Serious Question about WQAM

It all goes back to the same reason why attendance is so wishy washy. UM really only has about 35-40 thousand fans in the South Florida area. Yeah there's a few thousand others who will show up for a game against FSU or another big name team but the number of die-hard, real-deal UM fans in an area of roughly 6 million people is pretty small. No media outlet is going to cater to that small of a fan base.

There's not a real correlation between the actual amount of Canes fans and the people who attend games when we are terrible.

There's no justification for the purported flagship station of UM giving our biggest rival a weekly residency. I doubt you'd see that anywhere else in the country. I can't imagine FSU's flagship station having a weekly McSharkBanger segment.

It's bush league horseshyt from QAM no matter how much you guys try to paint the area as a multi-cultural metropolis that is so superior to everywhere else that this flunky AM radio station is somehow immune from doing the right thing by its flagship "partner."

You're right about WQAM. Nobody disputes that. My skin crawls if I happen to be in the car and hear that cuck's slimy drawl.

I think other people though are confusing the sliminess of our flagship station with what we are capable of doing about it.

For all we know, UM may have already made its displeasure known on many occasions. Unfortunately, there's little the school can do if they give us the middle finger, which they kind of are basically doing now as it is.

UM needs stronger negotiators on its side if it can't get its alleged radio partner to shytcan a 5 minute 12 times per year segment with our biggest rival's cuck HC.

I agree with this. I would add that relationships are an important aspect of negotiations because at the end of the day, you have human beings sitting across from each other at the table. My guess as an outside observer is that we don't have those relationships. That's on us.

Also my comments are based on the topic of negotiations in general. Since broadcasting and media isn't my gig, there may be something I'm missing here.

So now you agree with it? LOL wow. At least you came around.

Advertisement
I knew you were out of your league when you started on about "and then you get no dessert."

That's usually how people who don't have facts and experience on their side act.

The funny part is that you wanted to get in the last word. And you didn't even get that, in the end. I did.

Here's the really funny part. You have no idea what you're talking about.

What do you do for a living?

You would be embarrassed if I told you what I do, you'd realize just how out of your league you really are. So I'll spare you out of kindness to a fellow cane fan. The type of negotiation we're discussing (UM vs WQAM), in which you've exhibited your considerable ignorance, would in my world be so small potatoes as to be laughable.

I suggest you slowly back away from this because you literally have no clue.
I think it is time to cease your childish bickering between you and meat. This is not a place to insinuate that one is more successful than anyone else on this board. Posters should stick to the subject without interjecting personal issues. Everyone should be considered equal here and board is solely to discuss topics posted.

I knew you were out of your league when you started on about "and then you get no dessert."

That's usually how people who don't have facts and experience on their side act.

The funny part is that you wanted to get in the last word. And you didn't even get that, in the end. I did.

Here's the really funny part. You have no idea what you're talking about.

What do you do for a living?

You would be embarrassed if I told you what I do, you'd realize just how out of your league you really are. So I'll spare you out of kindness to a fellow cane fan. The type of negotiation we're discussing (UM vs WQAM), in which you've exhibited your considerable ignorance, would in my world be so small potatoes as to be laughable.

I suggest you slowly back away from this because you literally have no clue.

This guy is probably buddies with Joe Zagaki. It's the only explanation.

Guy, you've thrown everything at this debate except for facts and reason. And now you want to measure ****s. Go ahead, big shot, tell everyone what you do for a living. You're obviously dying to.

Should be entertaining to hear what lies this keyboard warrior is going to make up to make himself look cool.

You're out of your league. Seriously.

There's far more FSU alums in south Florida than Miami alums. Maybe, the next time broadcast rights come up for renewal, UM can add a stipulation "no Jimbo interviews" to their contract but it's unlikely.

How do you define South Florida?

Dade Broward and palm Beach

That's 560's audience range.

The numbers I found for FSU are 14,138 for Broward, 11,828 for Dade and 10,669 for Palm Beach. That's about 36-37K. According to UM's website, there are 52,155 UM alumni in Dade County alone (and 93K in Florida).

I'm not going to bother looking up numbers, I'll just assume these are correct. If that's really the case, then where the **** are all these local alums on game day?

