **** are all these local alums on game day?

It's natural to assume that a school with such a small undergrad population would have far fewer alum than a large public school with almost four times the enrollment. Obviously, this is anecdotal but I only know a handful of UM alumni and I know probably close to a hundred people who went to FSU. Obviously, the cheaper public school is going to have a larger enrollment.

I mean, the numbers came from UM and from FSU's alumni page. The County with biggest FSU alum base is Leon (Tallahassee) and for UF it's Alachua (Gainesville), with South Florida counties coming close second. My point is, that even though a lot of UM students aren't from the area, there are probably a decent # that stay after school.

I knew you were out of your league when you started on about "and then you get no dessert."

That's usually how people who don't have facts and experience on their side act.

The funny part is that you wanted to get in the last word. And you didn't even get that, in the end. I did.

Here's the really funny part. You have no idea what you're talking about.

What do you do for a living?

You would be embarrassed if I told you what I do, you'd realize just how out of your league you really are. So I'll spare you out of kindness to a fellow cane fan. The type of negotiation we're discussing (UM vs WQAM), in which you've exhibited your considerable ignorance, would in my world be so small potatoes as to be laughable.

I suggest you slowly back away from this because you literally have no clue.

It all goes back to the same reason why attendance is so wishy washy. UM really only has about 35-40 thousand fans in the South Florida area. Yeah there's a few thousand others who will show up for a game against FSU or another big name team but the number of die-hard, real-deal UM fans in an area of roughly 6 million people is pretty small. No media outlet is going to cater to that small of a fan base.

Also, I think some of you, many who do not live here, are way overvaluing the University of Miami's influence on local TV/Radio. If you're the head of WQAM and UM is this huge cash cow, you'd bend over and do everything possible to make them happy. Clearly, WQAM isn't bending the slightest and considers UM to be a nice partner but not one worth changing the programming for. I'm not sure what type of rating the radio broadcasts get but apparently they're not nearly as good as some people here are assuming.

I don't give a **** about some Jimbo Fisher radio show and to be honest, I didn't even know it existed before reading about it here but obviously WQAM thinks it's a money maker for them.

Also, there are four sports radio channels in the south Florida area but people only listen to two of them. If UM blows off 560, that leaves them with only 790 the Ticket as a possible business partner. If there's no other competition for UM broadcasting rights, 790 can just name their price and UM would pretty much be forced to take what they offered or risk having no radio audience at all.

While I find WQAM deplorable for sucking off Cuckbo, what people fail to grasp is just the basics of negotiation. Your post highlights another important point, we have at most 3, and realistically only 2, possible partner stations in the market. For this reason, and others that are at least as, if not more significant, we are not in any position of strength to dictate programming to our carrier. Negotiation is like war, the more weapons you have, the stronger your negotiating position. Our negotiationing position is not strong, through no fault of our own, that's just the circumstances and the reality of the situation.

I suppose one can criticize UM for not "selling" the idea of not having so much Cuckbo on the air. That's fair game. A fair criticism would be that we have not developed the relationship enough so that WQAM would do us that courtesy. But that's all it would be from them, a courtesy based on Miami being the home team, and the schools relationship with the station. We are in no position of strength to dictate demands, though. It's just a basic lack of understanding by many here on the business realities of the situation.

Advertisement
Exactly. I don't think it would hurt for Miami to say "hey WQAM, if you guys are going to be our radio partners, we think you should dump the Jimbo show". Maybe they'll agree, maybe they'll tell Miami to kick rocks but to assume that someone from Miami's media relations department is going to head over to the station and start throwing his weight around is ridiculous.

Not only that, if UM leaves 560, that means I'll have to listen to that enormous blob, Feast doing pre and post game shows on 790.

It all goes back to the same reason why attendance is so wishy washy. UM really only has about 35-40 thousand fans in the South Florida area. Yeah there's a few thousand others who will show up for a game against FSU or another big name team but the number of die-hard, real-deal UM fans in an area of roughly 6 million people is pretty small. No media outlet is going to cater to that small of a fan base.

They only have 35-40K die hards. They probably have hundreds of thousands of fans (or more). That's what is so ******* annoying.

They only have 35-40K die hards. They probably have hundreds of thousands of fans (or more). That's what is so ****ing annoying.

Those other, casual fans aren't tuning in to 560 AM radio to hear Hurricanes talk though.

