RUMOR: Sources tell me that Lashlee is staying, will receive major pay increase & co-HC title; changes to defensive staff as well

I don’t disagree that King was the Star & the Savior of the season, but people are acting like Lashlee is just slightly better than Enox, when he’s a whole Solar System’s better IMO, I think the pairing of King with Lashlee is the real reason, because we’ve seen what King looks like with Holgorsen in 2019 & it was nothing like how he looked with Briles in 2018 & Lash in 2020.

All coordinators look much better with a great QB, see Clemson with Kelly Bryant vs Clemson with Lawrence, but it can’t be denied that at the stops where Lashlee was the OC he had success with multiple style QB’s, from Nick Marshall, to Shirreffs to Buechele & now King.

I’m just saying we have a staff with dudes like Baker & Patke etc, Lashlee is at the very bottom of the totem pole of the shît-list as far as I’m concerned.
Lashlee + Justice + whoever at QB > King + Enos + even worse OL*

That doesn't mean Lashlee didn't contribute nor King. These two were clearly an excellent pairing of organizational leadership and assets in place to execute.

And it is correct to suspect, w/o Lashlee + Justice + King, our Canes would have been lucky to win 4 in 2020, a pure carryover from 2019 might have produced a winless season.

*assuming status quo from 2019

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ummm; if I’m not mistaken, the pressure was put on Blake to fire Golden, correct? And if I’m not mistaken, wasn’t he fired b/c we had just signed that Adidas contract in which we used that new $ to fire him?

At least that’s what reported/rumored here
The damage of the Clemson beatdown made Golden's continued HC position untenable from a business and optics perspective. Had one part of that equation still remained positive, he would have survived the Tiger massacre (did you see the look on Searcy's face?)

Shudder at this thought....

Big Al gets a Manuela-esque DC to start year 5....he is very likely the HC of our Canes for Y6.

Mind-blowing that people talk about Lashlee and the offense, pointing out his flaws and where his offense broke down against better defenses (crazy concept BTW), and ignore what a ****show of a year this was for installing a new offensive system. This isn't like when Bama replaces Daboll with Sarkisian or Jeff Scott leaves Clemson and Tony Elliot takes over, and they keep the train moving. Lashlee took over a roster that was recruited for the Richt/Enos systems. Talking about two systems, where one coach (Richt) thought using motion was silly and that throwing over the middle of the field was too dangerous to even try. And then the other Einstein with his tight splits and commitment to playing in a phone booth with a Freshman starting at LT who was THIS close to heading to App State. Real trendsetters. And those are the systems that Harley/Wiggins/Pope etc had drilled in their heads for 3 years. And then lashlee has 3 spring practices and one abbreviated fall camp to make everyone forget all that outdated crap, learn the new system, and get everything firing on all cylinders. Is Lashlee's perfect? **** no. But guess what we get to do this offseason? Build on everything and get better, with what should be an upgraded and more mature/developed talent base on offense. and lashlee will know his roster 10x better going into next season than he did coming into this year.

Don't let the dopey mopes distract from the fact that we have something real to build on on offense for the first time in 20 years.

For where are Canes were exiting 2019 and and still are exiting 2020, count lucky stars de facto HC Lashlee (and Justice) roam the orange and green sidelines.

Those are the two most valuable leaders in the whole organization from AD to equipment manager.

Now, support them with dopplegangers on D, and our Canes might have a legitimate path to make 2021's ACCCG.

TVD? Perhaps down the road.

King is the difference in our wins and loses this past season. Without him we lose vs Louisville, Pitt, UVA, NCST, VT and the Clemson/UNC game. Not a single QB on this roster at this point and time brings what he does. The guy led our team in rushing half the games this year and it wasn't like he was on Lamar Jackson level, but none of the other QB would've been that.
Other than the fact that you can same thing for every team that has no quality depth at the QB position, I disagree on Pitt and UVA with Louisville being a toss-up.

UVA had 7 points thru 3 1/2 quarters. Perry beat them last year. Probably similar results this year.
Regarding Pitt, More than half of their points (including their only touchdown) were gifted by King int's.

Advertisement
Even if true; why??? Don’t get me wrong; Lashlee was better than Enos, but even a dead gold fish is better than Enos. Our O was OK, but against good to great defenses, it was just OK.

Not sure what justifies or qualifies a major pay raise; why? B/c of some non substantiated rumors of him “leaving?”
Our last 2 head coaches both got premature pay raises and extensions. We suffer the doldrums of bad offenses year after year and then a new look offense comes in and we have our best offensive season in 6 or 7 years. It then completely follows for UM that they would do this.

The Athletic Department will never waste an opportunity to shell out money for this kind of thing. They look invested in the program's success. Success, even if luck or a one year fluke, can be cashed in for good PR. If the ADs at this school had any real vision or investment in UM's long term football success, the school wouldn't have the reputation for handing out extensions like they do. If they hold their horses and something doesn't pan out after some promising beginnings, then they've lost the opportunity to cash in from it.

I think Randy Shannon was the only guy in the last 20 years who they made play out almost his entire contract, which was **** poor and one of the cheapest in the country. They saw him as the janitor they got on the cheap, made his *** work for three years and post a 9-5 record before they budged. Then Shannon still had to sue to get some money back, which Miami paid out. Now, I do think Shannon was bad HC, but he's the only one UM ever treated like one.

