Sad win

Advertisement
Insert James Williams and Chase Smith at LB. Agree with @DMoney on LT...it's time.

On D'Erik King: He's tough...he's loyal...he's a hard worker....but I don't think he's fully healthy. Something is off, I'm thinking with the mental recovery that comes with being injured.

I don't know if King can get it done as a passer. But I don't know if TVD or Garcia is ready right now either. What I do know is this: After watching the AppState game idk what to think without overreacting. I said before the season by Game 4s end, we'd know how the season would go...Mich St is up next...
The little I’ve seen of TVD is worrisome as he has looked completely lost. I know he’s only thrown a couple passes but he just doesn’t look confident.

The little I’ve seen of TVD is worrisome as he has looked completely lost. I know he’s only thrown a couple passes but he just doesn’t look confident.
Not going to bad mouth a 2nd year qb...but the nod imo goes to Garcia. I've never seen it at any point with TVD. Definitely saw it with Garcia during the Spring game.

Will wait for next week. Teams are known to lay an egg or two after a Bama beat down.
An egg or two? Well, why not wait three weeks then? Gotta let Manny get all those bad Bama eggs out of his system before you can really evaluate the team.

In fact, you know, some teams just go in tank for the rest of the season after a Bama beatdown. Maybe we should just wait until next fall to gauge where we’re at.

Advertisement
I honestly have no qualms with the $25 bet. It’s low enough that it’s fun & inconsequential.

Crypto (USDC or DAI), Venmo, whatever. I’d be fine if there was a trusted 3rd to act as an escrow. But I have no problem with honor system either I know @ssvir been around.
I'm just looking for a little entertainment for the rest of us.

I was listening to an ACC preview podcast over the summer. Bet the Board with Todd Fuhrman and Payne Insider.

Payne is a pro gambler that graduated from FSU and lives in Miami. He is pretty connected in the industry, and seems to get good info.

One thing he said about Miami was that the rumors were that Manny was having a hard time controlling the players. I didn't post it here bc I don't like to throw fuel on the fire. But in retrospect (Knighton, Avante, Hodges, etc.), it certainly looks like it could be true.

Do you have anything you can share on this @DMoney ? Is Manny's lack of leadership due to the players not respecting him as a person? Do they not buy into his concepts/scheme as a coach? Is it just a bad culture?

I never bought into the "Manny is awful off bye weeks" stuff (just chalked it up to small sample size & bad luck), but when you start to look at this stuff on a macro level, it is hard to continue to give any benefit of the doubt.
I would be curious to see if there is truth to this. Would go a long way towards explaining a lot of inexplicable crap we see lol

An egg or two? Well, why not wait three weeks then? Gotta let Manny get all those bad Bama eggs out of his system before you can really evaluate the team.

In fact, you know, some teams just go in tank for the rest of the season after a Bama beatdown. Maybe we should just wait until next fall to gauge where we’re at.
This honestly felt like Manny year 1, to be specific the Central Michigan game.

Advertisement
I would be curious to see if there is truth to this. Would go a long way towards explaining a lot of inexplicable crap we see lol

It’s absolutely true. The body language Manny showed year 1 and 2 has consequences.

This is what good teams with weak leaders look like. Manny is struggling.

I liked his body language more than I ever have, even in the crushing defeat to Bama . He seems to be getting an edge to himself. There may have been a turning point in his player’s coach persona. Switching up can cause push back, especially if there is any kind of power struggle in the coaching staff.

It isn’t looking good, but App State is exactly the type of team that tears apart weak leaders. Manny survived. We will probably blow out MSU and get too high, causing a letdown later.

Manny has to be careful and steady at everything he does. Miami isn’t the place to learn on the job. Hopefully he can get edgier without losing the team. I wouldn’t bet for or against him, but the odds are not in his favor. Just have to see how it plays out.

It’s absolutely true. The body language Manny showed year 1 and 2 has consequences.

