Sad win

Man I swear something is wrong with King and I am not talking about his movement due to his recent injury (he ran like a demon last night). Last night you could see plain as day that the kid was not going through his reads and it seemed as if he was confused with what was occurring in front of him! Was it me or did the plays look vanilla as ever? King should have ate that up!

Advertisement
Man I swear something is wrong with King and I am not talking about his movement due to his recent injury (he ran like a demon last night). Last night you could see plain as day that the kid was not going through his reads and it seemed as if he was confused with what was occurring in front of him! Was it me or did the plays look vanilla as ever? King should have ate that up!
i would bet that he can't get the injury completely out of his head .... he might be thinking he is only one play away from not playing any more.
who knows ... but you're right Bro

@ssvir, @Thoughtsoncanes, how about a tag line bets? Winner picks the other's tag line for a period of your choice. That way we can see if the bet was paid.

I honestly have no qualms with the $25 bet. It’s low enough that it’s fun & inconsequential.

Crypto (USDC or DAI), Venmo, whatever. I’d be fine if there was a trusted 3rd to act as an escrow. But I have no problem with honor system either I know @ssvir been around.

i would bet that he can't get the injury completely out of his head .... he might be thinking he is only one play away from not playing any more.
Yeah, you mentioned that last night bro but go back and look at some of his runs! Dude was running like the lead back (didn't give a fug). It was his throwing that had me bewildered!

Yeah, you mentioned that last night bro but go back and look at some of his runs! Dude was running like the lead back (didn't give a fug). It was his throwing that had me bewildered!
there will be some plays where he shakes it off and goes 100%, but i still think he has got some squirrels in his head on a lot of plays ...
but like i said .... who knows ?

Advertisement
I don't feel good about the Canes this morning. The main reason is that Don Chaney and Keontra Smith got hurt. That's the worst part of the sport. Hope they have full recoveries.

The other reason is that we don't look very good. That was a 5-loss performance. The negativity on Manny is earned. My honest take on him is this: I appreciate that he has fixed several leaks. He turned around our defense after a decade of decay, he fixed our QB situation and he fixed our kickers. But he has not shown, to this point, that he is a respected leader for a big-time program. Our performance in big games reflects that. He's also shown a Shannon-like stubborness with his LBs. Plenty of season left, but some ominous signs.

- This was a game of mistakes. Appalachian State is a good G5 program, but our personnel is bigger and better across the board. Look at the drives that died because of controllable errors:

First drive ends with a Mallory drop. After a short-field TD, Chaney's hold and Rivers's false start kills another drive. Then App State's odd-front disrupts all three plays with confusion. Three and out. The next drive, we lose a Cam TD because the WR wasn't lined up correctly. Harley kills another drive with a drop on third down. App State blocks the FG. Next drive, a miscommunication between Donaldson and Oluwaseun (which happened multiple times) leads to a throwaway. Next, King takes a coverage sack holding the ball too long. We were rolling at the end of the 3rd until King forced it to Harley. This led to an OPI to prevent the pick. On the next drive, App State brings heat on the playside and King keeps the read-option for a 5-yard loss. If King hands off, Cam might've housed it.

You get the picture. This wasn't Alabama beating us with talent. This was Miami killing themselves with preventable (and coachable) mistakes. That ultimately falls on the guys in polo shirts.

- I thought the defense was OK, but linebacker is frightening going forward. That position is below-average. Injuries and bad recruiting have decimated the depth chart. We need to move Chase Smith to LB immediately and move Jalen Harrell to replace him at striker. The lack of athleticism is glaring. One play from the first quarter stands out. App State runs outside zone, Jennings shoots right through B gap but #6 bounces off him for an easy first down. A good LB like Shaq gets a TFL, and a great LB like Vilma takes his head off.

- It was a mixed bag for King. He looked healthy running and is tough as nails. He finished his runs with physicality. The negative is that he should've lit App State up with that kind of pass protection. Hard to pinpoint the exact issue without the All-22, but we need more from the passing game.

- Keyshawn Smith made a nice step toward WR1 status. He is the most complete receiver in that group.

- Elijah Arroyo needs to keep expanding his role. We used him at fullback on Chaney's TD and he had an excellent block on a Rambo catch-and-run. He's more physical than Mallory already and even twitchier as an athlete. Andres Borregales is another freshman to be excited about.

