Scout says Miami QBs not FBS quality

You saying perry is better than King? Stop it

No the winning % stat does, also this new transfer in qb is only round 5'10, has never faced a defense better than the one he's going up against in practice, and perry is about to start practicing in an offense that'll be easier for him to play in and complement his skill sets that he came into UM with, plus he has the better arm!

Advertisement
The Canes must hope that they will eventually win enough to be able not only to lure more projected first- or second-day NFL draft picks but also to persuade some of them to return to school for their senior season, as Alabama did this month with left tackle Alex Leatherwood and Clemson did with running back Travis Etienne.

One NFL scout was mystified why four UM juniors turned pro, saying he doubts any will be selected before day 3.

In fairness, there were family health and financial issues in play for cornerback Trajan Bandy. DeeJay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Jon Garvin haven’t fully explained their decisions. In Dallas’ situation, you can make the case that wear and tear has a corrosive effect on running backs, and you can understand the desire to begin your pro career sooner than later.

Here’s what the veteran scout said on the four:

On running back Dallas: “I gave him a late fourth-, early fifth-round grade. Unless you’re a stud horse who can carry 20-to-30 times a game, running backs are a dime a dozen. He’s an undersized college running back who showed good run skills. His hands are good. Has straight-line speed, but I don’t think he’s a swivel-hip type of guy. Has instincts, vision and awareness in both phases — passing game and running game.

On defensive end Garvin: “Third-day guy, maybe sixth round. Tall and athletic and good size. He may have a chance as an outside linebacker, but that is really difficult to do to go from a hand-on-the-ground [player] to try to play linebacker if you haven’t done it. I think he’s more of a practice squad guy.”

On receiver Thomas: He said he won’t be surprised if he goes undrafted because of off-field issues. But he said Thomas, at his best, is “a third-round guy. Obviously he can run, good quickness, tough enough, can track the deep ball. But he’s undersized and with the off-field stuff, he could easily drop out of the draft.”

The scout said Bandy projects as an undrafted free agent because he’s undersized and coming off a pedestrian no-interception season.

That scout said he hasn’t yet studied new UM quarterback D’Eriq King as an NFL prospect but this much is clear: “These quarterbacks they had last year are not FBS [Power 5] quarterbacks on that roster. They didn’t show anything that resembled a D-1 quarterback in that FIU game or another game I watched. Accuracy was awful. The FIU game was an embarrassment.”

That scout said he has never seen a worse collection of draft picks among UM, UF and FSU in a single draft than this upcoming one.

The best prospect among the three schools? He said he has a third-round grade on UF defensive end Jabari Zuniga: “A competitive kid and can rush.”

▪ Alonzo Highsmith, who parted ways with the Cleveland Browns last week, commended UM’s hiring of Ed Reed for the chief of staff position, the same job that he was considered for but, according to Highsmith, never offered.

"Ed Reed coming back to Miami is like Jordan going back to North Carolina,” Highsmith said. “Cane Legend, HOF [Hall of Famer] and anything else that describes great... Great hire. Pulling for him.”

Fok him! Or her !

No the winning % stat does, also this new transfer in qb is only round 5'10, has never faced a defense better than the one he's going up against in practice, and perry is about to start practicing in an offense that'll be easier for him to play in and complement his skill sets that he came into UM with, plus he has the better arm!
I like perry as a backup and I'm glad he didnt transfer but I think we've seen close to his ceiling, the competition king played against is not power 5 but if you put perry in his place on that houston team no way in **** he has the type of production King did, scoring 50 TDs is special even playing group of 5 comp. Height im not concerned about

Jonathan Garvin like most speed rush oriented pass rushers is they tend to just rush up the field based off of their speed; Happens with at every level though. When the Jets played the Colts when they had Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis. Mathis whose bread & butter was the speed rush always worked against him as Mark Sanchez was the QB both playoff games, it'd be a run or a short drop back more often then not though.

Traja Bandy needs to have good testing results at the combine to be a early ish day 3-pick. He's more suited to play the slot, even then though the receivers who are able to reach a above average top speed will give him problems.

Jeff Thomas if he tests good; I hope he goes to a team that doesn't try and force him to play the majority of the snaps. I see a lot of Tyreek Hill what ifs. DeSean Jackson is a better comparison as they both get to their top speed in a heartbeat but, they are both similar in stature.. Jack of all trades kind of, but above average skill set.

DeeJay Dallas, I wish the Jets would draft. Isaiah Crowell would have been the best possible solution for the Jets lack of running back depth in 2019 with the lack of any o-line improvement; DeeJay Dallas I'm guessing would be available in the late 3rd to 4th/5th round range.

Advertisement
4EC17F54-38C3-4243-B1E6-2C4C8551BCA7.jpeg

Advertisement
He’s right about our QBs and the juniors but his analysis of Deejay Dallas is horrible.

“An undersized straight-line back?” He’s 220 pounds with moves.

Thought the same thing. In what world is Deejay undersized? This scout is a dope. Deejay is going to do some things in the league. He is more then a dime a dozen back. Can’t wait to bump this thread at some point in the next two years.

Not sure why Deejay leaving is getting questioned so much... he showed everything he's gonna show. Garvin was absolutely insane to leave and Jeff Thomas will struggle to keep his job flipping burgers in three months.

Bandy, despite the family issues, doesn't make sense either. He obviously hasn't been getting paid the last three years, is coming off probably his worst season, and could have really helped himself with another year. I also wouldn't think he has his degree yet as a true Jr.

