Serious Question about WQAM

Why does the University of Miami's flagship station interview fsu's head coach weekly? Why give them time on the radio in SoFla? I highly doubt our instate rivals are calling Richt for a weekly interview.

Because UM has not asked them to stop! UM has never embraced the terms "Football Power" or "Baseball Power" despite their success. ****, UM basically let USF put a **** U on their helmets...the horned U. Hopefully, the views are changing with Frenk....or UM is just modernizing....ex. IPF and such. UM has always focused on academics and academic superstructure. You can do both.........see Duke, where academics are a priority BUT THEY MAKE IT KNOWN THAT THEY ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! We need to act like a Power to get Power results. A quick phone ends that Jimbo Crap!

You're simple minded. Tell me exactly what UM would say in that conversation that would make an independent entity such as WQAM change their programming?

Also tell me what legal authority UM has to prevent a school like USF from using the logo that they have?

You call them up and say "stop having Jimbo Fisher on your radio station or we'll find ourselves a new "flagship."

Despite what the yoyo's around here are saying, there are far more UM fans in the Miami area than FSU fans, and the programmers know this.

As for USF.... I'm thankfully not a lawyer, but I'm certain that our "U" logo is trademarked. USF's logo is clearly a ripoff of ours, so we would have grounds to fight them over it if we wanted.

Also, you don't always have to win the lawsuit in order to win the war.

Advertisement
I don't know what all the fuss is about. We brag all the time about how we live in South Florida and how diverse it is and how we dont live in a cowtown like Gainesville or a college town like Austin or a racist, redneck town like Tuscaloosa where the only thing to do there is go to Saturday games and the whole town explodes when its not football season and we get mad when the local radio station is a diverse station! Cant have it both ways.

And isnt that what Pete and his podcasts are for on here? You dont like local radio? Just stick to Petes podcasts. They are 10x better anyway. Cant remember the last time I listened to a local radio interview with a Hurricane player or coach after Pete got his **** up and running..Support what he has going on with that and his paid site instead of bytching and complaining that Joe Rose wants to interview Jimbo. Boo phuckin Hoo.

Are you guys that fucjing clueless to wonder why a sports radio station talks about multiple teams in a market that has fans/alumni in its market? This isn't a communist state controlled radio station with Miami as their Stalin telling them what not to broadcast.

Put your panties back on. I hate fsu but FFS

There's nothing "communist" about playing the game.

LOL if you think there isn't strong-arming going on at the highest levels of business. It's kill or be killed, and it's all capitalism.

Why does the University of Miami's flagship station interview fsu's head coach weekly? Why give them time on the radio in SoFla? I highly doubt our instate rivals are calling Richt for a weekly interview.

Because UM has not asked them to stop! UM has never embraced the terms "Football Power" or "Baseball Power" despite their success. ****, UM basically let USF put a **** U on their helmets...the horned U. Hopefully, the views are changing with Frenk....or UM is just modernizing....ex. IPF and such. UM has always focused on academics and academic superstructure. You can do both.........see Duke, where academics are a priority BUT THEY MAKE IT KNOWN THAT THEY ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! We need to act like a Power to get Power results. A quick phone ends that Jimbo Crap!

You're simple minded. Tell me exactly what UM would say in that conversation that would make an independent entity such as WQAM change their programming?

Also tell me what legal authority UM has to prevent a school like USF from using the logo that they have?

You call them up and say "stop having Jimbo Fisher on your radio station or we'll find ourselves a new "flagship."

Despite what the yoyo's around here are saying, there are far more UM fans in the Miami area than FSU fans, and the programmers know this.

As for USF.... I'm thankfully not a lawyer, but I'm certain that our "U" logo is trademarked. USF's logo is clearly a ripoff of ours, so we would have grounds to fight them over it if we wanted.

Jesus Christ..... You can't patent or trademark the alphabet. That "U" on USF's helmet look nothing like ours and you'd get laughed out of court.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure if you live in SoFla or not but this aint Gville, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Tallahassee, Austin, etc where those teams are the end all, be all 99% of the people who live in those towns either are alumni or they root for the teams...South Fla isnt a college town. In fact you probably have just as many UF, FSU, FIU, FAU fans then you have UM fans. Its about ratings. Sad truth.

Dont be so hard on them. They show UM plenty of love. Joe Rose is a big fan of UM and goes to the games and tailgates with fans as well. Especially for the big games and the opening game.

So why don't we have a weekly with McTeef, and the coaches of the entire AFC east, there's plenty of Bills, Jets, Patriots fans in Miami as well.
They give our biggest rival a forum to recruit every week, total bullsiht IMO.
And ratings, make me laugh, you really think FSU fans in S. Florida are listening to hear Jimbo every week?