- JHH is our best defensive lineman. He carried over the momentum from the Bama game. He has a similar body to McIntosh but plays with more power. Nesta was also excellent, with 2.5 TFLs and hustle to the ball. UNC killed Nesta with the stretch play last year so this performance against an OZ-heavy offense showed growth.

- We can't keep sitting Leonard Taylor. Jordan Miller hasn't given us much and should be the guy to lose snaps.

- Justice Oluwaseun had some tough moments against #9 and #31. We are stronger on the left side than the right.

- Tyrique Stevenson is the best prospect on the team right now. Physical, explosive, instinctive, huge. He was a difference-maker last night.

- Look for more of Cody Brown going forward. He won't replace Chaney's explosiveness, but his toughness and instincts will be a welcome addition to the offense.

- Amari Carter played a solid game. The pick was enormous and he had a beautiful play in the 4th where he took away the TE and then closed on the QB for a loss.

- Pass rush remains a huge concern going forward. One problem is that, for a team that blitzes so much, we don't have many guys with closing speed as blitzers. Shaq and Pinckney combined for 26.5 career sacks. Our current guys don't create that kind of havoc. Keontra Smith is a huge loss here.

- Chantz Williams gets stuck on blocks but he makes things happen with pure athleticism and length. Second week in a row he's caused a turnover.

- The kickoff team was too casual on the TD. The App State guy was a two-time member of Bruce Feldman's All-Freaks team and an elite speedster. To steal a line from Richt on the post-game, "why do you speed up after he's already run past you?"

Michigan State is a good opponent because a lot of people will pick Miami to lose. They are physical and will challenge Miami's toughness. Let's see how the team responds.
Few points I'd like to touch on:
- People on this board kill Cam but it's hard for me to criticize him when he doesn't have much to work with. Our line is a problem. From C to RT is an issue. Gaynor plays with no power and doesn't get enough of a push. Donaldson has disappointed me big time. I expected better. They should consider benching Donaldson. He's been **** poor in handling blitzes and simple twist handoff. Donaldson also lacks the feet to be an effective blocker out in space on screens. Justice lacks power and struggled to anchor down while pass blocking. Justice also struggled with handling twist stunts.

- Mallory is a average at best. He can't block because he's not physical at all. He's inconsistent catching the ball. Arroyo needs more opportunities like you stated.

- Harley needs to be better. 3 critical drops hurt us yesterday. I expect better from Harley. If not, Brashad or Jacolby needs to see start seeing snaps.

- JHH and Nesta both play inconsistent. Nesta will have a play where he absolutely blows up the play singlehandedly but then get blown off the ball the next. Also, our DT's do a poor job of handling double teams. I first saw it against Bama and dismissed as Bama just being bigger and stronger than us but App State also had their way with us on double teams.

- I have a proposition for LB. I think Amari should fill in for Keontra and have Gil play at striker. For this week, against a team like MSU, I think BJ Jennings might actually be useful. Let's see.

I don't feel good about the Canes this morning. The main reason is that Don Chaney and Keontra Smith got hurt. That's the worst part of the sport. Hope they have full recoveries.

The other reason is that we don't look very good. That was a 5-loss performance. The negativity on Manny is earned. My honest take on him is this: I appreciate that he has fixed several leaks. He turned around our defense after a decade of decay, he fixed our QB situation and he fixed our kickers. But he has not shown, to this point, that he is a respected leader for a big-time program. Our performance in big games reflects that. He's also shown a Shannon-like stubborness with his LBs. Plenty of season left, but some ominous signs.

- This was a game of mistakes. Appalachian State is a good G5 program, but our personnel is bigger and better across the board. Look at the drives that died because of controllable errors:

First drive ends with a Mallory drop. After a short-field TD, Chaney's hold and Rivers's false start kills another drive. Then App State's odd-front disrupts all three plays with confusion. Three and out. The next drive, we lose a Cam TD because the WR wasn't lined up correctly. Harley kills another drive with a drop on third down. App State blocks the FG. Next drive, a miscommunication between Donaldson and Oluwaseun (which happened multiple times) leads to a throwaway. Next, King takes a coverage sack holding the ball too long. We were rolling at the end of the 3rd until King forced it to Harley. This led to an OPI to prevent the pick. On the next drive, App State brings heat on the playside and King keeps the read-option for a 5-yard loss. If King hands off, Cam might've housed it.

You get the picture. This wasn't Alabama beating us with talent. This was Miami killing themselves with preventable (and coachable) mistakes. That ultimately falls on the guys in polo shirts.