I don't even know what station The Feast is polluting these days but I blame him disirregardless if we're talking whorish frauds. That guy would sellout this program for a $15 gift card to Shake Shack and the promise that you'd put in a good word for him at a Boston radio station.

Strong, strong word play w disirregardless!

My goal is to have Merriam-Webster accept it by 2020. It'll be their boldest new word yet.

Advertisement

There's not a real correlation between the actual amount of Canes fans and the people who attend games when we are terrible.

There's no justification for the purported flagship station of UM giving our biggest rival a weekly residency. I doubt you'd see that anywhere else in the country. I can't imagine FSU's flagship station having a weekly McSharkBanger segment.

It's bush league horseshyt from QAM no matter how much you guys try to paint the area as a multi-cultural metropolis that is so superior to everywhere else that this flunky AM radio station is somehow immune from doing the right thing by its flagship "partner."

While I find WQAM deplorable for sucking off Cuckbo, what people fail to grasp is just the basics of negotiation. Your post highlights another important point, we have at most 3, and realistically only 2, possible partner stations in the market. For this reason, and others that are at least as, if not more significant, we are not in any position of strength to dictate programming to our carrier. Negotiation is like war, the more weapons you have, the stronger your negotiating position. Our negotiationing position is not strong, through no fault of our own, that's just the circumstances and the reality of the situation.

I suppose one can criticize UM for not "selling" the idea of not having so much Cuckbo on the air. That's fair game. A fair criticism would be that we have not developed the relationship enough so that WQAM would do us that courtesy. But that's all it would be from them, a courtesy based on Miami being the home team, and the schools relationship with the station. We are in no position of strength to dictate demands, though. It's just a basic lack of understanding by many here on the business realities of the situation.

Tell me why UM is in such a weak position with QAM that we can't tell them to not allow the coach of our biggest rival to take a weekly residency on their station. I don't see and am willing to be enlightened.

Seems like a pretty simple negotiating point. I think the UM rights package is more valuable to QAM than a 5 minute weekly segment with Cuckbo for 12 weeks a year. They've fired guys for being too critical of UM on the air. I doubt Cuckbo is all that valuable to QAM.

There's not a real correlation between the actual amount of Canes fans and the people who attend games when we are terrible.

There's no justification for the purported flagship station of UM giving our biggest rival a weekly residency. I doubt you'd see that anywhere else in the country. I can't imagine FSU's flagship station having a weekly McSharkBanger segment.

It's bush league horseshyt from QAM no matter how much you guys try to paint the area as a multi-cultural metropolis that is so superior to everywhere else that this flunky AM radio station is somehow immune from doing the right thing by its flagship "partner."

You're right about WQAM. Nobody disputes that. My skin crawls if I happen to be in the car and hear that cuck's slimy drawl.

I think other people though are confusing the sliminess of our flagship station with what we are capable of doing about it.

For all we know, UM may have already made its displeasure known on many occasions. Unfortunately, there's little the school can do if they give us the middle finger, which they kind of are basically doing now as it is.

You're right about WQAM. Nobody disputes that. My skin crawls if I happen to be in the car and hear that cuck's slimy drawl.

I think other people though are confusing the sliminess of our flagship station with what we are capable of doing about it.

For all we know, UM may have already made its displeasure known on many occasions. Unfortunately, there's little the school can do if they give us the middle finger, which they kind of are basically doing now as it is.

UM needs stronger negotiators on its side if it can't get its alleged radio partner to shytcan a 5 minute 12 times per year segment with our biggest rival's cuck HC.

Advertisement

Tell me why UM is in such a weak position with QAM that we can't tell them to not allow the coach of our biggest rival to take a weekly residency on their station. I don't see and am willing to be enlightened.

Seems like a pretty simple negotiating point. I think the UM rights package is more valuable to QAM than a 5 minute weekly segment with Cuckbo for 12 weeks a year. They've fired guys for being too critical of UM on the air. I doubt Cuckbo is all that valuable to QAM.

Just saw this post.

Here's why: we already have a contract with WQAM. Obviously, there's not a "no Cuckbo" clause in that contract or he wouldn't be on the air.

The weakness mainly lies in our ability to extract a concession on the next negotiation. What's our hammer? What's our "or else"? What are our other options. One of the major strengths in a negotiation is the ability to walk away. Our ability to do is hindered by the fact there are limited choices if we walk away, and assuming we do, we just put ourselves in an even weaker position with the remaining one or two stations left.

