Rumph on Ragone/King Show

FSU outrecruited us in the secondary by a wide margin during Mike's entire tenure here. So did that cesspool in gainesville. So everyone had big bags but us?

We landed some pretty **** good recruits from 2016 to 2020 at a lot of positions other than in the secondary. So did the other members of the staff have access to bags, and Mike didn't?

Come on my man. Of course, walking around with a duffle bag helps. We all know this. But that's a lazy *** excuse for not getting your job done. Todd Hartley sure got his job done during the same time period, did he not? He just get lucky that his kids didn't like money?

I know Mike is your dude, and that's cool. I've never met him, but I know people who have, and they've told me that he catches more flack than he deserves. And he probably does. But take personal bias out of it. He didn't get the job done, period. He can be the best guy in the world, and maybe he is. If so, he deserves respect for that. At the end of the day, that holds more weight than how you are as a football coach. But, speaking strictly as a football coach, he didn't get the job done. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling it how it is.
I think People underrated the talent we did get in the secondary if you look at rankings in that time frame. Did we miss on some of the elite guys? Of course but we landed a plethora of 4star rated recruits actually all were at least 4 star recruits outside of a few

Advertisement
FSU outrecruited us in the secondary by a wide margin during Mike's entire tenure here. So did that cesspool in gainesville. So everyone had big bags but us?

We landed some pretty **** good recruits from 2016 to 2020 at a lot of positions other than in the secondary. So did the other members of the staff have access to bags, and Mike didn't?

Come on my man. Of course, walking around with a duffle bag helps. We all know this. But that's a lazy *** excuse for not getting your job done. Todd Hartley sure got his job done during the same time period, did he not? He just get lucky that his kids didn't like money?

I know Mike is your dude, and that's cool. I've never met him, but I know people who have, and they've told me that he catches more flack than he deserves. And he probably does. But take personal bias out of it. He didn't get the job done, period. He can be the best guy in the world, and maybe he is. If so, he deserves respect for that. At the end of the day, that holds more weight than how you are as a football coach. But, speaking strictly as a football coach, he didn't get the job done. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling it how it is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just happen to believe that the "get your job done" thought process can oversimplify things and miss out on a complete understanding of what was really happening.

For one thing, certain on-field positions are more prone to "bag games" than other positions. If you think tight ends and special-teamers command "bags" at the same level as cornerbacks and safeties...well, they don't. So maybe Hartley didn't face the same challenges that Rumph did, at least on this issue.

Second, there has long been conversation about the interaction between Manny and Bartender and Rumph. So, yeah, maybe there is some nuance there too which didn't work out in Mike's favor.

Finally, the long-held myths about "toxic personality" and "needing to see a sports psychologist" need to be removed from the conversation.

I wish we would have landed more DBs while Rumph had an on-field job, but there were a lot of reasons. No one is making excuses, but there were...reasons...

Last edited:
In the Long and storied History of UM FB...This is the ONLY secondary that was Ranked #1 in America....
View attachment 179302

Hate to break it to you, but Manny had the #1 pass defense in 2018 (By opponent QBR and Passing YPG allowed). If you go by yards per attempt, we were #2 with 5.6. 1st was Miss St with 5.5 Passing YPA allowed.

Randy Shannon also had the #3 ranked pass defense in 2010, #1 if you don't include the 2 G5 schools ahead of him.

Hate to break it to you, but Manny had the #1 pass defense in 2018 (By opponent QBR and Passing YPG allowed). If you go by yards per attempt, we were #2 with 5.6. 1st was Miss St with 5.5 Passing YPA allowed.

Randy Shannon also had the #3 ranked pass defense in 2010, #1 if you don't include the 2 G5 schools ahead of him.
Show me where the 2018 team had the #1 Ranked Secondary??....and please tell me you're not comparing 2010's secondary (where you conveniently left off 2 G5 schools) to 2000's secondary??......Anyone who thinks the 2010 and 2018 secondary was even in the same ballpark as 2000s needs their ever loving mind examined. The 1999 secondary didn't give up ONE TD the last 5 1/2 games of the reg season....Show me ONE UM secondary in its History that can say that...........You can't.....Lol at "Hate to break it to you"....Nobody on this board knows more about UM DB play during those days than I do.....I can promise you that...

Rumph was not a great recruiter. Sorry. Having DBs from school you coach in the exact area you at and they all end up elsewhere. That doesn't equate to saying he is a bad guy or not a Cane. Which would be clearly stupid if you do.