It's natural to assume that a school with such a small undergrad population would have far fewer alum than a large public school with almost four times the enrollment. Obviously, this is anecdotal but I only know a handful of UM alumni and I know probably close to a hundred people who went to FSU. Obviously, the cheaper public school is going to have a larger enrollment.

Miami has far more fans in South Florida than FSU has. The media narrative is that "Miami has no fans," but that's not born out by any objective observation.

Every time FSU or UF come to town, we hear about how they are going to take over our stadium. And it NEVER happens. We always outnumber them at least 3:1.

Drive around Miami and all you see are UM decals, plates, and bumper stickers. Our TV ratings are some of the best in America.

I think some people just lack confidence in UM.

There's not a real correlation between the actual amount of Canes fans and the people who attend games when we are terrible.

There's no justification for the purported flagship station of UM giving our biggest rival a weekly residency. I doubt you'd see that anywhere else in the country. I can't imagine FSU's flagship station having a weekly McSharkBanger segment.

It's bush league horseshyt from QAM no matter how much you guys try to paint the area as a multi-cultural metropolis that is so superior to everywhere else that this flunky AM radio station is somehow immune from doing the right thing by its flagship "partner."

You're right about WQAM. Nobody disputes that. My skin crawls if I happen to be in the car and hear that cuck's slimy drawl.

I think other people though are confusing the sliminess of our flagship station with what we are capable of doing about it.

For all we know, UM may have already made its displeasure known on many occasions. Unfortunately, there's little the school can do if they give us the middle finger, which they kind of are basically doing now as it is.

UM needs stronger negotiators on its side if it can't get its alleged radio partner to shytcan a 5 minute 12 times per year segment with our biggest rival's cuck HC.

I agree with this. I would add that relationships are an important aspect of negotiations because at the end of the day, you have human beings sitting across from each other at the table. My guess as an outside observer is that we don't have those relationships. That's on us.

Also my comments are based on the topic of negotiations in general. Since broadcasting and media isn't my gig, there may be something I'm missing here.

So now you agree with it? LOL wow. At least you came around.

What is your point?

Mine was that we were in no legal or contractual position to make a demand "or walk" at the present time, which was your solution. My position has remained consistent.

I also remind you that you posted this: "As for USF.... I'm thankfully not a lawyer, but I'm certain that our "U" logo is trademarked. USF's logo is clearly a ripoff of ours, so we would have grounds to fight them over it if we wanted." Which I disagreed with because it is one of the most laughably stupid opinions ever posted on this site. It's sad because I don't think you're dumb, just incredibly naive. Boy, that was a doozy.

I mean you can sue anybody for anything, but to think we would even stand an outside chance is delusional. Such a suit would not even get off the ground.

Advertisement

The numbers I found for FSU are 14,138 for Broward, 11,828 for Dade and 10,669 for Palm Beach. That's about 36-37K. According to UM's website, there are 52,155 UM alumni in Dade County alone (and 93K in Florida).

I'm not going to bother looking up numbers, I'll just assume these are correct. If that's really the case, then where the **** are all these local alums on game day?

It's natural to assume that a school with such a small undergrad population would have far fewer alum than a large public school with almost four times the enrollment. Obviously, this is anecdotal but I only know a handful of UM alumni and I know probably close to a hundred people who went to FSU. Obviously, the cheaper public school is going to have a larger enrollment.

Miami has far more fans in South Florida than FSU has. The media narrative is that "Miami has no fans," but that's not born out by any objective observation.

Every time FSU or UF come to town, we hear about how they are going to take over our stadium. And it NEVER happens. We always outnumber them at least 3:1.

Drive around Miami and all you see are UM decals, plates, and bumper stickers. Our TV ratings are some of the best in America.

No, Miami has a bunch of casual fans. People who pay no attention to the program and only jump on the bandwagon when the team is winning titles are not fans, they're trend followers. Half those people probably have winston and tebow jerseys in their closet. Like I said earlier, there's probably around 40,000 real fans that go to all the games. When a team like fsu or uf plays here you'll get another 5-10 thousand casual fans to show up. Until Miami can have a consistent fan base that doesn't shrink in half every time they lose a game, it's going to be tough to get media to take them seriously.

No, Miami has a bunch of casual fans. People who pay no attention to the program and only jump on the bandwagon when the team is winning titles are not fans, they're trend followers. Half those people probably have winston and tebow jerseys in their closet. Like I said earlier, there's probably around 40,000 real fans that go to all the games. When a team like fsu or uf plays here you'll get another 5-10 thousand casual fans to show up. Until Miami can have a consistent fan base that doesn't shrink in half every time they lose a game, it's going to be tough to get media to take them seriously.