I'm not saying that's a concession or clause we shouldn't attempt. We should. So the weakness is in what our response would be if the say no that clause. Remembering that we have other goals in the negotiation which probably take precedence, such as the monetary terms, number of programming hours, etc.

Clearly there's nothing to be done now from a contractual standpoint until the next negotiation and like I said previously, the fault, if any, lies in our relationship with WQAM sans contract, i.e., we have not sold them on the idea of some modicum of exclusivity.

Don't get me wrong, I think WQAM doing this is straight horseshīt, and just out of some sense of local civic duty they shouldn't do it. But for whatever reason, they think it's to their benefit to do it.

I highly doubt Miami football cares or not if Jimbo gets a quick hit once a week on WQAM. They've got other things way way way way way way way more important to worry about. Enough with the negotiating nonsense.

Just saw this post.

Here's why: we already have a contract with WQAM. Obviously, there's not a "no Cuckbo" clause in that contract or he wouldn't be on the air.

The weakness mainly lies in our ability to extract a concession on the next negotiation. What's our hammer? What's our "or else"? What are our other options. One of the major strengths in a negotiation is the ability to walk away. Our ability to do is hindered by the fact there are limited choices if we walk away, and assuming we do, we just put ourselves in an even weaker position with the remaining one or two stations left.

I'm not saying that's a concession or clause we shouldn't attempt. We should. So the weakness is in what our response would be if the say no that clause. Remembering that we have other goals in the negotiation which probably take precedence, such as the monetary terms, number of programming hours, etc.

Clearly there's nothing to be done now from a contractual standpoint until the next negotiation and like I said previously, the fault, if any, lies in our relationship with WQAM sans contract, i.e., we have not sold them on the idea of some modicum of exclusivity.

Don't get me wrong, I think WQAM doing this is straight horseshīt, and just out of some sense of local civic duty they shouldn't do it. But for whatever reason, they think it's to their benefit to do it.

I don't see the limited "walk away" options that you see. As long as you have 1 viable option you have a hammer. But I've negotiated incredible results with far less viable options and facts on my side than UM has on its.

I bet if UM talked to the GM at QAM and said they wanted that stupid cuck segment squashed they could get it done.

Advertisement

UM needs stronger negotiators on its side if it can't get its alleged radio partner to shytcan a 5 minute 12 times per year segment with our biggest rival's cuck HC.

I agree with this. I would add that relationships are an important aspect of negotiations because at the end of the day, you have human beings sitting across from each other at the table. My guess as an outside observer is that we don't have those relationships. That's on us.

Also my comments are based on the topic of negotiations in general. Since broadcasting and media isn't my gig, there may be something I'm missing here.

I highly doubt Miami football cares or not if Jimbo gets a quick hit once a week on WQAM. They've got other things way way way way way way way more important to worry about. Enough with the negotiating nonsense.

UM absolutely should care. Why do you think Cuckbo is taking his valuable time to do that weekly appearance in South Florida? He's not doing it because he has nothing else to do. He's busy every waking moment of the day. He sees a clear benefit in having a presence on UM's alleged flagship station every week.

UM absolutely should care. Why do you think Cuckbo is taking his valuable time to do that weekly appearance in South Florida? He's not doing it because he has nothing else to do. He's busy every waking moment of the day. He sees a clear benefit in having a presence on UM's alleged flagship station every week.

As someone said earlier in the thread, no high school recruit listens to the bleeping radio anymore. So maybe he's doing it to appease the SoFla market of FSU fans. Which doesn't mean anything for results on the field, and that is all I care about.

I knew you were out of your league when you started on about "and then you get no dessert."

That's usually how people who don't have facts and experience on their side act.

The funny part is that you wanted to get in the last word. And you didn't even get that, in the end. I did.

Here's the really funny part. You have no idea what you're talking about.

What do you do for a living?

You would be embarrassed if I told you what I do, you'd realize just how out of your league you really are. So I'll spare you out of kindness to a fellow cane fan. The type of negotiation we're discussing (UM vs WQAM), in which you've exhibited your considerable ignorance, would in my world be so small potatoes as to be laughable.

I suggest you slowly back away from this because you literally have no clue.

This guy is probably buddies with Joe Zagaki. It's the only explanation.

Guy, you've thrown everything at this debate except for facts and reason. And now you want to measure ****s. Go ahead, big shot, tell everyone what you do for a living. You're obviously dying to.

Should be entertaining to hear what lies this keyboard warrior is going to make up to make himself look cool.

Advertisement
Back