Ryan Collins and Frank Costa were bad

Advertisement
Was it a guaranteed NC if we held on, or was it just an outside shot at a NC if we beat Nebraska. I don't remember it as the certainty that you do, kid.
Not guaranteed, Penn St finished 12-0 and at #2 but Nebraska killed them in the polls to be #1. We win by a decent margin we likely gain a split NC. The Washington game killed us that year.

That help sport?

Last edited:
That's what I thought too. I thought that if we slammed Nebraska it would have given us a very outside shot at a NC.

I think we did. I was a 20something drunk that was steamed after the game. Me and my buddy were in the WEZ and we heckled our coaches as they came off the field. I remember yelling at Pinky "you suck, dennis!" and then I think it was Karmelowicz that heard and started come up the steps.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Washington broke our 58 game streak early that season. Probably not a NC worthy team but that defense was pretty nasty with Sapp and Lewis being two of the GOATS and and CJ Richardson being underrated in a very talented secondary.

Last edited:
Washington broke our 58 game streak early that season. Probably not a NC worthy team but that defense was pretty nasty with Sapp and Lewis being two of the GOATS and and CJ Richardson being underrated in a very talented secondary.

I’ve never seen that Washington loss referenced on here under bad losses but it felt like a funeral when it happened. More symbolic and what it represented than the actual loss itself.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ummm....?

Dennis had his issues, but they weren't Coker issues and they sure weren't on the offensive side of the ball.
Talent level regressed under Erickson's watch, but you can easily make the argument that this was due to the Pell Grant investigation. But the overall regression is similar in some respects to Coker.

Erickson:
Year 1: 11-1
Year 2: 10-2
Year 3: 12-0
Year 4: 11-1
Year 5: 9-3
Year 6: 10-2

Even though the Year 6 record was not much different than Year 1, the talent level itself was definitely weaker than his 1989 squad.

Coker:
Year 1: 12-0
Year 2: 12-1
Year 3: 11-2
Year 4: 9-3
Year 5: 9-3
Year 6: 7-6

Definitely a similar regression in talent, but in this case it was more reflected in the record itself. Miami had a more consistently tougher schedule under Coker than it did under Erickson.

To be contrarian, Coker also had some specific recruiting failures that Erickson never came close to. Failing to recruit wide receivers to the point where a punter and cornerback had to be converted to WR in the 2006 spring practice....I still cannot believe that this happened. If you're only going to land TEs and running backs (which Coker had not trouble doing), you should be running Paul Johnson's offense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back