This is what good teams with weak leaders look like. Manny is struggling.

I liked his body language more than I ever have, even in the crushing defeat to Bama . He seems to be getting an edge to himself. There may have been a turning point in his player’s coach persona. Switching up can cause push back, especially if there is any kind of power struggle in the coaching staff.

It isn’t looking good, but App State is exactly the type of team that tears apart weak leaders. Manny survived. We will probably blow out MSU and get too high, causing a letdown later.

Manny has to be careful and steady at everything he does. Miami isn’t the place to learn on the job. Hopefully he can get edgier without losing the team. I wouldn’t bet for or against him, but the odds are not in his favor. Just have to see how it plays out.
Agreed on learning in the job - especially in an environment with many against you from the jump. Here’s to hoping he pulls it off.

I’ll be here either way.

Banning them to Ferman or a scarlet letter that indicates who was showing their asses would be entertaining
I dislike ban bets. For one thing, we lose posters. For another, nobody notices someone is gone for quite a while. That's why I like a tag line bet. Wear your loss for all to see.

I'm not @RVACane level creative enough to come up with a clever tag line though.

Advertisement
D, great post, as always. A few reactions:

1. I'm not there on giving the defense a pass. Worst tackling I've seen by a team in a Canes uniform, not close. Smaller, less talented opponent, yet endless schemes and strategery needed to contain the running game. LBs wouldn't start at a decent HS. Spotty and inadequate talent, overly-clever scheme, poor execution. This after six years under the same guy.

2. I'm all for getting the young talent on the field, and there's plenty of justified criticism of personnel decisions, but this game wasn't close because of who started and who didn't. We should soundly beat App St, with or without our optimal lineup.

3. The PR messaging is a bad look, very Al Golden like....Summarizing Bama as simply poor play on third down, as though its a quick fix (they could have tacked 70 on us). Acting like we won the super bowl by beating App State by 2, "knocking off good teams is what they do, but they didn't do it to us"; the slip & slide after eking out a win at home vs a 1-4 Virginia team; the turnover chain celebration when down 27-0. He promotes the defense, "D played outstanding all night", deflecting blame from himself to the offense, "we need to score more touchdowns", all with selectively manufactured stats. To me, this is the behavior of someone fearful for their job, just like the last year+ of the Golden nightmare.

4. This is the season we should expect to turn the corner. To me that doesn't mean beat everyone. It means stay competitive with the best teams and win the games you should win without a lot of drama. Right now it appears neither are in the cards.

I dislike ban bets. For one thing, we lose posters. For another, nobody notices someone is gone for quite a while. That's why I like a tag line bet. Wear your loss for all to see.

I'm not @RVACane level creative enough to come up with a clever tag line though.
I need to get past page 1 of this thread to see what’s going on. I agree on tagline bets and no ban bets.

Advertisement

Scarlet letter it is. Or whatever color @RVACane comes up with when he’s done petting his cat while eating dim sum.

Scarlet letter it is. Or whatever color @RVACane comes up with when he’s done petting his cat while eating dim sum.
BD455EE5-84BC-415A-A830-EA247CC493F5.jpeg
FBD025D2-6E05-4048-B78F-75BAE699EE2A.jpeg

I was putting the finishing touches on the Maude banner proposal for the fly the planes contingent. We want them to do it right

Problems with the defense is the linebackers are complete ***

People complained about Shaq and Pick but those guys are 100x the players of Steed/Jennings
It’s way bigger than lb’s dude. We don’t have pass rushers that can win one on ones, which makes us blitz more to have some pass rush. Our DL has zero dudes on it , which means the lb‘s are constantly fighting off blocks or fighting though trash. Then mix in the lb’s are small, which makes the problem bigger. The DL will make a splash play then go quiet for drives.

Until we get dudes in the trenches this is what we are, beasts on the line makes average lb’s and secondaries look good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back