Rumph on Ragone/King Show

Rumph was not a great recruiter. Sorry. Having DBs from school you coach in the exact area you at and they all end up elsewhere. That doesn't equate to saying he is a bad guy or not a Cane. Which would be clearly stupid if you do.

The entire program had been a dumpster fire where even legacy recruits were turning us down. It went well beyond Rumph, he may not be Cristobal at recruiting, don't know, but during his time here, even with Richt and the temp jolt he brought, this program was not moving in one direction or being supported in the way it needed. He may not be lighting it up like big bad T-Rob greatest recruiter of all time (/s) but it can be assumed he and many others didn't get the support they needed to succeed here. Either way, I know he's bringing value to the U and hope he stays for years to come.

Advertisement
Dawg I'm really not trying to put that much effort into it. Both teams had 13 INT if you go by only the secondary. Next you going to argue who they played? or what they did in the NFL? Or if ESPN agreed that they were good?
Dude is a weirdo...

Dawg I'm really not trying to put that much effort into it. Both teams had 13 INT if you go by only the secondary. Next you going to argue who they played? or what they did in the NFL? Or if ESPN agreed that they were good?
ONLY DB Stats.......
1999- 13 INTs 1 Pick6

2000- 18 INTs 6 Pick6

2010- 12 INTs 1 Pick6

2018- 13 INTs 1 Pick6

That's 6 more INTs and 5 more Pick6s

But I'm 100% correct....It's comical to compare 2010 and 2018s...to 1999 and 2000s secondarys......Not even in the same atmosphere....on top of it....99 was STILL hurting in ref to depth.....
Look no one is disagreeing with you, it is factual, but nobody was saying that. Your reading comprehension is bad. You are arguing about something different, its weird that you cant see that.

Advertisement
Look no one is disagreeing with you, it is factual, but nobody was saying that. Your reading comprehension is bad. You are arguing about something different, its weird that you cant see that.
No I'm not....The whole argument is....was the 2000 Secondary the "Only" time in UM History...Ranked #1 by EVERY Publication in America....and fact of the matter it was...To even bring up 2010 and 2018s Secondarys as being Ranked #1 by EVERY Publication in America is total NONSENSE......I can name plenty of former UM Secondarys that wipe their *** with 2010 and 2018.....And if ya want to get Nit-Picky, Count the amount of AAs and 1st round DBs on the 99 & 2000 teams...and do the same with 2010 & 2018 teams and get back with me....The 2000 UM Secondary is the ONLY time in our History, that we were Ranked #1 by every Major Sporting Publication in America PERIOD....That is what I originally stated, and was called out, when in fact..I'm 100% correct....

Last edited:
You're allowed to be a great dude and not a great recruiter. I don't think anyone ever doubted Mike Rumph the person. He's a loyal Miami Hurricane, and always will be. You know who else was a loyal Miami Hurricane? Randy Shannon. But he couldn't get the job done that he was asked to get done here. It happens. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, doesn't mean he should be cursed and shunned by the people who support this program. He just failed at a job...it happens millions of times every single day in every industry. Google "Peter Principle". There's a reason there's a whole *** term for it.

Mike is a great guy. He wasn't a great recruiter of high school cornerbacks. It's OK to say both things.

Randy Shannon’s face card is ruined completely fck him

Advertisement
I'll end this entire Convo with this.....Name ONE (including Jaquan who I Loved) DB on the 2010 or 2018 team...that would Start over the 99 & 2000 squads.....

Advertisement
T-Rob was able to all of a sudden start landing DB's when he was hired when Rumph couldnt for his whole tenure? Love the guy and all he's done for UM but he's not an elite recruiter. I dont doubt his HC/DC handcuffed him a lot, but T-Rob and DVD were able to start landing kids until the wheels fell off the bus

Last edited:
T-Rob was able to all of a sudden start landing DB's when he was hired when Rumph couldnt for his whole tenure? Love the guy and all he's done for UM but he's not an elite recruiter. I dont doubt his HC/DC handcuffed him a lot, but T-Rob and DVD were able to start landing kids until the wheels fell off the bus

Who did T-Rob land at UM, and don't count Portal kids.

No I'm not....The whole argument is....was the 2000 Secondary the "Only" time in UM History...Ranked #1 by EVERY Publication in America....and fact of the matter it was...To even bring up 2010 and 2018s Secondarys as being Ranked #1 by EVERY Publication in America is total NONSENSE......I can name plenty of former UM Secondarys that wipe their *** with 2010 and 2018.....And if ya want to get Nit-Picky, Count the amount of AAs and 1st round DBs on the 99 & 2000 teams...and do the same with 2010 & 2018 teams and get back with me....The 2000 UM Secondary is the ONLY time in our History, that we were Ranked #1 by every Major Sporting Publication in America PERIOD....That is what I originally stated, and was called out, when in fact..I'm 100% correct...

You're starting to sound like DBC with these arguments. No one is disagreeing with you.

Advertisement
You're starting to sound like DBC with these arguments. No one is disagreeing with you.
Yes they were.....And who tf are you??....I was told 2000 UM wasn't the only team in UMs History with the #1 Ranked Secondary when in all actuality, they were....Of ALL the Great UM Secondary's the last 35+ yrs....to pull up 2010 and 2018s squads, to counter what I originally stated is complete Insanity. I'm just stating facts....Don't interrupt a statement that I made that is Fact....and come back with Tomfoolery....I have absolutely no time for that. I wouldn't have stated what I did, if I didn't know what I was talking about...not to mention a family member who coached those 95-2000 Secondary's....

Who did T-Rob land at UM, and don't count Portal kids.

Technically nobody, and I should have said gotten commitments or we led for to be more clear.

He had Graves and we almost lost him. Im pretty sure he played a huge part in Rogers committing. He had Fegans, who flipped to Alabama after we crapped ourselves during the year. His name escapes me, but there was a highly ranked DB who backed off his commitment to Ohio St and we were leading until our wheels fell off.

I think anybody being objective can see how much more success he had in his short time on campus than Rumph had under 2 HC's and a ton of personal connections in South FL

Technically nobody, and I should have said gotten commitments or we led for to be more clear.

He had Graves and we almost lost him. Im pretty sure he played a huge part in Rogers committing. He had Fegans, who flipped to Alabama after we crapped ourselves during the year. His name escapes me, but there was a highly ranked DB who backed off his commitment to Ohio St and we were leading until our wheels fell off.

I think anybody being objective can see how much more success he had in his short time on campus than Rumph had under 2 HC's and a ton of personal connections in South FL

And, again, I'm not saying that Rumph was "better than" T-Rob. But T-Rob was only with us for a short time. We have no idea if he would have landed all of the guys above, and then struggled in Year 2 (assuming that Miami "retained" Manny because Mario turned us down). We can definitely say, "yes, in T-Rob's brief time, it looked like he was doing better than Rumph", but there is no way to guarantee that he wouldn't have ended up like Rumph by the end, if the Titanic continued to sink.

I'll end this entire Convo with this.....Name ONE (including Jaquan who I Loved) DB on the 2010 or 2018 team...that would Start over the 99 & 2000 squads.....

I'll say this, the 2000-01 teams had guys like James Lewis and Markese Fitzgerald that were quality players who could've started on most other teams, as back-ups/depth

Advertisement
Back