If Miami has casual fans, what does FSU have? Where are all the FSU fans every other year we play them at Hard Rock? We outnumber them vastly every time that game is played.

Are you trying to make the case that a Miami-area sports radio station sees their contract with the Miami Hurricanes as expendable?

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Advertisement

The media narrative is that "Miami has no fans," but that's not born out by any objective observation.

This will be the best post on CanesInsight this week.

Until the one Saturday night about the Turds and Holes BOTH losing.

Why does the University of Miami's flagship station interview fsu's head coach weekly? Why give them time on the radio in SoFla? I highly doubt our instate rivals are calling Richt for a weekly interview.

Because UM has not asked them to stop! UM has never embraced the terms "Football Power" or "Baseball Power" despite their success. ****, UM basically let USF put a **** U on their helmets...the horned U. Hopefully, the views are changing with Frenk....or UM is just modernizing....ex. IPF and such. UM has always focused on academics and academic superstructure. You can do both.........see Duke, where academics are a priority BUT THEY MAKE IT KNOWN THAT THEY ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! We need to act like a Power to get Power results. A quick phone ends that Jimbo Crap!

You realize that Miami doesn't own the letter U, right? So, in other words, Miami can't keep USF, or any other school that wants to use a U on their helmet from doing so. The only way Miami could possibly file a copyright claim is if a school bit off of the "Split U" theme, which is copyrighted.

WQAM isn't WVUM, in other words, they are a commercial enterprise, and have to draw in listeners in order to stay in business. When you have more FSU and UF alumni in South Florida than Miami supporters(and it is probably a 3:1 ratio at best), you will set your programming schedule around that.

It's obvious there are quite a few people here that have never worked at a radio station before.

I know. Glam job.

This is a non-issue. Almost every competitive sports radio market in the country (read: stations that broadcast to multiple competing fan bases, even if they only carry one particular teams games live) does this or something very similar to this.

I.E. here in utah the flagship stations of both university of putah and bywho prominently broadcast almost daily segments that feature the "hated rival".

It's called show business!

Why did money mayweather give shamrock boy so much free pub before the fight even though they were "bitter rivals"? Easy to answer right?

Thanks for that insight. Maybe you can explain to me where these millions and millions of die hard Miami fans are on gameday when the opponent isn't Florida State?

Look, WQAM is in the business of making money not sucking off a couple UM homers. They're going to broadcast whatever they feel is going to generate the most ratings and therefore most ad dollars. If they really thought that ditching the Jimbo show was going to be good for business, they would have done it a long time ago. I personally don't care. Like I said previously, I didn't even know the was a show on WQAM before this thread was started. If it hurts your feelings so much, call WQAM and tell them you're willing to spend a boatload of money on advertising but only if they dump the jimbo show.

Advertisement

If Miami has casual fans, what does FSU have? Where are all the FSU fans every other year we play them at Hard Rock? We outnumber them vastly every time that game is played.

Are you trying to make the case that a Miami-area sports radio station sees their contract with the Miami Hurricanes as expendable?

Why don't FSU fans outnumber Miami fans at a Miami home game? Probably the stupidest question I've ever seen here but I'll help you out. The University of Miami sells roughly 40K season tickets to UM fans that leaves only roughly 25K available seats for visitors and single game ticket purchasers. Even if every single one of those 25K single game tickets were purchased by FSU fans, they would still be largely outnumbered. This isn't that hard to understand.

As for the second part of your question, WQAM doesn't see their contract with Miami as expendable, they just don't see it as all encompassing. UM programming doesn't make them enough revenue to give UM leverage in station programming. Like I said before, if it was a huge cash cow, the station programmers would be bending over backwards for UM. They're clearly not doing that.

Thanks for that insight. Maybe you can explain to me where these millions and millions of die hard Miami fans are on gameday when the opponent isn't Florida State?

Look, WQAM is in the business of making money not sucking off a couple UM homers. They're going to broadcast whatever they feel is going to generate the most ratings and therefore most ad dollars. If they really thought that ditching the Jimbo show was going to be good for business, they would have done it a long time ago. I personally don't care. Like I said previously, I didn't even know the was a show on WQAM before this thread was started. If it hurts your feelings so much, call WQAM and tell them you're willing to spend a boatload of money on advertising but only if they dump the jimbo show.

