Schefter: CFB is going to happen this season

I think the NFL has a better shot at playing than CFB. The optics of unpaid, mostly poor, African American teenagers being expected to play football in the midst of a pandemic is terrible.

Note: I'm not saying them actually playing in the fall is that risky, or any more risky than the risk of CTE or taking a spinal in a game. But the optics are awful.

At least in the NFL they are getting paid and they are grown men making decisions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Low chance there will be fans in the stands. There is a high chance they try to play though.

The talk of a potential 2020 CFB season is re one without fans in attendance.

I’d go to a football game in September. I don’t get what the crazy risk is. I wouldn’t want an 80 year old battling cancer to go to a game, or to be exposed to someone who just went to one. There are reasonable precautions, and then there is helicopter parenting.

There is no such thing as a risk-free existence. At times, there is more risk in not taking any.

I’d go to a football game in September. I don’t get what the crazy risk is. I wouldn’t want an 80 year old battling cancer to go to a game, or to be exposed to someone who just went to one. There are reasonable precautions, and then there is helicopter parenting.

There is no such thing as a risk-free existence. At times, there is more risk in not taking any.

I think your point of view is completely reasonable. However, it's about the optics, not the actual risk.

Advertisement
I think your point of view is completely reasonable. However, it's about the optics, not the actual risk.

I get it, and can’t disagree with you. But we can’t make decisions such as these based on feelings. I can’t disagree that they won’t be and there won’t be in-fighting on that basis, but it will be wrong.

There is a time for flattening the curve, and once that has been done, it will be time to reopen the world for business with sensible mitigation measures in place and expectations that individuals will exercise reasonable discretion and precaution. That time is approaching, and testing and therapeutics will be important parts of making that happen.

We will be a long way from where we are right now in five months in our abilities on many fronts to fight, treat, and prevent this disease.

I get it, and can’t disagree with you. But we can’t make decisions such as these based on feelings. I can’t disagree that they won’t be and there won’t be in-fighting on that basis, but it will be wrong.

There is a time for flattening the curve, and once that has been done, it will be time to reopen the world for business with sensible mitigation measures in place and expectations that individuals will exercise reasonable discretion and precaution. That time is approaching, and testing and therapeutics will be important parts of making that happen.

We will be a long way from where we are right now in five months in our abilities on many fronts to fight, treat, and prevent this disease.

Within the next 2 months a lot of life is going to open back up, in large part because it can't go on this way. But when it comes to sports played in stadiums and arenas? I don't see that happening until there is a vaccine, which could be as soon as next January. But CFB this year is a pipe dream IMO.

I think the NFL has a better shot at playing than CFB. The optics of unpaid, mostly poor, African American teenagers being expected to play football in the midst of a pandemic is terrible.

Note: I'm not saying them actually playing in the fall is that risky, or any more risky than the risk of CTE or taking a spinal in a game. But the optics are awful.

At least in the NFL they are getting paid and they are grown men making decisions.
No doubt the NFL plays before college. There's no way the NFL season gets called off. Modified? Sure. Canceled? Absolutely-freakin-not!

Advertisement
Having fans at the games is too risky, but expecting unpaid, poor African American teenagers to play the games is fine. You see how that comes off?

It’s not about the risk to the fans. It’s about spreading the disease, which is more likely with a large crowd.

If the players are going to lectures in the fall, which is no guarantee but a reasonable assumption, they are safe enough to play football.

It’s not about the risk to the fans. It’s about spreading the disease, which is more likely with a large crowd.

If the players are going to lectures in the fall, which is no guarantee but a reasonable assumption, they are safe enough to play football.

It's not about "safe enough." College athletes are at almost zero risk of getting a serious case of C19*.

It's about the optics.

*maybe Navaughn Donaldson being the exception

Advertisement
It's not about "safe enough." College athletes are at almost zero risk of getting a serious case of C19*.

It's about the optics.

Yeah, I honestly worry about some of those overweight linemen.

The discussion of optics is premature. It’s early April. We don’t know the optics in the fall. If numbers keep going down and things keep opening up, the optics will be a lot different.

The issue is that colleges want to make a decision in late May. That tells me they will probably delay the season with the expectation of having fans.

The LaFave Effect:

The older guys will remember this chick, Debra Lafave: 'I'm too pretty for prison"... She was right they didn't send her.
The Banks in 2008: "We're too Big to Fail"... They were right, got a bailout as a lot of the middle class waved bye to their houses.
NCAA / NFL Football During Pandemic "Too much money involved to not have a season"...Guess what?
Debra_Lafave_(mug_shot).jpg

of course they will have a season to much $$$$$ that basically funds all athletic programs and also funds "boated NCAA group

Advertisement
Yeah, I honestly worry about some of those overweight linemen.

The discussion of optics is premature. It’s early April. We don’t know the optics in the fall. If numbers keep going down and things keep opening up, the optics will be a lot different.

The issue is that colleges want to make a decision in late May. That tells me they will probably delay the season with the expectation of having fans.

We know there will be no vaccine approved for human use by August. Again, the optics will be unpaid, predominantly poor African American student athletes being expected to play football to generate billions in revenue while there is a pandemic circling the globe.

There is nothing that will change that reality between now and August.

We know there will be no vaccine approved for human use by August. Again, the optics will be unpaid, predominantly poor African American student athletes being expected to play football to generate billions in revenue while there is a pandemic circling the globe.

There is nothing that will change that reality between now and August.

If they are already doing other activities that are just as dangerous (i.e. sitting in a classroom or a bus), it is hard to make the argument that playing football is unreasonably risky.

It's about the optics.

You think there's any chance that in a few months they can test the 100 or so people participating in football at each school? Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to test the coaches and players fairly regularly given the fact that they're developing quick tests pretty rapidly right now.

Advertisement
Back