Scratch everything we thought: New mock draft for the Fins

Would be fine with Miami taking Wilson at #3 but still leery after taking John Beck in 2007 lol

Advertisement

🤔
2527681B-2C20-4A28-8BF5-30C1ACAC8265.jpeg

If the Dolphins stay at pick 3 and DON'T take Smith, someone should be arrested for stupidity.
He did look really good last night but I disagree with you. WR is deep and success really isn't dependent upon where you were taken in the draft.

If you love Tua and stay at 3 I would maybe take the tackle. Your line is then set for 10 years and we will still get a heck of a WR at 18 if we go that route.

Advertisement
He did look really good last night but I disagree with you. WR is deep and success really isn't dependent upon where you were taken in the draft.

If you love Tua and stay at 3 I would maybe take the tackle. Your line is then set for 10 years and we will still get a heck of a WR at 18 if we go that route.

And I disagree with you as well. When it comes to our WR corp we need an ELITE guy that Tua can grow with. That elite guy will be there at #3. There are other tackles projected in our #18 range.

You don’t take a WR at #3 unless it’s an Andre Johnson type. You can’t take a 170 lb Wr at 3. No way. You trade back or if nothing good enough then you take Sewell. There’s a good amount of quality WRs in this draft.

Well then you and I clearly have a different opinion of Smith's ceiling. He's ABSOLUTELY worth the #3 pick. Just because the "draft is deep" at WR means nothing. The Dolphins have one of the worst WR corp in the league and need an ELITE playmaker. There is a clear step down from Smith/Chase to whoever you have ranked #3.

#3 has to be a WR if you keep the pick.

Knowing Flores and their philosophy for rebuilding this team, if they don’t like their trade back possibilities, they’re taking Sewell at no. 3. And I would be absolutely fine with that.

Sign a top WR in free agency, and get another WR at 18 or in the 2nd round.

Advertisement
And I disagree with you as well. When it comes to our WR corp we need an ELITE guy that Tua can grow with. That elite guy will be there at #3. There are other tackles projected in our #18 range.
So I guess you have to ask yourself: Are we getting the next Santana Moss if we draft Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb at 15 - or are we getting the next John Ross?

Keep this in mind - 19 of the 77 wide receivers taken in the first round this century have or had fewer than 100 career receptions in the NFL.

Also, average draft position for OL in HOF is around 2.0 and for WR just shy of round 3.0. I played with the numbers a bit.

Just think you can find WR later and most successful teams always have the top lines on both sides of the ball. Not OT or QB drop back and pick up your wideout you covet and add picks.

So I guess you have to ask yourself: Are we getting the next Santana Moss if we draft Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb at 15 - or are we getting the next John Ross?

Keep this in mind - 19 of the 77 wide receivers taken in the first round this century have or had fewer than 100 career receptions in the NFL.

Also, average draft position for OL in HOF is around 2.0 and for WR just shy of round 3.0. I played with the numbers a bit.

Just think you can find WR later and most successful teams always have the top lines on both sides of the ball. Not OT or QB drop back and pick up your wideout you covet and add picks.

I'll take my chances with Smith, but thanks.

History disagrees with you as well. Regardless, hope we hit it out of the park regardless of the route we take.

I disagree with your interpretation of history. History says most great quarterbacks have a great wide receiver. There is no AUTOMATIC avenue in getting that great WR, but to me you take that chance with a guy like Smith that pretty much checks every box. You could sign Allen Robinson and/or Chris Godwin this offseason and they could bust via injury or whatever. In the NFL nothing is guaranteed and nothing lasts that long....so when an opportunity comes along to grab a wide receiver that just broke every record in the best college conference, and did so right out of the gate since his freshman year.....in my opinion you're be a pure ******* idiot to pass on that.

The only thing you DON'T do in the first round is take a running back. I wouldn't even draft one in the second round.

Advertisement
Do you give up Tua + JaMarr Chase or Penai Sewell or Devonta Smith (whoever you take at 3) + whoever you take at 18 for Deshaun Watson?

I mean...ya...you should. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I disagree with your interpretation of history. History says most great quarterbacks have a great wide receiver. There is no AUTOMATIC avenue in getting that great WR, but to me you take that chance with a guy like Smith that pretty much checks every box. You could sign Allen Robinson and/or Chris Godwin this offseason and they could bust via injury or whatever. In the NFL nothing is guaranteed and nothing lasts that long....so when an opportunity comes along to grab a wide receiver that just broke every record in the best college conference, and did so right out of the gate since his freshman year.....in my opinion you're be a pure ******* idiot to pass on that.

The only thing you DON'T do in the first round is take a running back. I wouldn't even draft one in the second round.
I don't interpret history you either accept the numbers or you do not. There have been a lot of idiots during drafts...

1996 Harrison taken 19th. Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, and Eddie Kennison taken before him. TERRELL OWENS TAKEN LATE IN THE 3RD ROUND.
2004 Larry fitzgerald worked at #3 love that guy - Looked like a weak receiver class though.
1985 Jerry Rice picked at 16. GM's went with the can't miss prospects of Al Toon at 9 and Eddie Brown at 13. Some above average guy named Andre Reed went in Round 4.

Nobody knows how this will work out. Why not Chase from LSU who did what Smith did this year last year? Outperformed Jefferson who looked fairly decent for MN this year. Just decent. Some more numbers for you...

