Serious Question about WQAM

Are you guys that fucjing clueless to wonder why a sports radio station talks about multiple teams in a market that has fans/alumni in its market? This isn't a communist state controlled radio station with Miami as their Stalin telling them what not to broadcast.

Put your panties back on. I hate fsu but FFS

We don't wonder why captain obvious, we're just discussing that it's crap that it happens, you know on a fan message board, where you know, you talk about football and other bullchit.

Advertisement
Why does the University of Miami's flagship station interview fsu's head coach weekly? Why give them time on the radio in SoFla? I highly doubt our instate rivals are calling Richt for a weekly interview.

WQAM is owned by CBS and they are saying!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Are you guys that fucjing clueless to wonder why a sports radio station talks about multiple teams in a market that has fans/alumni in its market? This isn't a communist state controlled radio station with Miami as their Stalin telling them what not to broadcast.

I agree with you completely it really doesn't matter, but to play Devil's advocate, you can only buy Coke products from all the stores in the University of Miami campus. Money talks! This is a free country and any station can say whatever they want. If WQAM wants to dedicate their broadcast to talking bad about the University of Miami they have every right to do it. With that said the University of Miami has every right to stop coming on WQAM for interviews and to give info, they can look for another station, which would love the exclusives. They both have to weigh the pros and the cons

There's far more FSU alums in south Florida than Miami alums. Maybe, the next time broadcast rights come up for renewal, UM can add a stipulation "no Jimbo interviews" to their contract but it's unlikely.

Advertisement
Why does the University of Miami's flagship station interview fsu's head coach weekly? Why give them time on the radio in SoFla? I highly doubt our instate rivals are calling Richt for a weekly interview.

South Florida is a fcking disgrace when it comes to local pride and rallying around the local club. These idiots act like a pos schools 6 hours away that is 10 minutes from Alabama is their school. That shythole is more Alabama than it is South Florida.

****, UM basically let USF put a **** U on their helmets...the horned U.

Also tell me what legal authority UM has to prevent a school like USF from using the logo that they have?

In terms of the logo. The U logo from the University of Miami can be trademarked. If they can prove that another schools logo is too similar and could be mistaken and hurt the Miami brand they have every right to pursue legal action and make them change. I doubt the U from USF constitutes it, but I am not a lawyer.

Actually I recall Miami suing a couple of high schools in Central Florida a few years back for using the "U" logo without permission.

Advertisement

I agree with you completely it really doesn't matter, but to play Devil's advocate, you can only buy Coke products from all the stores in the University of Miami campus. Money talks! This is a free country and any station can say whatever they want. If WQAM wants to dedicate their broadcast to talking bad about the University of Miami they have every right to do it. With that said the University of Miami has every right to stop coming on WQAM for interviews and to give info, they can look for another station, which would love the exclusives. They both have to weigh the pros and the cons

Not one station in the country only talks about their flagship sponsored team or would refuse interviews from others that people in their market want to hear from.

There's far more FSU alums in south Florida than Miami alums. Maybe, the next time broadcast rights come up for renewal, UM can add a stipulation "no Jimbo interviews" to their contract but it's unlikely.

How do you define South Florida?

How do you define South Florida?

Dade Broward and palm Beach

That's 560's audience range.

Advertisement

Not one station in the country only talks about their flagship sponsored team or would refuse interviews from others that people in their market want to hear from.

I don't know how WQAM and radio stations work, so you're probably right. What I can say is when I lived in Pennsylvania (about an hour away from Philly) they had a channel called Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia or something like that. They only talked about Philly sports and never did I see them interview or give advertising to Pittsburgh teams. Again thats professional teams and a tv network, but it definitely is possible to just talk about one team or city teams. I'm sure there is one for Miami and they talk about the Heat and Dolphins, but aren't interviewing the Orlando Magic or Tampa Bay Bucs. But then again if there is one city that is capable of that it is Miami.

Big difference between an interview and allowing the scumbag HC of our biggest rival from Southern Alabama to do a weekly residency on UM's purported flagship station.

Advertisement

Not sure if you live in SoFla or not but this aint Gville, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Tallahassee, Austin, etc where those teams are the end all, be all 99% of the people who live in those towns either are alumni or they root for the teams...South Fla isnt a college town. In fact you probably have just as many UF, FSU, FIU, FAU fans then you have UM fans. Its about ratings. Sad truth.

Dont be so hard on them. They show UM plenty of love. Joe Rose is a big fan of UM and goes to the games and tailgates with fans as well. Especially for the big games and the opening game.

FIU fans

View attachment 49273

Just out of curiosity..How many people do you think is in UMs core fanbase? Meaning if we are 2-8 heading into our last game and its at home..how many people are there? Maybe FIU was a bad one to throw in there..But I noticed you **** sure just laughed at FIU and not the others..

Not sure if you live in SoFla or not but this aint Gville, Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Tallahassee, Austin, etc where those teams are the end all, be all 99% of the people who live in those towns either are alumni or they root for the teams...South Fla isnt a college town. In fact you probably have just as many UF, FSU, FIU, FAU fans then you have UM fans. Its about ratings. Sad truth.

Dont be so hard on them. They show UM plenty of love. Joe Rose is a big fan of UM and goes to the games and tailgates with fans as well. Especially for the big games and the opening game.

So why don't we have a weekly with McTeef, and the coaches of the entire AFC east, there's plenty of Bills, Jets, Patriots fans in Miami as well.
They give our biggest rival a forum to recruit every week, total bullsiht IMO.
And ratings, make me laugh, you really think FSU fans in S. Florida are listening to hear Jimbo every week?

NFL head coaches arent as easily accesible. You do listen to WQAM right? They have rival NFL players, rival local radio hosts, rival NFL assistant coaches being interview all the time throughout the day. Before McTeef..Muschamp came on but it wasnt a weekly spot I agree. Not sure what the whining is all about. Who gives a *****? LOL. Its radio. Video killed the radio star any **** way right?

Because UM has not asked them to stop! UM has never embraced the terms "Football Power" or "Baseball Power" despite their success. ****, UM basically let USF put a **** U on their helmets...the horned U. Hopefully, the views are changing with Frenk....or UM is just modernizing....ex. IPF and such. UM has always focused on academics and academic superstructure. You can do both.........see Duke, where academics are a priority BUT THEY MAKE IT KNOWN THAT THEY ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! We need to act like a Power to get Power results. A quick phone ends that Jimbo Crap!

You're simple minded. Tell me exactly what UM would say in that conversation that would make an independent entity such as WQAM change their programming?

Also tell me what legal authority UM has to prevent a school like USF from using the logo that they have?

Maybe I'm wrong because I don't live in South Florida, but I thought I heard them call themselves "the flagship University of Miami station" or is that only us that say that? If that is the case they have to have some sort of agreement with the University of Miami that gives them exclusive rights or extra information to be able to say that. If so, the University of Miami has every right to tell them whatever they want and say if it is not to their liking they will look for another station. There are multiple stations that would love exclusives interviews with a coaching staff and breakdowns, it is a huge benefit to both the school and station.

In terms of the logo. The U logo from the University of Miami can be trademarked. If they can prove that another schools logo is too similar and could be mistaken and hurt the Miami brand they have every right to pursue legal action and make them change. I doubt the U from USF constitutes it, but I am not a lawyer.

God, you're dumb

Advertisement
Back