Rumph on Ragone/King Show

In the Long and storied History of UM FB...This is the ONLY secondary that was Ranked #1 in America....
img_1_1646839337833.jpg

Advertisement
He learned about recruiting from Butch, way before Mario....his Position coach at UM was one of the Greatest recruiters in UM History, along with Curtis Johnson. When Ed Reed made his NFL HOF Speech, he mentioned ONLY 2 Coaches during the course of its entirely (CJ and Pagano) that tells you all you need to know.
Being coached by great recruiters and actually recruiting yourself are two different things bruh.

You're allowed to be a great dude and not a great recruiter. I don't think anyone ever doubted Mike Rumph the person. He's a loyal Miami Hurricane, and always will be. You know who else was a loyal Miami Hurricane? Randy Shannon. But he couldn't get the job done that he was asked to get done here. It happens. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, doesn't mean he should be cursed and shunned by the people who support this program. He just failed at a job...it happens millions of times every single day in every industry. Google "Peter Principle". There's a reason there's a whole *** term for it.

Mike is a great guy. He wasn't a great recruiter of high school cornerbacks. It's OK to say both things.
That's not Mike's fault that kids ran for $$$ Bags....

You're allowed to be a great dude and not a great recruiter. I don't think anyone ever doubted Mike Rumph the person. He's a loyal Miami Hurricane, and always will be. You know who else was a loyal Miami Hurricane? Randy Shannon. But he couldn't get the job done that he was asked to get done here. It happens. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, doesn't mean he should be cursed and shunned by the people who support this program. He just failed at a job...it happens millions of times every single day in every industry. Google "Peter Principle". There's a reason there's a whole *** term for it.

Mike is a great guy. He wasn't a great recruiter of high school cornerbacks. It's OK to say both things.
to be perfectly honest, Surtain did the right thing in going to Alabama. He was a first round pick.

Advertisement
Being coached by great recruiters and actually recruiting yourself are two different things bruh.
Again....In no way shape or form is it Mike's fault that kids (and their parents) ran for $$$$$....None whatsoever.....UM didn't remotely stand a chance, especially with an administration that kept hiring God Awful HCs....

Advertisement

cool little nugget at the start: d'eriq couldn't make the interview because he was in a meeting with the Atlanta Falcons OC

That was great, actually. And a good listen. Mike was really honest about his ups and downs at UM, how he understood how the AH kids not coming affected things. He has a great attitude and is a true Cane through and through. There is a reason that Mario, who takes the deepest dives you can when building, has him on staff.

That was great, actually. And a good listen. Mike was really honest about his ups and downs at UM, how he understood how the AH kids not coming affected things. He has a great attitude and is a true Cane through and through. There is a reason that Mario, who takes the deepest dives you can when building, has him on staff.
In all actuality, Mario as a GA, was one of Mike's Coaches from 98-2000 and then again in 2001.....he knows what he's doing...

Advertisement
Not sure how anyone can dislike Rumph. The man seems humble, hard working, and very self aware.

Amazes me the players on the team know the history, interacts with those great alumni players, and still don't try to emulate what the made those players great.
People have been mad at the entire program for 15+ years

Mike just got in the way especially missing out on some recruits

But we all know we’ve been playing from behind in that area for a long time

That's not Mike's fault that kids ran for $$$ Bags....

FSU outrecruited us in the secondary by a wide margin during Mike's entire tenure here. So did that cesspool in gainesville. So everyone had big bags but us?

We landed some pretty **** good recruits from 2016 to 2020 at a lot of positions other than in the secondary. So did the other members of the staff have access to bags, and Mike didn't?

Come on my man. Of course, walking around with a duffle bag helps. We all know this. But that's a lazy *** excuse for not getting your job done. Todd Hartley sure got his job done during the same time period, did he not? He just get lucky that his kids didn't like money?

I know Mike is your dude, and that's cool. I've never met him, but I know people who have, and they've told me that he catches more flack than he deserves. And he probably does. But take personal bias out of it. He didn't get the job done, period. He can be the best guy in the world, and maybe he is. If so, he deserves respect for that. At the end of the day, that holds more weight than how you are as a football coach. But, speaking strictly as a football coach, he didn't get the job done. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling it how it is.

Advertisement
Not sure how anyone can dislike Rumph. The man seems humble, hard working, and very self aware.

Amazes me the players on the team know the history, interacts with those great alumni players, and still don't try to emulate what the made those players great.
Let's not forget, they had coaches that held them accountable and leaders on the team that did so aw well, if not even more thsn the coaches. With the past regime, the accountability wasn't there and players that tried to hold others accountable were not supported by some of the coaches.

FSU outrecruited us in the secondary by a wide margin during Mike's entire tenure here. So did that cesspool in gainesville. So everyone had big bags but us?

We landed some pretty **** good recruits from 2016 to 2020 at a lot of positions other than in the secondary. So did the other members of the staff have access to bags, and Mike didn't?

Come on my man. Of course, walking around with a duffle bag helps. We all know this. But that's a lazy *** excuse for not getting your job done. Todd Hartley sure got his job done during the same time period, did he not? He just get lucky that his kids didn't like money?

I know Mike is your dude, and that's cool. I've never met him, but I know people who have, and they've told me that he catches more flack than he deserves. And he probably does. But take personal bias out of it. He didn't get the job done, period. He can be the best guy in the world, and maybe he is. If so, he deserves respect for that. At the end of the day, that holds more weight than how you are as a football coach. But, speaking strictly as a football coach, he didn't get the job done. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling it how it is.
There's absolutely NO Bias....but to infer that a Gift of Gab stood any chance against Gigantic $$$ Bags is ridiculous....and if you add in the HCs that we had since Mike's tenure began, and match them up against the HCs that those teams had at that time, it was a no win situation....and please tell me the $$$ Bags we've had during his time at UM??....

Advertisement
Back