Sam Bruce may come this weekend?

Advertisement
Based on that article sounds like he's starting the process of decommitting. Cancelled his in house last night, hasn't set up an official with Miami yet, and Roger Harriot (his coach) says since Beard left now who knows what is going to happen. For anyone that has followed recruiting in the past, this is the exact type of stuff someone like Scarlett pulled last yr. Claimed to be solid in every interview until the last couple weeks and then all of a sudden flipped.

CaneSport ‏@CaneSport 1m1 minute ago

Sam Bruce had to reschedule in home with Richt last night - https://miami.n.rivals.com/news/richt-in-home-visit-with-sam-bruce-rescheduled

Looks like his decommitment is starting to take shape. When kids start canceling and coaches start saying **** like this....not usually good.

A hot topic in recruiting circles for months, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas High School WR Sam Bruce is down to the last few weeks before signing day.

A long-time Cane commitment, UM continues to try and seal him in this class.

But it appears there's still a lot to do in that regard.

Mark Richt was scheduled to take an in-home visit with Bruce and his family last night. That never happened. Bruce called it off because of a couple of factors - he was filming a segment for Playstation's Road to Greatness series that lasted throughout the day, and he also was leaving this morning for an official visit to South Carolina.

Richt is now scheduled to visit Bruce at some point next week instead.

The talented receiver has already visited Ohio State and also plans to visit Florida. He has yet to set up his official visit date to Miami.

It all begs the question: Will Bruce stick with UM?

CaneSport caught up with his coach, Roger Harriott, who shared that "with the separation of Kevin Beard (who had a great relationship with Bruce and was not retained on UM's staff), that obviously changed his recruiting process. It's definitely one of those things where based on the changes he's beginning to explore his options."

Asked if he personally feels Bruce will wind up a Cane in the end, Harriott said, "I don't know, have to play it by ear."

New UM receivers coach Ron Dugans did spend time with Bruce at the school yesterday, and Harriott said, "They had a nice conversation and he had an opportunity to watch Sam work out."

* Lost in all the media attention for Bruce is his teammate and fellow Cane commitment Michael Irvin.

Irvin is a solid UM commitment who will visit Miami later this month.

"Mike has a physical presence, exceptional hand-eye coordination," Harriott said. "He's a superior athlete, very similar to his father. However he obviously is substantially bigger, an H-back / tight end type player.

"He has the ability to change the game in multiple ways from the slot to tight end and in the backfield."

https://miami.n.rivals.com/news/richt-in-home-visit-with-sam-bruce-rescheduled

Not worried at all, richt is still visiting him next week and Miami will get the last visir.. Come on now. I will say that I don't trust roger Harriot though

Last edited:
Advertisement
What happened to "I commited to a school,not a coach"? Canceling a scheduled visit with a head coach speaks volumes about how serious he is about us.He is gone IMO.

Not worried at all, richt is still visiting him next week and Miami will get the last visir.. Come on now. I will say that I don't trust roger Harriet though

Brock, have you not followed recruiting in the past? Because this is the exact same thing that happens each yr with the attention grabbing recruits. You can have your opinion that he won't flip, but to say you are not worried at all is just silly.

Not worried at all, richt is still visiting him next week and Miami will get the last visir.. Come on now. I will say that I don't trust roger Harriot though

You must be knew at this. He cancels this one. Then, suddenly, he can't meet with Richt next week. Before you know it, he's not even visiting anymore and we are eliminated. He just "can't get over that they didn't keep KB." He commits elsewhere. This is a repeat episode. Seen it too many times.

Advertisement
At this point I believe Miami should go after him hard but plans need to be made if he does go somewhere else (Ohio State) Eli Stove and Latrell Williams become even more important at this point. Can't trust him

Not worried at all, richt is still visiting him next week and Miami will get the last visir.. Come on now. I will say that I don't trust roger Harriet though

Brock, have you not followed recruiting in the past? Because this is the exact same thing that happens each yr with the attention grabbing recruits. You can have your opinion that he won't flip, but to say you are not worried at all is just silly.

Don't be naive. Just because he cancels a in home visit doesn't mean sh*t.. And plus he already visited with dugans during the day and that appears to have been great so yeah...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not a recruiting expert, but I don't believe we should be too concerned with losing Bruce so long as we have other top wide receivers coming in. I don't like the kid's character.

You must be knew at this. He cancels this one. Then, suddenly, he can't meet with Richt next week. Before you know it, he's not even visiting anymore and we are eliminated. He just "can't get over that they didn't keep KB." He commits elsewhere. This is a repeat episode. Seen it too many times.

This is it.

Don't trust anything he says.

He's gone, and has been gone since Beard was rumored to be out.

The only reason it's dragged on this long is because it took until the last minute to decide on the WR coach. I'm sure this would've happened much sooner had Beard been gone sooner.

Richt sees it as well, which is why all of a suddenly you have 6-7 new WR's being mentioned and pursued.

This would be the biggest troll of all time

That Scarlett one was brutal last year.

I don't think anything tops that.

- Committed here when nobody else thought he'd come.
- Stayed through the whole process (no visits or even a hint of it)
- After the dead period is over, he visits.
- HE SOLIDIFIES his commitment.
- Two weeks later, kid drops out of the class and goes to the Gata's.

That's a some long-term, grand plan type troll

Advertisement

Don't be naive. Just because he cancels a in home visit doesn't mean sh*t..

Really???What do you think Saban would do if Bruce cancelled his scheduled visit to play video games?That is exactly what Richt should do.

I want Bruce in this class but I'm not going to be upset if his whole reason for leaving is we didn't keep his coach around. Sounds like he was looking for a reason to leave and found one. We are in far better shape now than when he originally committed. I find it crazy that he would've possibly stayed if the old staff was here because of Beard, but now that we have a far superior staff and OC in place he's looking around.

Don't be naive. Just because he cancels a in home visit doesn't mean sh*t..

Really???What do you think Saban would do if Bruce cancelled his scheduled visit to play video games?That is exactly what Richt should do.

To play video games? Um no... This is a feature that PlayStation is doing on him

Give me Richards, Williams, Mullins, Stove and offer the super fast Jones kid from NMB and I'm real happy with this.

Don't give another SFL kid a chance to troll us on ESPN. A message should be sent loud and clear that this **** won't be tolerated anymore.

Advertisement
Back