Two things you have no idea about:

This arbitrary number of 40,000 fans. Plenty of real fans don't go to the games because of a variety of reasons. None of us know how many "real fans" there are. I don't know what a "real fan" even is in your context. I don't go to games because I work almost every Saturday and can't pull it off. But I've spent plenty of money towards that program over the years. Am I not a real fan cause I don't go to HRS?

Second, the media doesn't take Miami seriously because of the small number of fans is the biggest horse **** I've ever read on this board. The media takes Miami very seriously. Has it ever occurred to you we don't give a rat's *** if Jimbo gets a weekly hit on this radio station? We have other things to worry about then Jimbo fisher's media appearances.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Funny enough, I agree with your last paragraph. WQAM is doing it for ratings and good for them. It's a capitalist society lol they can do whatever they want. Just don't pretend like you know the exact number of fans and that you know everything about the media's relationship to Miami. 99% of this board is just spewing ****

Last edited:

Two things you have no idea about:

This arbitrary number of 40,000 fans. Plenty of real fans don't go to the games because of a variety of reasons. None of us know how many "real fans" there are. I don't know what a "real fan" even is in your context. I don't go to games because I work almost every Saturday and can't pull it off. But I've spent plenty of money towards that program over the years. Am I not a real fan cause I don't go to HRS?

Second, the media doesn't take Miami seriously because of the small number of fans is the biggest horse **** I've ever read on this board. The media takes Miami very seriously. Has it ever occurred to you we don't give a rat's *** if Jimbo gets a weekly hit on this radio station? We have other things to worry about then Jimbo fisher's media appearances.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Funny enough, I agree with your last paragraph. WQAM is doing it for ratings and good for them. It's a capitalist society lol they can do whatever they want. Just don't pretend like you know the exact number of fans and that you know everything about the media's relationship to Miami. 99% of this board is just spewing ****

The 40,000 local fans number is an arbitrary estimate. I'm sure there are more but you can't seriously argue that there's this huge group of die hard fans when Miami has attendance issues year in and year out. There's 6 million people in Miami Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. If there were that many serious Miami fans, they would certainly sell more tickets. I consider "fans" to be people who attend as many games as they can and closely follow the program. A dude with a UM sticker on his car that doesn't know the starting quarterback isn't what I consider a fan.

I certainly don't give a **** about Jimbo having a show on WQAM but it obviously bothers a lot of people on this board. That's the whole reason this thread started. Maybe Miami's athletic department doesn't give a crap either? All I'm saying is that WQAM has an audience to cater to and that audience is not just Miami Hurricane fans.

Advertisement

Why don't FSU fans outnumber Miami fans at a Miami home game? Probably the stupidest question I've ever seen here but I'll help you out. The University of Miami sells roughly 40K season tickets to UM fans that leaves only roughly 25K available seats for visitors and single game ticket purchasers. Even if every single one of those 25K single game tickets were purchased by FSU fans, they would still be largely outnumbered. This isn't that hard to understand.

As for the second part of your question, WQAM doesn't see their contract with Miami as expendable, they just don't see it as all encompassing. UM programming doesn't make them enough revenue to give UM leverage in station programming. Like I said before, if it was a huge cash cow, the station programmers would be bending over backwards for UM. They're clearly not doing that.

It's the perfect question, actually. Because you seem to believe that there are as many FSU fans in South Florida as Miami fans.... and you're using that to justify why WQAM should have Jimbo on the air.

And I'm saying if there are all these FSU fans in Miami, where the **** are they when their team comes to town?

The fact is, we outnumber them 3:1 when they come down here. I know if that were my team, and they only came to town once every other year, I'd get my *** out to the stadium to see them.

But somehow, we outnumber them by a lot every time.

And I'm just telling you anecdotally, but whenever I'm in South Florida, I see a ton of UM stuff, a ton of UM license plates, a ton of people in UM gear.... I rarely see anybody repping FSU.

I don't care what anybody says, the city of Miami loves the Canes. Probably more than they love the Dolphins or any other team down here.

But for some reason, people don't have enough confidence in their city or their team - or they're just blind.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back