As for the QB's... if anyone sees Jon Richt, please punch him in the face and take his lunch money.

The term "Laugh Out Loud" is overused.
But man....after I read this...

The Dallas and Zuniga takes are awful. Zuniga is not even the 3rd best prospect on his own team.

He's talking more about his multiple mock drafts for the 2020 draft; This guy should just shut his mug already. There's a reason when it comes with the NFL draft, there is always the busts & the gems every single year; With the Miami program itself.

Ray Lewis wasn't even considered to be the best linebacker when he declared; He was picked 26th. Jonathan Ogden, in the same year wasn't even the first option for the Ravens owner Art Modell.

Its funny this scout doesn't even drop his name to go along with the article.. I don't have a subscription; Most likely was a junior varsity ride the bench through his senior year in high school.. Just in case he's wrong with his mock draft assessments, he can reveal his true self and lie about being the best scout ever.
no way its a legit article

Advertisement
The Canes must hope that they will eventually win enough to be able not only to lure more projected first- or second-day NFL draft picks but also to persuade some of them to return to school for their senior season, as Alabama did this month with left tackle Alex Leatherwood and Clemson did with running back Travis Etienne.

One NFL scout was mystified why four UM juniors turned pro, saying he doubts any will be selected before day 3.

In fairness, there were family health and financial issues in play for cornerback Trajan Bandy. DeeJay Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Jon Garvin haven’t fully explained their decisions. In Dallas’ situation, you can make the case that wear and tear has a corrosive effect on running backs, and you can understand the desire to begin your pro career sooner than later.

Here’s what the veteran scout said on the four:

On running back Dallas: “I gave him a late fourth-, early fifth-round grade. Unless you’re a stud horse who can carry 20-to-30 times a game, running backs are a dime a dozen. He’s an undersized college running back who showed good run skills. His hands are good. Has straight-line speed, but I don’t think he’s a swivel-hip type of guy. Has instincts, vision and awareness in both phases — passing game and running game.

On defensive end Garvin: “Third-day guy, maybe sixth round. Tall and athletic and good size. He may have a chance as an outside linebacker, but that is really difficult to do to go from a hand-on-the-ground [player] to try to play linebacker if you haven’t done it. I think he’s more of a practice squad guy.”

On receiver Thomas: He said he won’t be surprised if he goes undrafted because of off-field issues. But he said Thomas, at his best, is “a third-round guy. Obviously he can run, good quickness, tough enough, can track the deep ball. But he’s undersized and with the off-field stuff, he could easily drop out of the draft.”

The scout said Bandy projects as an undrafted free agent because he’s undersized and coming off a pedestrian no-interception season.

That scout said he hasn’t yet studied new UM quarterback D’Eriq King as an NFL prospect but this much is clear: “These quarterbacks they had last year are not FBS [Power 5] quarterbacks on that roster. They didn’t show anything that resembled a D-1 quarterback in that FIU game or another game I watched. Accuracy was awful. The FIU game was an embarrassment.”

That scout said he has never seen a worse collection of draft picks among UM, UF and FSU in a single draft than this upcoming one.

The best prospect among the three schools? He said he has a third-round grade on UF defensive end Jabari Zuniga: “A competitive kid and can rush.”

▪ Alonzo Highsmith, who parted ways with the Cleveland Browns last week, commended UM’s hiring of Ed Reed for the chief of staff position, the same job that he was considered for but, according to Highsmith, never offered.

"Ed Reed coming back to Miami is like Jordan going back to North Carolina,” Highsmith said. “Cane Legend, HOF [Hall of Famer] and anything else that describes great... Great hire. Pulling for him.”

I stopped reading after this idiot said DJ Dallas was undersized! The kid is 220-225 pounds, and he by himself skull ****ed the Gators, a so called might SEC defense!

Garvin should've came back, a Senior year of production for a DE always helps in the draft when you're not a physical freak of nature, but it was clear he mailed it in this season because he had one foot out the door, which is sad because he was heralded as a really good team guy coming out of HS by his Coaches.

Bandy should've came back too, I understand he's got situations to deal with at home, but in order to maximize his earning potentiality a Senior season would've helped him drastically by moving him up the draft board & making him more money. He's gonna be in a fight for his life as a 6th/7th/UDFA practice squad guy, sincerely doubt he even makes it past training camp.

JT4 would've played himself into a Mid 2nd round - to high 3rd round pick had he came back another year & played in Lashlee's offense. He cost himself hundreds of thousands of dollars by leaving early.

And the scout was correct on the QB's, they were horrendous last year, there were at least 4 or 5 FCS QB's that significantly outplayed the 3 stooges.

King will be a major improvement in on field play & locker room leadership.

Last edited:
He’s right about our QBs and the juniors but his analysis of Deejay Dallas is horrible.

“An undersized straight-line back?” He’s 220 pounds with moves.
I'd be shocked if Deejay didnt get a day 2 grade. He's a healthy Jay Ajayi.

Advertisement
They always say this ******* ****, but our boys end up making the roster. They ******* Canes, man.

After reading his assessment of Dallas, that guy is a NFL scRout. It’s a non-zero chance that Dallas has a better NFL career than Etienne.

Think some didn't get what he's trying to say about the qbs.our qbs have the have some talent but don't have the heart nor the desire .deejay on the other hand has talent+heart and desire.think he going to surprise some people next year in the nfl.

Advertisement
Back