Schefter: CFB is going to happen this season

Advertisement
As long as we are to handle the numbers of people getting sick in Sept, Oct, Nov & Dec... go for it.

Advertisement
According to the John Hopkins map, the numbers leveling off. America had about 20,000 new cases since yesterday. That's a decent jump from the 45,000 cases it gained in a day a few weeks back. Keep working from home and following the social distancing mandates and these numbers will continue to fall. They get low enough and football is back on the menu.

Advertisement
John Morgan will always be good in my book for his work on the marijuana movement.

Agree there is a lot of potential liability money @OrangeBowlMagic but there is a lot more money lost if the season doesn't play. I say we have college football, but it doesn't begin until right at the end of 2020/start of 2021. Then again, I personally believe you'll have some states opening back up as soon as May 1.

Well, looky here...

tenor.gif

We've got 5 months to figure this out and start the season on time. Think about how much has happened in the last two weeks, and put that in the context of how different the world can be in five months. Don't be a prisoner of the moment and of panic. Think.

Yeah, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, and it's not an oncoming train. It never was.

💯

Flattening the curve was never about keeping people from ever getting sick. It was about avoiding that initial spike and overwhelming the healthcare system.

We'll have a CFB season, but it won't be exactly the same as it used to be.

Flattening the curve was never about keeping people from ever getting sick. It was about avoiding that initial spike and overwhelming the healthcare system.

We'll have a CFB season, but it won't be exactly the same as it used to be.

I don't agree. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced baseball in '21 will be the return of sports. Way too much liability to start packing people into 100K seat stadiums.

Advertisement
The talk of a potential 2020 CFB season is re one without fans in attendance.

And like I've also said, as soon as they start talking about running games with no fans, it's over. You still need refs, you still need coaches, you still need players etc. Think of the liability the first time a coach or ref with diabetes catches the Covid and dies and it's linked to asymptomatic players who tested positive. It's a gigantic mess that we haven't remotely started to figure out yet.

And like I've also said, as soon as they start talking about running games with no fans, it's over. You still need refs, you still need coaches, you still need players etc. Think of the liability the first time a coach or ref with diabetes catches the Covid and dies and it's linked to asymptomatic players who tested positive. It's a gigantic mess that we haven't remotely started to figure out yet.
Don't disagree with you. But that is what they are looking at.

Advertisement
Well there would obviously be waivers and choices for all involved to make but the NFL is smart enough to not rush into lawsuits. They'll think whatever solution they come up with through.

Well there would obviously be waivers and choices for all involved to make but the NFL is smart enough to not rush into lawsuits. They'll think whatever solution they come up with through.

What they'll do is balance the money they would lose by cancelling the season against the money they would lose by getting potentially hundreds of wrongful death suits (can you say class action?), and I think they will cancel.

What they'll do is balance the money they would lose by cancelling the season against the money they would lose by getting potentially hundreds of wrongful death suits (can you say class action?), and I think they will cancel.
I don't think they'll leave themselves open for that. Like I said if they did it there would players signing waivers and given choices to play or not. they'd get it clear with the union and their won't be lawsuits unless somebody is forced to perform against their will. They would take every reasonable precaution. Just like a job in the "essential job function" can't file a lawsuit against their job if they get sick, there will either be protections for the league or they won't do it.

yes the season is still in danger of being canceled.

Advertisement
Back