Scratch everything we thought: New mock draft for the Fins

Of course. I don't know if I can stomach letting go of multiple 1rd picks. We can get better at virtually every other position. I'm going to be grappling with this all offseason.
One of Fields or Wilson will be available at 3.

Advertisement
I mean, with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds you're almost reaching a point of diminishing returns by continuing to trade down. Most of the value added in a trade down would be for later drafts. Miami can significantly improve the offense in this draft by leaving their picks untouched.

I was never high on Tua but I agreed the Dolphins should've taken him at 5 last year. The egg on our faces would've been too bitter to handle if somehow the media was correct about him. But in the back of my mind I considered it a win-win because of exactly the situation we find ourselves in -- test Tua and if the flaws about him are correct (average arm, inability to move off first read, poor pocket presence, tendency to force the ball) you can move off him knowing the likelihood of having a high draft pick this year (either by having a poor season or packaging ours and the Texans picks).

It wouldn't surprise me if this the FO's thinking as well. This is not your typical mortgaging the future/eggs in one basket type scenario that would set a franchise way back if they decided to move off their #1 draft pick. Miami can afford to do it with no sweat off their backs.

If Fields or Wilson grade higher than Tua you don't hesitate.
Spot on. Based on Flores' "no sacred cows" statement when he was hired I won't be surprised at all if they trade him.

@DMoney has pointed out (accurately) that Tua performed better than both Mayfield and Allen did in their rookie seasons...and probably did so with less help and a traumatic injury to overcome. Not to mention less practice time. Combined with his hype coming out of college, I think all of that adds up to the Dolphins being able to trade him for a better package than what the Cardinals netted by moving on from Rosen.

The Athletic had an article yesterday that mentioned the possibility of Miami moving on after 1 year, and even had a high ranking NFL exec quoted as saying that if Tua was made available there would be teams lining up. It seems possible that Miami could get a late first this year or perhaps something like a 2 and a 4 this year plus a 2 and a 5/6 next year. If the QB market is as hot as many think it will be, Miami will be able to take advantage of that by trading Tua to someone that misses out on the ability to land one of Fields/Wilson.

All that said, I would expect Grier to shop the #3 pick (why wouldn't he?) to see what offers he has for that. Then weigh the cost/benefit of trading back vs. trading Tua and staying put. If someone is willing to sell the farm to move up (like the Falcons did for Jones, the Eagles for Wentz, the Jets for Darnold, etc.), I think I would trade back. That's even while being 99% sure that Tua isn't the guy. For Miami, they are still building and I think having massive draft capital in 2022 and even 2023 could be too hard to pass up.

I didn't think Tua was the guy when he was still in college. He never had to worry because he hada stellar supporting cast. But if we can't trade for Trevor, then we have get him a stellar supporting cast. I like Najee Harris and I like Davonta Smith as options.

Or...grab Trey Lance and trade Tua for a few picks.
You could say that for Trevor too. He has overwhelmingly skill talent around him compared to the teams he faces in cfb. I think Sunshine is the truth but I don’t think he’ll take the league by storm year One. As far as Tua I think he’ll be fine. Kid came off serious hip injury and surgery. There’s nothing wrong with a QB getting a year or 2 to develop. Especially given the fact of the bs talent around him rn

You could say that for Trevor too. He has overwhelmingly skill talent around him compared to the teams he faces in cfb. I think Sunshine is the truth but I don’t think he’ll take the league by storm year One. As far as Tua I think he’ll be fine. Kid came off serious hip injury and surgery. There’s nothing wrong with a QB getting a year or 2 to develop. Especially given the fact of the bs talent around him rn
True, my opinion is 100% subjective and I'm not saying Tua can't be a great NFL quarterback. In any case, let's put a great offense around him and find out.

Spot on. Based on Flores' "no sacred cows" statement when he was hired I won't be surprised at all if they trade him.