NFL head coaches arent as easily accesible. You do listen to WQAM right? They have rival NFL players, rival local radio hosts, rival NFL assistant coaches being interview all the time throughout the day. Before McTeef..Muschamp came on but it wasnt a weekly spot I agree. Not sure what the whining is all about. Who gives a *****? LOL. Its radio. Video killed the radio star any **** way right?

You are clearly being obtuse, there's a massive difference between an "interview" and a weekly show done by the coach of your biggest rival. Do I really care, no, do I listen to WQAM, no, is it total unadulterated bullchit, yes.

Advertisement
There's far more FSU alums in south Florida than Miami alums. Maybe, the next time broadcast rights come up for renewal, UM can add a stipulation "no Jimbo interviews" to their contract but it's unlikely.

How do you define South Florida?

Dade Broward and palm Beach

That's 560's audience range.

The numbers I found for FSU are 14,138 for Broward, 11,828 for Dade and 10,669 for Palm Beach. That's about 36-37K. According to UM's website, there are 52,155 UM alumni in Dade County alone (and 93K in Florida).

Not sure if you live in SoFla or not but this aint Gville, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Tallahassee, Austin, etc where those teams are the end all, be all 99% of the people who live in those towns either are alumni or they root for the teams...South Fla isnt a college town. In fact you probably have just as many UF, FSU, FIU, FAU fans then you have UM fans. Its about ratings. Sad truth.

Dont be so hard on them. They show UM plenty of love. Joe Rose is a big fan of UM and goes to the games and tailgates with fans as well. Especially for the big games and the opening game.

FIU fans

View attachment 49273

Just out of curiosity..How many people do you think is in UMs core fanbase? Meaning if we are 2-8 heading into our last game and its at home..how many people are there? Maybe FIU was a bad one to throw in there..But I noticed you **** sure just laughed at FIU and not the others..

I'll laugh at FAU in general, and I'll laugh at UCF and USF having that much of a presence in South Florida. As I mentioned in this thread, FSU has 36-37K alumni in Dade, Broward, Palm Beach. Miami has 52K in Dade alone. Now, I know alums aren't the only fans obviously, but there are more Miami fans than those others, even combined, no matter what we (or rival fans) think. It's getting their asses to the games.

Jesus Christ..... You can't patent or trademark the alphabet. That "U" on USF's helmet look nothing like ours and you'd get laughed out of court.

So can I start a fast food hamburger restaurant and use the letter "M" as my logo?

So can I start a fast food hamburger restaurant and use the letter "M" as my logo?
We're talking football helmets.... Not fast food joints. Look at Packers, UGA & Grambling and get back to me.

Advertisement

Yes, but it has to be noticeably different. You can't trademark letters, only logos. So if the M is a different font with different color and/or design, and it cannot be confused for the McDonalds logo, it is fair game. For example the University of Michigan logo is an M, but is noticeably different. So is the M logo for Maya. It doesn't matter the industry.

maya.jpg

We're talking football helmets.... Not fast food joints. Look at Packers, UGA & Grambling and get back to me.

"UGA AD Joel Eaves requested permission from the Packers to proceed with the red and black oval G design. This was in 1963."

That's from wiki.

So the Packers ALLOWED Georgia to use the logo. See the difference?

Yes, but it has to be noticeably different. You can't trademark letters, only logos. So if the M is a different font with different color and/or design, and it cannot be confused for the McDonalds logo, it is fair game. For example the University of Michigan logo is an M, but is noticeably different. So is the M logo for Maya. It doesn't matter the industry.

So you agree with my point. Whether South Florida infringed on our copyright depends on some subjective judgement on how similar the logos are.

I'll tell you this much - it's UM's choice whether to fight to protect its trademark / brand.

You absolutely can. Can you use the same font? No.

Advertisement
USF's "U" is in the shape of a Bull. Lol at this dude claiming copyright

Nah, what's truly funny is how so many of our "fans" constantly go out of their way to white knight for other teams.

And what's even funnier is how many copyright attorneys we have around here. Half these dudes probably work at a taco stand, but online they want to be experts on US intellectual property law.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I take it your not a businesss minded person, and have never been involved in any endeavor where business acumen is required.

Your response is so naive that I'm going to assume you're still in high school and have never had a real job.

Nah, what's truly funny is how so many of our "fans" constantly go out of their way to white knight for other teams.

And what's even funnier is how many copyright attorneys we have around here. Half these dudes probably work at a taco stand, but online they want to be experts on US intellectual property law.

IMG_1746.jpg
Nobody's being a white knight. You fools are just completely misguided. How is that anything like our logo?

View attachment 49285
Nobody's being a white knight. You fools are just completely misguided. How is that anything like our logo?
It isn't. ****....I didn't even know it was a U until he brought it up lol.

Advertisement
Back