- I thought the defense was OK, but linebacker is frightening going forward. That position is below-average. Injuries and bad recruiting have decimated the depth chart. We need to move Chase Smith to LB immediately and move Jalen Harrell to replace him at striker. The lack of athleticism is glaring. One play from the first quarter stands out. App State runs outside zone, Jennings shoots right through B gap but #6 bounces off him for an easy first down. A good LB like Shaq gets a TFL, and a great LB like Vilma takes his head off.

- It was a mixed bag for King. He looked healthy running and is tough as nails. He finished his runs with physicality. The negative is that he should've lit App State up with that kind of pass protection. Hard to pinpoint the exact issue without the All-22, but we need more from the passing game.

- Keyshawn Smith made a nice step toward WR1 status. He is the most complete receiver in that group.

- Elijah Arroyo needs to keep expanding his role. We used him at fullback on Chaney's TD and he had an excellent block on a Rambo catch-and-run. He's more physical than Mallory already and even twitchier as an athlete. Andres Borregales is another freshman to be excited about.

- JHH is our best defensive lineman. He carried over the momentum from the Bama game. He has a similar body to McIntosh but plays with more power. Nesta was also excellent, with 2.5 TFLs and hustle to the ball. UNC killed Nesta with the stretch play last year so this performance against an OZ-heavy offense showed growth.

- We can't keep sitting Leonard Taylor. Jordan Miller hasn't given us much and should be the guy to lose snaps.

- Justice Oluwaseun had some tough moments against #9 and #31. We are stronger on the left side than the right.

- Tyrique Stevenson is the best prospect on the team right now. Physical, explosive, instinctive, huge. He was a difference-maker last night.

- Look for more of Cody Brown going forward. He won't replace Chaney's explosiveness, but his toughness and instincts will be a welcome addition to the offense.

- Amari Carter played a solid game. The pick was enormous and he had a beautiful play in the 4th where he took away the TE and then closed on the QB for a loss.

- Pass rush remains a huge concern going forward. One problem is that, for a team that blitzes so much, we don't have many guys with closing speed as blitzers. Shaq and Pinckney combined for 26.5 career sacks. Our current guys don't create that kind of havoc. Keontra Smith is a huge loss here.

- Chantz Williams gets stuck on blocks but he makes things happen with pure athleticism and length. Second week in a row he's caused a turnover.

- The kickoff team was too casual on the TD. The App State guy was a two-time member of Bruce Feldman's All-Freaks team and an elite speedster. To steal a line from Richt on the post-game, "why do you speed up after he's already run past you?"

Michigan State is a good opponent because a lot of people will pick Miami to lose. They are physical and will challenge Miami's toughness. Let's see how the team responds.
MSU plays in a physical pounding league grind your opponents to dirt everyone in there division is physical.

We shy away from smash mouth bloody football, it’s proven “ WE ALL SEE IT “ .

So how do you think we’d react when SMACKED and MSU O-Line like what Oregon Ducks did to OSU starts road grading.

Sorry it doesn’t look good , don’t get down on me for saying what real.

I’m still hurling Kool aide TIRED OF THE TASTE 👅

Canes play by emotions and are NEVER FOCUSED, we try but when smacked BOOM we’re LOST.

Sad our best players are punters and kickers

Advertisement
Don is official , acl. Back for spring.
Key And Peele Reaction GIF

Advertisement
I respect King for coming here and coming back rehabbing hard in the off-season. But, he gets about half a quarter leash in my opinion before he's gotta be pulled and replaced.

Wtf that’s horrible. Kid can’t catch a break. Such a good kid too. Man I feel bad for him
People call him injury prone , I'm sure it'll get worse but he's had two minor procedures and was back for the games both times. This is his first time missing real action but I'm sure pricks here will talk ****. He's a great kid , he represents everything good about CFB

Advertisement
Insert James Williams and Chase Smith at LB. Agree with @DMoney on LT...it's time.

On D'Erik King: He's tough...he's loyal...he's a hard worker....but I don't think he's fully healthy. Something is off, I'm thinking with the mental recovery that comes with being injured.

I don't know if King can get it done as a passer. But I don't know if TVD or Garcia is ready right now either. What I do know is this: After watching the AppState game idk what to think without overreacting. I said before the season by Game 4s end, we'd know how the season would go...Mich St is up next...

Advertisement
Back