Ryan Collins and Frank Costa were bad

Advertisement
Not guaranteed, Penn St finished 12-0 and at #2 but Nebraska killed them in the polls to be #1. We win by a decent margin we likely gain a split NC. The Washington game killed us that year.

That help sport?

I highly doubt they split the title between an 11-1 team and a 12-0 team from a major conference. It's not like 1988 when, if West Virginia had beaten Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, we would have been #1 over them (they would have been 12-0).

I’ve never seen that Washington loss referenced on here under bad losses but it felt like a funeral when it happened. More symbolic and what it represented than the actual loss itself.

It was a bad loss. They were a 7-4 team that lost to 3 win Stanford.

Two NCs and it is Miami so that matters. However, his recruiting was not on Miami level. Player development and discipline sucked too. Get the man Butch and JJ talent and he was spectacular. Had he taken over Butch's team instead of Coker it would have been terrifying. Still might have loss OSU game because he knew nothing about defense and we could not stop a slow white QB from running up the middle whenever he needed to. Now after that year, I think he would have taken Berlin into a shotgun and developed new offense -- spread - a little early and cruised to another NC or two, Talent was there for 2 or 3 more years.

Exactly. Erickson was a good coach, and an innovative offensive mind, but the talent was not the same in 1994 as it was in 1989 or 1991. Of course we had some great players (remember Sapp was recruited as a TE), but overall, the talent wasn't close to Jimmy's teams.

Exactly. Erickson was a good coach, and an innovative offensive mind, but the talent was not the same in 1994 as it was in 1989 or 1991. Of course we had some great players (remember Sapp was recruited as a TE), but overall, the talent wasn't close to Jimmy's teams.
That's because 89-91 were JJs kids...Love what Erickson did in some ways....But peeved about others.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was watching a bunch of games from those years, hence the post. Collins is the only QB to throw 4 TDs in a half (at Pitt in 1993) and look horrible doing it.

Late to this thread, so excuse me if Im repeating anything here, but for a guy who ran a throwing offense, Erickson's QB recruiting at UM was spotty( and that's being very generous)

But in defense of Collins, I think in today's spread offenses, he could've been pretty good. I still have nightmares over how bad he was at WVU in 1993...

As for Costa, he had the slowest delivery since Hideo Nomo....

Big facts. He's so underrated by our fanbase, IMO Erickson is the 2nd best HC in school history behind Jimmy.

Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Craig Erickson & Torretta slinging in Dennis's offense with Bratkowski. The dip off in QB play came under Rich Olson with Costa & Collins.

Erickson's issue was never the football coaching/scheming part, it was the recruiting and administrative end.

And once his front line assistants like Sonny Lubick left, it got tough for him

You give both guys equal talent, and Erickson's teams mop the floor with Cokers, IMO

Advertisement
I was watching a bunch of games from those years, hence the post. Collins is the only QB to throw 4 TDs in a half (at Pitt in 1993) and look horrible doing it.
Lol. I was young watching one of those games that Collins started with my pops. He had a lot of tds, and I was feelin him. My pops wasn't lol. He said I don't know about dude, those tds were ugly. I understood a week or 2 later.

I’ve never seen that Washington loss referenced on here under bad losses but it felt like a funeral when it happened. More symbolic and what it represented than the actual loss itself.
This was the year that I fell in love with college football. There were soooo many great games that year....and that game almost ruined the season. That fsu win(Carlos game) really turned that season around.

Often overlooked in Miami's NC debate are the Jim Kelly's 81 Hurricanes. They went 9-2, would have been 11-0 if not horrific ref calls at both ranked Texas and Miss. St. Where we lost by a combined 10 pts. Unfortunately, even undefeated we would have been shut out do to probation.

Advertisement
Effin depressing. Up 17-7 in the 4th at home in NC game against Nebraska and lose 24-17. Costa sucked big time.

I think even if we won that game, someone said we still probably wouldn’t be National Champions b/c #2 PSU went undefeated as well.

Costa was MUCH better than Rosier, Williams, Perry, Harris, and Felicia. Not to mention the vast majority of the ten years before these guys. Costa had a crap storm for WR's. The kid hung in the pocket and got killed while they dropped balls. I rewatched every big game since the virus. I have a new respect for Frankie. He would've won a Natty had he had 2019 UM WRs and TEs.

I was at the Nebraska game. Cory ran right through our Dline including Sapp because we had no depth. The starters played the whole game. we don't play anyone that many snaps on D anymore. It's a good lesson learned.

Was it a guaranteed NC if we held on, or was it just an outside shot at a NC if we beat Nebraska. I don't remember it as the certainty that you do, kid.
Yes. It was going to be a no brainer. The kid has no idea what he's talking about. It was 100 on the UM WR's. Costa took a beating and they kept dropping balls. Costa is the most underrated UM QB of all time. The kid had Everest expectations playing with a massively overrated WR and TE squad.

Advertisement
Back