Ryan Collins and Frank Costa were bad

Pink doesn't get the props he deserves. Dude was innovative with his power spread offense at the time and put some of my favorite defenses ever on the field. His teams were spicy af.
Big facts. He's so underrated by our fanbase, IMO Erickson is the 2nd best HC in school history behind Jimmy.

Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Craig Erickson & Torretta slinging in Dennis's offense with Bratkowski. The dip off in QB play came under Rich Olson with Costa & Collins.

Advertisement
Talent was there.
The QB play, OL and TE talent was not what it it needed to be. Washington shell shocked us after a 14-3 start and the game was over. We were a different team by seasons end and Nebraska wore us down in a game we should have won

Last edited:
Big facts. He's so underrated by our fanbase, IMO Erickson is the 2nd best HC in school history behind Jimmy.

Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Craig Erickson & Torretta slinging in Dennis's offense with Bratkowski. The dip off in QB play came under Rich Olson with Costa & Collins.

Schnell
Jimmy
Erickson

Erickson as an X and O coach was top notch. His offense worked at a bunch of colleges throughout his career. As a recruiter, he was merely OK. He still signed some high caliber players but the talent drop off when Jimmy’s guys graduated was big. As a disciplinarian, well we know how that ended.

Advertisement
I'm waiting for the "higher standards" crowd to jump in here and say Sapp, Lewis and co. were garbage because they blew a fourth quarter lead while getting little help from their offense.
I'll go to my corner now....

It just seemed to me that everything changed after the loss to Bama... Gino got exposed...Our O got manhandled... Lamar got run down.. I mean everything went wrong in that game and it just seemed to carry over for the rest of Erickson's tenure... I'm not gonna say he sucked but I did see a huge difference in team play once Jimmy's guys filtered out....
And then the Luther Campbell - Ryan Collins fiasco happened.... I will never find anything good to say about Luther ever.. What he did was beyond classless... ***** that guy...

The QB play, OL and TE talent was not what it it needed to be. Washington shell shocked us after a 14-3 start and the game was over. We were a different team by seasons end and Nebraska wore us down in a game we should have won
Dennis was not much of recruiter and left things bare.

Advertisement

Two NCs and it is Miami so that matters. However, his recruiting was not on Miami level. Player development and discipline sucked too. Get the man Butch and JJ talent and he was spectacular. Had he taken over Butch's team instead of Coker it would have been terrifying. Still might have loss OSU game because he knew nothing about defense and we could not stop a slow white QB from running up the middle whenever he needed to. Now after that year, I think he would have taken Berlin into a shotgun and developed new offense -- spread - a little early and cruised to another NC or two, Talent was there for 2 or 3 more years.

85, 86, 88, 92, 94, 00, 02- all were decided by one game.
1988 and 2000 were runners up to 2002 in the ultimate ***** and moan awards.

In 1988, we lost to ND by 1 pt. When the refs said we turned it over on downs or Gary fumbled before getting in end zone. Replays show he scored. That year we beat 5 top 15 teams.

2000, 1 loss FSU got to play in NC game over 1 loss Miami even though we beat FSU.

It just seemed to me that everything changed after the loss to Bama... Gino got exposed...Our O got manhandled... Lamar got run down.. I mean everything went wrong in that game and it just seemed to carry over for the rest of Erickson's tenure... I'm not gonna say he sucked but I did see a huge difference in team play once Jimmy's guys filtered out....
And then the Luther Campbell - Ryan Collins fiasco happened.... I will never find anything good to say about Luther ever.. What he did was beyond classless... ***** that guy...
Bama had **** of defense that year. We split Sugar Bowl with them. Erickson was done after that. Needed someone to refresh the talent and that was not him. The man proved he could coach when he came back to college from pros but recruiting at Miami levels was not him. That one back O was exciting but I found it got predictable and need special back to make it work. He left s in horrible scandal but Got more NCs out of JJ's talent than JJ did. I'd taken him to replace Butch instead of Coker. Another mess in 4 years but a less 2 and maybe three NC instead of one. He would have made an O for Berlin.

Advertisement
Effin depressing. Up 17-7 in the 4th at home in NC game against Nebraska and lose 24-17. Costa sucked big time.
Yes, he was no bueno. But, he was on his backside for much of the game. OL played pretty poorly if memory serves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back