Advertisement
Show me where the 2018 team had the #1 Ranked Secondary??....and please tell me you're not comparing 2010's secondary (where you conveniently left off 2 G5 schools) to 2000's secondary??......Anyone who thinks the 2010 and 2018 secondary was even in the same ballpark as 2000s needs their ever loving mind examined. The 1999 secondary didn't give up ONE TD the last 5 1/2 games of the reg season....Show me ONE UM secondary in its History that can say that...........You can't.....
Dawg, ain't no Miami secondary matching up talent wise to 99 or 2000. But you said that was the only UM secondary ranked #1 in America. If we talking about stats and production, then 2018 definitely was ranked #1 in America FOR THEIR YEAR with 135.6 passing YPG given up (next best team was 145). They also lowest QBR allowed with 101.39 (barely beat out Miss St). I'm not comparing 18' or 10' to the other Miami defenses. But we definitely had more than just 1 year being ranked as the best secondary in America.

Dawg, ain't no Miami secondary matching up talent wise to 99 or 2000. But you said that was the only UM secondary ranked #1 in America. If we talking about stats and production, then 2018 definitely was ranked #1 in America FOR THEIR YEAR with 135.6 passing YPG given up (next best team was 145). They also lowest QBR allowed with 101.39 (barely beat out Miss St). I'm not comparing 18' or 10' to the other Miami defenses. But we definitely had more than just 1 year being ranked as the best secondary in America.
No we didn't.....Again I ask....show me where UM had a better secondary than 2000....EVERY Sports publication had us #1 in 2000....(Sporting News...Sports Illustrated...etc...) please show me where in UM History that was done before.

No we didn't.....Again I ask....show me where UM had a better secondary than 2000....EVERY Sports publication had us #1 in 2000....(Sporting News...Sports Illustrated...etc...) please show me where in UM History that was done before.

I haven't once said any UM secondary was better than the 2000 team. I don't know why you keep asking me to prove something about that. I also specified that UM's 2018 defense was #1 if you use stats. Not quite sure where I could find any opinionated media that ranked ANY of the 2018 secondary's...so I just went by production.

I haven't once said any UM secondary was better than the 2000 team. I don't know why you keep asking me to prove something about that. I also specified that UM's 2018 defense was #1 if you use stats. Not quite sure where I could find any opinionated media that ranked ANY of the 2018 secondary's...so I just went by production.
Tell @Brooklyndee that 2010 and 2018 were even in the same stratosphere with 99 and 2000s secondary's....(and to be quite honest) several 80s secondarys and he'll laugh you off this board.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You also have to take into account, who the head coach was the last few year and the type of defense he ran. Not many wanted to play in that system.

Bruh, again, I'm not comparing 18 and 10 to any of the UM secondary's. Only comparing them to how they ranked within their own year :snoopfacepalm:
Again.....The ONLY UM Secondary that was named #1 in America by EVERY Sports publication known to Man was the 2000 secondary....That's the ONLY time that's been done.....PERIOD....We ALL know 1985-1987 UMs Secondary's we're EVERY bit better than OUs #1 Ranked secondaries those yrs....but fact of the matter is...they weren't ranked #1.....

The 2000 Secondary had 23 INT's with 6 Pick 6s.....The 99 team had 13 INTs....thats 36 INTs in TWO yrs.....Now take 2010 AND 2018s (23 INTs total and ONE Pick6)...and put them up against that.....

Last edited:
Advertisement
For the last time, never said those squads were better or on par with 99/2000. But since you asked, 10 and 18 both had 16 INT's each.

That's just a gift u can't teach the gift of gab. It's like trying to teach a dude to have game....u either got it or u don't. Mike can coach though but u need those ingredients to cook if not what's the point. It is what it is we won't have to worry about that anymore. I have no I'll will against him that was MRs fault.
Can’t remember the young mans who committed yesterday, but Mike seem to have had his mom and dad laughing, cheesing and having a good time during their visit. Mike seems to connect and get a long well with the parents of the recruits. Really good guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him through Ryan McNeil.

For the last time, never said those squads were better or on par with 99/2000. But since you asked, 10 and 18 both had 16 INT's each.
That TOTAL interceptions....Linebackers and DLmen included....NOT just the secondary....please stop the stupidity....Go back and count the INTs and Pick6s from DB's ONLY in 99 and 2000....then go back and count the INTs and Pick6s from 99 and 2000....and Holler back at a Cracker....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can’t remember the young mans who committed yesterday, but Mike seem to have had his mom and dad laughing, cheesing and having a good time during their visit. Mike seems to connect and get a long well with the parents of the recruits. Really good guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him through Ryan McNeil.
He probably is a good dude but we wont mention the misses, he has closers now so he should be fine

That TOTAL interceptions....Linebackers and DLmen included....NOT just the secondary....please stop the stupidity

Dawg I'm really not trying to put that much effort into it. Both teams had 13 INT if you go by only the secondary. Next you going to argue who they played? or what they did in the NFL? Or if ESPN agreed that they were good?

Advertisement
Back