@DMoney has pointed out (accurately) that Tua performed better than both Mayfield and Allen did in their rookie seasons...and probably did so with less help and a traumatic injury to overcome. Not to mention less practice time. Combined with his hype coming out of college, I think all of that adds up to the Dolphins being able to trade him for a better package than what the Cardinals netted by moving on from Rosen.

The Athletic had an article yesterday that mentioned the possibility of Miami moving on after 1 year, and even had a high ranking NFL exec quoted as saying that if Tua was made available there would be teams lining up. It seems possible that Miami could get a late first this year or perhaps something like a 2 and a 4 this year plus a 2 and a 5/6 next year. If the QB market is as hot as many think it will be, Miami will be able to take advantage of that by trading Tua to someone that misses out on the ability to land one of Fields/Wilson.

All that said, I would expect Grier to shop the #3 pick (why wouldn't he?) to see what offers he has for that. Then weigh the cost/benefit of trading back vs. trading Tua and staying put. If someone is willing to sell the farm to move up (like the Falcons did for Jones, the Eagles for Wentz, the Jets for Darnold, etc.), I think I would trade back. That's even while being 99% sure that Tua isn't the guy. For Miami, they are still building and I think having massive draft capital in 2022 and even 2023 could be too hard to pass up.
The risk being if we take up a team willing to trade the farm is we never find ourselves in this good of a position to draft a possible elite QB again. It’s tough to kick the can down the road on QB no matter the haul. It’s easy to imagine a scenario where in order to move up in next year's draft to take a QB we end up trading away much of this year’s haul anyways. And for what? Potentially a QB not as skilled as one of the guys from this year?

It’s all going to depend on how Fields and Wilson grade. Based on what I’ve seen and read so far on Wilson I think the choice would be easy if he’s the one that falls. Fields OTOH not so much.

Advertisement
Jags are not stupid enough to trade Trevor. Trevor is as sure of a thing there is since Luck. I would only stick with Tua if there is a MASSIVE haul for a trade down and that you’re confident the mental aspect of the game clicks for him.

Unfortunately 2022 QB class looks extremely mediocre (think 2019 bad). You’re either sure Tua is your guy or you grab QB at #3.

Last edited:
The risk being if we take up a team willing to trade the farm is we never find ourselves in this good of a position to draft a possible elite QB again. It’s tough to kick the can down the road on QB no matter the haul. It’s easy to imagine a scenario where in order to move up in next year's draft to take a QB we end up trading away much of this year’s haul anyways. And for what? Potentially a QB not as skilled as one of the guys from this year?

It’s all going to depend on how Fields and Wilson grade. Based on what I’ve seen and read so far on Wilson I think the choice would be easy if he’s the one that falls. Fields OTOH not so much.

My biggest concern with Wilson is his footwork and mechanics. On some throws he also fails to get power from his hips. But I do see a little Mahomes in him. I’ll say he has the best arm out of Fields and Tua.

I also like Fields a lot. He struggles reading defenses and decision making also but he has all the physical traits unlike Tua. You can build off of that.

Last edited:
Going to include offseason plan

Sign: Leonard Floyd, Sign Willie Snead

Resign: The backers, Ahmed, and Gaskin

Walk/Cut: Karras, Hurns, Wilson

Coaches: Fire Gailey, Bring in Dorsey as OC. Already the next in line a Buffalo if Daboll leaves.

Draft pick: Give Tua the Josh Rosen treatment. Trade him while you still can. Giving an extra 2nd rounder

Draft-

1) Zach Wilson
1) Terrance Marshall
2) Najee Harris
2) Christian Baremore DL Bama
2) Josh Myers C OSU
3) KeDarius Toney WR
4) Charles Snowden edge UVA
6) Khalil Herbert RB VT
6) Thayer Munford OT OSU
7) Jimmy Morrissey OL Pitt
This is terrible

Advertisement
I think his hip problems have affected him more then the dolphins are acknowledging. Time to get more top level competition for Tua.

Rumors that Deshaun Watson might become available to trade for. We have the draft capital to get him. I would go for it.