2014 draft OBJ was taken 12th. Sammy Watkins was picked ahead of him and so was Mike Evans. DAVANTE ADAMS taken 53rd and Allen Robinson was in the same round. Sounds like trading down for added picks and then WR second round way to go there.

AJ Brown 51st, DK Metcalf 64, Stefon Diggs 146 not a typo, Michael Thomas 47, Tyreek Hill 165 again not a typo, DeAndre Hopkins was taken 27th but the smart people took the can't miss prospect of Tavon Austin at #8..

P.S. - A long time ago this guy named Brady used to win with plug them in wide receivers.

Do you give up Tua + JaMarr Chase or Penai Sewell or Devonta Smith (whoever you take at 3) + whoever you take at 18 for Deshaun Watson?

I mean...ya...you should. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
I don't. Maybe Tua and our #3 tops or add a later draft pick. Not both our ones. Tua won 10 games give or take and you can grab a QB at 3 if you aren't sure. He gets hurt you are back to square one.

Build around a QB and should he get hurt you have the pieces around him to at least ensure your backup has a shot. Just me though.

Advertisement
I don't interpret history you either accept the numbers or you do not. There have been a lot of idiots during drafts...

1996 Harrison taken 19th. Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, and Eddie Kennison taken before him. TERRELL OWENS TAKEN LATE IN THE 3RD ROUND.
2004 Larry fitzgerald worked at #3 love that guy - Looked like a weak receiver class though.
1985 Jerry Rice picked at 16. GM's went with the can't miss prospects of Al Toon at 9 and Eddie Brown at 13. Some above average guy named Andre Reed went in Round 4.

Nobody knows how this will work out. Why not Chase from LSU who did what Smith did this year last year? Outperformed Jefferson who looked fairly decent for MN this year. Just decent. Some more numbers for you...

2014 draft OBJ was taken 12th. Sammy Watkins was picked ahead of him and so was Mike Evans. DAVANTE ADAMS taken 53rd and Allen Robinson was in the same round. Sounds like trading down for added picks and then WR second round way to go there.

AJ Brown 51st, DK Metcalf 64, Stefon Diggs 146 not a typo, Michael Thomas 47, Tyreek Hill 165 again not a typo, DeAndre Hopkins was taken 27th but the smart people took the can't miss prospect of Tavon Austin at #8..

P.S. - A long time ago this guy named Brady used to win with plug them in wide receivers.

Give me Smith at #3 all day. Given his profile, it's a chance I'm willing to take. The fact of the matter is ANY guy you take there can bust. Give me the guy who has produced at a historic level, in a tough conference, from the DAY he step foot on a college campus.

Oh, and who also happens to play our #1 position of need, a position which also bolsters the long term outlook for your current #1 asset which you are suppose to building around.

History can also be a bad future indicator. History tells you it's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to hire 5 CONSECUTIVE head coaches that you eventually fire, and none of which can get another head coaching job in the future.

We have an example of this right in our own beloved college football program. History laughs at Blake James.

My point is, every situation should be measured differently given the set of facts available at the time of the decision. Playing revisionist history you can reverse engineer a million stats that can seem to give you a clear picture of what YOU SHOULD do, but ignores the particular details that just might make the decision you are currently facing different altogether.

Stud receiver, stud production, played against top tier talent, and no character issues.

NFL team with the worst WR depth chart in the league and who is trying to groom a young QB.

You won't find a match more made in heaven.

History can also be a bad future indicator. History tells you it's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to hire 5 CONSECUTIVE head coaches that you eventually fire, and none of which can get another head coaching job in the future.

We have an example of this right in our own beloved college football program. History laughs at Blake James.

My point is, every situation should be measured differently given the set of facts available at the time of the decision. Playing revisionist history you can reverse engineer a million stats that can seem to give you a clear picture of what YOU SHOULD do, but ignores the particular details that just might make the decision you are currently facing different altogether.

Stud receiver, stud production, played against top tier talent, and no character issues.

NFL team with the worst WR depth chart in the league and who is trying to groom a young QB.

You won't find a match more made in heaven.
We can't both be correct so I am sorry but you must be the person that is wrong. If Tua is my guy I am trading down for picks. Not too far though because I want Smith or Chase.

Where did we take Parker at? Where did we take Ginn at? Call me shell shocked. None of our greatest wide receivers were first rounders I don't believe.

Be the better person here and look in the mirror and say "I am wrong" lol. Good debate though and I have no problem if we take him at 3 and he balls out.

I don't. Maybe Tua and our #3 tops or add a later draft pick. Not both our ones. Tua won 10 games give or take and you can grab a QB at 3 if you aren't sure. He gets hurt you are back to square one.

Build around a QB and should he get hurt you have the pieces around him to at least ensure your backup has a shot. Just me though.

A top quarterback is worth anything it takes to get that QB.

If you're pinching pennies over whoever you take at 18, you just trying to get on base and not hit home runs. We aren't talking about Kirk Cousins or Rob Johnson here, brother. Talking about a 25 year old Top...10(...7?) QB in the league and the price being a 2 firsts is basically standard for some mid...now you're talking a Top 10 guy...price of the brick goes up...and again, I like Tua...but there are only so many QBs at Watson's level in the league...and you're hoping Tua gets there. Watson is already there.

IMO, if the Dolphins aren't game...I think the perfect team for Watson would be Pittsburgh. They just don't have the capital that the Dolphins do, but if the Dolphins come in cheap, if I were Pittsburgh, I'd mortgage quite a bit of draft capital for him as Ben rides off in the sunset.

Advertisement
Back