Scout says Miami QBs not FBS quality

58straight

Junior
The Canes must hope that they will eventually win enough to be able not only to lure more projected first- or second-day NFL draft picks but also to persuade some of them to return to school for their senior season, as Alabama did this month with left tackle Alex Leatherwood and Clemson did with running back Travis Etienne.

One NFL scout was mystified why four UM juniors turned pro, saying he doubts any will be selected before day 3.

In fairness, there were family health and financial issues in play for cornerback Trajan Bandy. DeeJay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Jon Garvin haven’t fully explained their decisions. In Dallas’ situation, you can make the case that wear and tear has a corrosive effect on running backs, and you can understand the desire to begin your pro career sooner than later.

Here’s what the veteran scout said on the four:

On running back Dallas: “I gave him a late fourth-, early fifth-round grade. Unless you’re a stud horse who can carry 20-to-30 times a game, running backs are a dime a dozen. He’s an undersized college running back who showed good run skills. His hands are good. Has straight-line speed, but I don’t think he’s a swivel-hip type of guy. Has instincts, vision and awareness in both phases — passing game and running game.

On defensive end Garvin: “Third-day guy, maybe sixth round. Tall and athletic and good size. He may have a chance as an outside linebacker, but that is really difficult to do to go from a hand-on-the-ground [player] to try to play linebacker if you haven’t done it. I think he’s more of a practice squad guy.”

On receiver Thomas: He said he won’t be surprised if he goes undrafted because of off-field issues. But he said Thomas, at his best, is “a third-round guy. Obviously he can run, good quickness, tough enough, can track the deep ball. But he’s undersized and with the off-field stuff, he could easily drop out of the draft.”

The scout said Bandy projects as an undrafted free agent because he’s undersized and coming off a pedestrian no-interception season.

That scout said he hasn’t yet studied new UM quarterback D’Eriq King as an NFL prospect but this much is clear: “These quarterbacks they had last year are not FBS [Power 5] quarterbacks on that roster. They didn’t show anything that resembled a D-1 quarterback in that FIU game or another game I watched. Accuracy was awful. The FIU game was an embarrassment.”

That scout said he has never seen a worse collection of draft picks among UM, UF and FSU in a single draft than this upcoming one.

The best prospect among the three schools? He said he has a third-round grade on UF defensive end Jabari Zuniga: “A competitive kid and can rush.”

▪ Alonzo Highsmith, who parted ways with the Cleveland Browns last week, commended UM’s hiring of Ed Reed for the chief of staff position, the same job that he was considered for but, according to Highsmith, never offered.

"Ed Reed coming back to Miami is like Jordan going back to North Carolina,” Highsmith said. “Cane Legend, HOF [Hall of Famer] and anything else that describes great... Great hire. Pulling for him.”

Advertisement
Not sure why Deejay leaving is getting questioned so much... he showed everything he's gonna show. Garvin was absolutely insane to leave and Jeff Thomas will struggle to keep his job flipping burgers in three months.

Bandy, despite the family issues, doesn't make sense either. He obviously hasn't been getting paid the last three years, is coming off probably his worst season, and could have really helped himself with another year. I also wouldn't think he has his degree yet as a true Jr.

As for the QB's... if anyone sees Jon Richt, please punch him in the face and take his lunch money.

Coming back another year wouldn't have made much of a difference for Dallas. He is what he is. Garvin's decision was terrible, but again, probably leaving early doesn't make a difference since I think he would have been last off the bench with our crop of DEs. Unlikely his stock would go up. By far the worst decision was JT4's. He had a pretty bad year with huge blunders, and has off the field concerns. If he came back in the Lashlee spread and put up good numbers and avoided trouble, it's basically a guarantee he would have been drafted. I agree that he goes undrafted or maybe some team takes a flyer on him with a very very late round pick. Bandy could have made a case for being a late round draft pick (maybe he could be a ST contributor somewhere) with a good 2020. But reality is that he isn't going to get any taller. The trend in the NFL is for taller corners. Would have been nice to have him back, but another good year in college probably doesn't do much for him.

Advertisement
He's talking more about his multiple mock drafts for the 2020 draft; This guy should just shut his mug already. There's a reason when it comes with the NFL draft, there is always the busts & the gems every single year; With the Miami program itself.

Ray Lewis wasn't even considered to be the best linebacker when he declared; He was picked 26th. Jonathan Ogden, in the same year wasn't even the first option for the Ravens owner Art Modell.

Its funny this scout doesn't even drop his name to go along with the article.. I don't have a subscription; Most likely was a junior varsity ride the bench through his senior year in high school.. Just in case he's wrong with his mock draft assessments, he can reveal his true self and lie about being the best scout ever.

More dopey anonymous scout blather. Said all the same **** everyone on here has already said.

And I don’t give a fck if King ever plays a down at QB in the NFL. If he stays healthy he’s going to euthanize opponents this year.

He needs to stay upright to do that.

Coming back another year wouldn't have made much of a difference for Dallas. He is what he is. Garvin's decision was terrible, but again, probably leaving early doesn't make a difference since I think he would have been last off the bench with our crop of DEs. Unlikely his stock would go up. By far the worst decision was JT4's. He had a pretty bad year with huge blunders, and has off the field concerns. If he came back in the Lashlee spread and put up good numbers and avoided trouble, it's basically a guarantee he would have been drafted. I agree that he goes undrafted or maybe some team takes a flyer on him with a very very late round pick. Bandy could have made a case for being a late round draft pick (maybe he could be a ST contributor somewhere) with a good 2020. But reality is that he isn't going to get any taller. The trend in the NFL is for taller corners. Would have been nice to have him back, but another good year in college probably doesn't do much for him.
I would’ve agreed with you had Willis not gone undrafted. That guy had a monster year and teams still held the off the field stuff against him.

So based on that precedent Thomas would’ve gone undrafted next year regardless of the season. Didn’t Thomas have issues in high school too?

Advertisement
Watching the fiu game and maybe I’d agree but that’s a gross overreaction. You know how many bad fbs qbs there are that are worse than what Williams/Perry did statistically last year which wasn’t bad to begin with combined. **** jarren’s numbers wasn’t bad in the 10 games he’s started and played most of the reps at 19 tds 7 ints 62% 2195 yards.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Considering that two UDFA RB’s just participated in the Super Bowl, that’s not the worst case scenario for DJ. RB is a spot where guys tend to latch on quick.

Don’t understand the Garvin evaluation. Good measurables, did lack production his Jr year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back