Manifest Ken!

Attachments

• 19A13038-BAF0-4B02-B2EF-CCC7090E63FE.jpeg
    19A13038-BAF0-4B02-B2EF-CCC7090E63FE.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13
Rumors that Deshaun Watson might become available to trade for. We have the draft capital to get him. I would go for it.
Tua, their first and second back. Basically Tunsil for Watson lmao. But I’d trade the farm for Watson 100%. This is like Herro for Harden again. I’d personally drive Herro and Tua to the airport.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My biggest concern with Wilson is his footwork and mechanics. On some throws he also fails to get power from his hips. But I do see a little Mahomes in him. I’ll say he has the best arm out of Fields and Tua.

I also like Fields a lot. He struggles reading defenses and decision making also but he has all the physical traits unlike Tua. You can build off of that.
I meant it the other way around. Wilson would instantly be my guy but Fields I struggle a bit on.

TBF, I haven't seen enough of Wilson to be definitive about it but in what I've seen of him it's funny how Mahomes also came to mind for me. I want to keep watching. Fields for me is a guy who I've always called out as a system QB and now that I've cooled off the Clemson game I keep returning to that same thought. The Bama game is big.

If he’s really available, you trade the world for him. Those kind of guys never hit the Imarket.
I wouldn't. Look, if he really wants out of HOU no need to trade the world. We just won 10 games with a no name backfield and no name receivers (they aren't really no names but you know what I mean)

You only do this if you aren't sold on Tua. If you aren't, I maybe go with Tua and our #18 for Watson. We then still have leverage to trade back from 3 and acquire picks. At the most it is Tua and our #3 but that is steep and I would just draft a QB at three and then have a competition...Use the loser in a trade at a later time.

Too bad the old regime isn't there because I think we could have traded fitzmagic for watson straight away!

Advertisement
If he’s really available, you trade the world for him. Those kind of guys never hit the market.
I saw that an unnamed NFL exec said it would take 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and a player to start the conversation.

If they are willing to listen then a trade is doable from Miami's side. Even if Houston isn't interested in Tua, Miami could move him to someone else for more than Rosen netted and flip those picks to Houston along with both of their own firsts and seconds this year...plus their first next year.

The reason I would be confident in Miami's ability to move Tua is because there will be more than one QB hungry team that misses out on one of the top 3 QBs in this draft (and even #4, Lance).

I saw that an unnamed NFL exec said it would take 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and a player to start the conversation.

If they are willing to listen then a trade is doable from Miami's side. Even if Houston isn't interested in Tua, Miami could move him to someone else for more than Rosen netted and flip those picks to Houston along with both of their own firsts and seconds this year...plus their first next year.

The reason I would be confident in Miami's ability to move Tua is because there will be more than one QB hungry team that misses out on one of the top 3 QBs in this draft (and even #4, Lance).
Then for me it would be a no unless like you said it was just for the picks we got for trading Tua.

We just don't know as much as the coaches because they did not open up the playbook when he was in and his receiving options were injured/limited.

If Tua is the guy...trade down or draft the OT the line is set forever and we can get receiver at 18
If no Tua? Maybe trade him and draft the guy you like the most at #3 unless it is for Watson as long as you don't mortgage the futue.
No Tua or trade partners? I would take the QB you feel you are in love with like the Cardinals did and you still have your pick at 18

I haven't watched Wilson but for a couple of times and he looked good. I like this thread you guys have some pretty good ideas it is interesting.

It’s incredible to watch the knee jerk reactions to Tua on here.

Sunday at morning 1:00 it’s all Gailey’s fault snd you’re a ****** if you don’t see Tua as the second coming. Sunday at 4 o’clock it’s time to move on.

Lmao.
Knee jerk? People are just talking back and forth about what ifs. I think that is what opinion boards are about no?

Lmao.

No doubt you go get him. He's a top 5 QB in my opinion you take that if he's available. Can't pass up that opportunity.

Advertisement
Back