Ryan Collins and Frank Costa were bad

Costa was MUCH better than Rosier, Williams, Perry, Harris, and Felicia. Not to mention the vast majority of the ten years before these guys. Costa had a crap storm for WR's. The kid hung in the pocket and got killed while they dropped balls. I rewatched every big game since the virus. I have a new respect for Frankie. He would've won a Natty had he had 2019 UM WRs and TEs.
Really good point. Our line during Costa's reign was not UM caliber.

Advertisement
I was at the Nebraska game. Cory ran right through our Dline including Sapp because we had no depth. The starters played the whole game. we don't play anyone that many snaps on D anymore. It's a good lesson learned.
I was there also. That 4th Q was really depressing. That's was the start of turbulent times.

Talent level regressed under Erickson's watch, but you can easily make the argument that this was due to the Pell Grant investigation. But the overall regression is similar in some respects to Coker.

Erickson:
Year 1: 11-1
Year 2: 10-2
Year 3: 12-0
Year 4: 11-1
Year 5: 9-3
Year 6: 10-2

Even though the Year 6 record was not much different than Year 1, the talent level itself was definitely weaker than his 1989 squad.

Coker:
Year 1: 12-0
Year 2: 12-1
Year 3: 11-2
Year 4: 9-3
Year 5: 9-3
Year 6: 7-6

Definitely a similar regression in talent, but in this case it was more reflected in the record itself. Miami had a more consistently tougher schedule under Coker than it did under Erickson.

To be contrarian, Coker also had some specific recruiting failures that Erickson never came close to. Failing to recruit wide receivers to the point where a punter and cornerback had to be converted to WR in the 2006 spring practice....I still cannot believe that this happened. If you're only going to land TEs and running backs (which Coker had not trouble doing), you should be running Paul Johnson's offense.
Erickson never came close to Cokers recruiting failures??....Yes he most definitely did.....

Costa was MUCH better than Rosier, Williams, Perry, Harris, and Felicia. Not to mention the vast majority of the ten years before these guys. Costa had a crap storm for WR's. The kid hung in the pocket and got killed while they dropped balls. I rewatched every big game since the virus. I have a new respect for Frankie. He would've won a Natty had he had 2019 UM WRs and TEs.
Costa had Excellent WRs...Stop it....Dropped balls??...Cant drop them if they're over/underthrown by 10yds....Wouldve Won a NC had he had 2019 WRs??....Lol....his 94 WRs were ALOT better than 2019s....

I think we did. I was a 20something drunk that was steamed after the game. Me and my buddy were in the WEZ and we heckled our coaches as they came off the field. I remember yelling at Pinky "you suck, dennis!" and then I think it was Karmelowicz that heard and started come up the steps.
No. Karmelowicz was gone by then. That was Dennis' last season. I can't remember who coached DL that year. I think Orgeron succeeded Bob at DL but he might have been fired already from that bar fight in Louisiana.

Advertisement
Costa had Excellent WRs...Stop it....Dropped balls??...Cant drop them if they're over/underthrown by 10yds....Wouldve Won a NC had he had 2019 WRs??....Lol....his 94 WRs were ALOT better than 2019s....
He did? I'm trying to remember who...A.C. Tellison? Little Jonathan Harris? Who else?

No Fing way. The TEs sucked. The WRs couldn’t make 50/50 plays to save their lives. They dropped multiple critical first downs in the NC game. I JUST watched the tape. Do it yourself and come again. Green was the only good WR and he wasn’t getting burn then. Jones was “the guy” and was overrated as all ****. The good WRs at UM graduated right before Costa took over.

Advertisement
No Fing way. The TEs sucked. The WRs couldn’t make 50/50 plays to save their lives. They dropped multiple critical first downs in the NC game. I JUST watched the tape. Do it yourself and come again. Green was the only good WR and he wasn’t getting burn then. Jones was “the guy” and was overrated as all ****. The good WRs at UM graduated right before Costa took over.
I was there....Costa missed TWO sure TDs....Stop it....

Nope. He was getting hit as he threw them.
Stop it....the one to Harris should have been 7.....Costa was a Slothfoot to begin with...No Excuses....UMs OL has Historically been its Achilles heel....So the F what he was under duress during the throws...So was Torretta when he was Eviscerated against FSU, but STILL hit Thomas with the TD....Same for Jacory against FSU too Benjamin....Bottomline is...our WRs were open all game long....

Advertisement
Stop it....the one to Harris should have been 7.....Costa was a Slothfoot to begin with...No Excuses....UMs OL has Historically been its Achilles heel....So the F what he was under duress during the throws...So was Torretta when he was Eviscerated against FSU, but STILL hit Thomas with the TD....Same for Jacory against FSU too Benjamin....Bottomline is...our WRs were open all game long....
You “stop it.” I didn’t mention Gino. My original post said Costa was a better QB than Rosier, Perry, Williams, Harris, and Brad. Costa was better than all those guys. And it’s not even close. You think Harris would’ve beaten Nebraska? I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

You “stop it.” I didn’t mention Gino. My original post said Costa was a better QB than Rosier, Perry, Williams, Harris, and Brad. Costa was better than all those guys. And it’s not even close. You think Harris would’ve beaten Nebraska? I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Rosier beats them because of mobility

Costa was garbage. He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. He was slow (not a big deal) had a slow delivery (big deal) and was inaccurate (very big deal). His numbers were pretty much a combination of WR screens to Harris and German and jump balls to Jones and Green. His best attribute was a strong arm to lob it up as deep as possible and hope one of our guys could out jump the DB.

Advertisement
Only if Berrios and Herndon were playing. Not with those WRs and TEs dropping balls.
Mobility would've been the key...My Dead Grandmother would've beat Aardvark Costa in a 20yd dash....All of this a product of Erickson's Terrible and Lazy QB and OL recruiting....
You were F-ing given Erickson and Torretta....and in 1994 the best you can do is Trot out Costa??.....Lol....

If only Bryan Fortay had Bryan For-stayed.

Advertisement
Back