Rumph on Ragone/King Show

Why wasn’t Campbell coming here? We had our best calls since 08 that year, and the hype around the program was at its highest in a decade.
You weren't following recruiting back then?

Surtain and Campbell didn't show any interest in UM before or after Rumph's not even the obligatory "UM's in the top 10". Not once that I recall did they make the short drive to visit practices or the school. Jobe was clowning UM from both Fla and CT. Then two of them, out of nowhere, visit "officially", on the last weekend before signing day. Add to that the bag rumors (at least for Campbell and Jobe).

I guess they saw the hype as just "hype".

Advertisement
Isn't that what you're doing here, "scapegoating"?

Campbell was never coming here. Don't allow a late "courtesy visit" fool you.
Isn't that what you're doing here, "scapegoating"?

Campbell was never coming here. Don't allow a late "courtesy visit" fool you.
Once again listening to the interview. Rumph said it out of his own mouth he was replaced becasue he couldn’t recruit

When Campbell visited I had been said why we wasting our time at that point.

Rumph had known Campbell longer than anyone recruiting him. Mans dropped the ball and he’s knows it. Hopefully he’s adding to his belt now so when a opportunity comes around again he handles his business

You weren't following recruiting back then?

Surtain and Campbell didn't show any interest in UM before or after Rumph's not even the obligatory "UM's in the top 10". Not once that I recall did they make the short drive to visit practices or the school. Jobe was clowning UM from both Fla and CT. Then two of them, out of nowhere, visit "officially", on the last weekend before signing day. Add to that the bag rumors (at least for Campbell and Jobe).

I guess they saw the hype as just "hype".
I followed recruiting way before that and what I saw was that Rumph was an awful recruiter which is now being revised. Campbell looked at Rumph as basically family and he could not land him. CB recruiting was an utter mess while Rumph was in charge. In the meantime, a bartender turned safeties coach was doing just fine recruiting his position

Rumph is in the role he should of started at from the beginning and i said it when he accepted the job.

You see them doing it with guys like Sabbath Joseph, Bennedict Hyppolite, DVD, etc. And those guys had/have more pull locally than Rumph ever had.
Richt misjudged Rumph being HC at AH knowing they had a ton of prospects and thinking he would be able to recruit easily also being a um alumni...and the kids they gave to Richt at UGA.

His second time around he would be better for it. Mans couldnt close a Chic Fil A on a Sunday

Once again listening to the interview. Rumph said it out of his own mouth he was replaced becasue he couldn’t recruit

When Campbell visited I had been said why we wasting our time at that point.

Rumph had known Campbell longer than anyone recruiting him. Mans dropped the ball and he’s knows it. Hopefully he’s adding to his belt now so when a opportunity comes around again he handles his business
I didn't listen to the interview. I don't need to to recognize he had challenges in recruiting. And I'm certain Rumph's aware that's why he is no longer a position coach.

I'm also aware of his history with Campbell. But saying he "dropped the ball" is implying he would have signed Campbell if he played his cards differently, if he zigged instead of zagged. I'm not buying it. Campbell wasn't coming here.

Advertisement
I followed recruiting way before that and what I saw was that Rumph was an awful recruiter which is now being revised. Campbell looked at Rumph as basically family and he could not land him. CB recruiting was an utter mess while Rumph was in charge. In the meantime, a bartender turned safeties coach was doing just fine recruiting his position
It's been a mess a lot longer than that. Since the championship, the most highly rated CBs were Tracy Howard and Artie Burns . Howard was listed as the No. 1 cornerback prospect in his class yet went undrafted. Not a good track record.

For someone who's basically a father figure yet still didn't show any interest in the program indicates there was more going on than Rumph can't recruit.

It's been a mess a lot longer than that. Since the championship, the most highly rated CBs were Tracy Howard and Artie Burns . Howard was listed as the No. 1 cornerback prospect in his class yet went undrafted. Not a good track record.

For someone who's basically a father figure yet still didn't show any interest in the program indicates there was more going on than Rumph can't recruit.
Keep making excuses for the guy. He just was a terrible recruiter. He is an all time great Cane but he just sucked at recruiting. This was a subject that was covered extensively for years and saying otherwise is so **** puzzling.

Keep making excuses for the guy. He just was a terrible recruiter. He is an all time great Cane but he just sucked at recruiting. This was a subject that was covered extensively for years and saying otherwise is so **** puzzling.
No excuses were made.

What's puzzling is how some obsess over a single individual after close to 20 years of sucking recruiting and developing talent at the position. Some of you need to get over it and start looking forward.

No excuses were made.

What's puzzling is how some obsess over a single individual after close to 20 years of sucking recruiting and developing talent at the position. Some of you need to get over it and start looking forward.
I very much look forward to the future which appears to be bright. I just corrected a clear misrepresentation of what happened in the past

Advertisement
I didn't listen to the interview. I don't need to to recognize he had challenges in recruiting. And I'm certain Rumph's aware that's why he is no longer a position coach.

I'm also aware of his history with Campbell. But saying he "dropped the ball" is implying he would have signed Campbell if he played his cards differently, if he zigged instead of zagged. I'm not buying it. Campbell wasn't coming here.
So there’s no reason to even continue this convo with you 😂😂😂

There’s no reason. I’m glad you agree, Campbell was never coming. ;)

Then he should have found better Plan 1as and Plan Bs. Because he recruited virtually no one. Rumph may end up being a great position coach as he did develop several kids while here. But he was a horrible recruiter, plain atrocious He either needs to go coach in the pros or have a staff around him that brings him the talent if he's staying as a college coach.

Then he should have found better Plan 1as and Plan Bs. Because he recruited virtually no one. Rumph may end up being a great position coach as he did develop several kids while here. But he was a horrible recruiter, plain atrocious He either needs to go coach in the pros or have a staff around him that brings him the talent if he's staying as a college coach.
That there is the kicker. He put all his eggs in the Campbell basket. He did that every cycle and got left with hand me downs. Can’t have real discussion with a bunch of these ppl tho

Advertisement
Rumph is in the role he should of started at from the beginning and i said it when he accepted the job.

You see them doing it with guys like Sabbath Joseph, Bennedict Hyppolite, DVD, etc. And those guys had/have more pull locally than Rumph ever had.
Richt misjudged Rumph being HC at AH knowing they had a ton of prospects and thinking he would be able to recruit easily also being a um alumni...and the kids they gave to Richt at UGA.

His second time around he would be better for it. Mans couldnt close a Chic Fil A on a Sunday

Last time I checked Rumps started at corner on the greatest college football team and played in the NFL

I would love to see your resume vs Rumph.

The "No Fly Zone"
img_1_1647182411787.jpg

Advertisement
Back