Last edited:
I may have missed it somewhere that I or someone else stated in this thread they want him fired. As if that was going to happen in the 1st place.

I just don't think he's the messiah that you do. I don't think he is irreplaceable as you seem to think he is. I feel if you take King away and toss in Perry this team is lucky to win 3 games this year.

I don't buy the excuse mess when other teams across the country had to deal with some of the same stuff. I guess with Lashlee leaving SMU, Dykes had to hijack his playbook to squeeze out 7 wins. I could agree that it was all Lashlee had SMU just fell on it's face, but they didn't. Yeah they lost to some teams they beat the year before but don't they get a pass? It's not like there Bama or Clemson.

This is perhaps the 1st time since the steam rolling job UNC laid on us that anyone has really said much about the guy. Some people just feel he needs to wait to get a raise because we been down this road.

I too am not overly impressed with Lashlee. I had a running theory when DNo was DC that pretty much any halfwit DC in the country could have a top 25 defense running a 4-3. Miami just has better athletes than the vast, vast majority of teams in CFB. That doesn't mean the D is anywhere near elite, it's just a function of superior athletes with a scheme that they are best suited for, plus being in a basketball conference so the D will be facing relatively weak offenses.

Likewise virtually any OC running an uptempo spread offense should be able to put up relatively decent numbers. I think you could swap Lashlee with any number of OCs and put up similar numbers. I don't recall many moments where I was wowed by Lashlees play calling or creativity.

Now all that being said, unless we know the full terms of the contract and what the buyout is, I don't think there is any reason yet to criticize the new contract. If Lashlee had the opportunity to leave and take a G5 HC position this offseason (I think it would have been possible) but an extra 300k convinced him it was worth the risk that come back for another year to try to raise his profile for a P5 job, which in turn helped convince King to stay and raise his chances of having a Heisman worthy season next year (not out of the question), it was money well spent.

Last edited:
For those who don't understand...Lashlee is and will be a hot name as a coach for the foreseeable future.

I've have stated a few times on here that I believe he will be a better HC than OC. Some guys are just born for it...he is.

If Lashlee gets a raise I hope they put something in there that says he CANNOT run the ball into the *** of the guard or center on 1st down.

We played with a short series alot this year when it seemed like every first down we ran a play right up the center or guards *** for no gain time and time and time again....leaving us 2nd and 10 or 11.

put that in there and I’m good with giving him a small raise.
If I was coaching against the Canes this year I'd have drilled it into my D that the play after the Canes get a first down, EVERYONE runs to the A gap. It was clockwork.

That said, Lashlee has been a pleasant surprise this year. He's recruited well, his coaching staff have developed players and we've seen positive results on the field. If bumping his pay up by $300k a year and giving him a meaningless additional title is what it takes to get some continuity on the offensive side of the ball, so be it.

Advertisement
If I was coaching against the Canes this year I'd have drilled it into my D that the play after the Canes get a first down, EVERYONE runs to the A gap. It was clockwork.

That said, Lashlee has been a pleasant surprise this year. He's recruited well, his coaching staff have developed players and we've seen positive results on the field. If bumping his pay up by $300k a year and giving him a meaningless additional title is what it takes to get some continuity on the offensive side of the ball, so be it.
What we need are coaches who set standards for the future.

Theres a reason why college programs have their trophies, banners etc. enshrined somewhere. Its a standard.

Offensive coaching staff is looking like a staff that wants to set standards.

So...your defense will give up a play action pass every first down after the first 3 times you do it?

Miami isn't broke. I've posted this before. Butch was given an extension offer that would have made him Top 5 for college head coach pay, at the time. The sticking point was the buyout. Coker was in the Top 10 of head coach salaries when he was fired. Both Butch and Coker were paid a lot less at the beginning of their time at Miami than then end, because they were both first-time HCs. However, Miami offered to pay them both very well after their success.

Shannon and Golden never got to the "second contract" level of pay that Butch and Coker were offered.

No big deal.

I love my alma mater. It is just hard to see oversimplifying porsters continue to build the false myth of "Miami is broke". Miami is nowhere close to being broke.

Lashlee may not be the best OC we have ever had, but we had a nice turnaround this year, and that attracts suitors. We pay the man for a year, we let him become a HC in a year, and then the next OC candidate sees a welcoming environment for up-and-coming OCs at Miami.

All good.
The sticking point was more than just the buyout, which was not only absurd....but complete BS...

Watch the 2019 offense. Now watch the 2018 offense.

Now tell me Lashlee isn’t a miracle worker.

Look at the players we trot out on offense every week. Besides tight end, there isn’t a draftable player, period. He got 35 points a game from that.

Advertisement
Assistant coaches don’t have buyouts. Extending an assistant isn’t the same as extending a head coach. You can still can him whenever you want without taking a financial hit. The extension is just gesture of gratitude.

You tell me pal - you’ve positively upvoted 19 of my previous posts. You are in the list of top 10 positive reactors for my posts all time. So you should be able to tell me what the **** a Darius is.

clown
Wow you went to look at upvote history???

Now THAT is some clown ****. 😂😂😂

Be careful, hate to have my feelings hurt on the internet... 🙄🙄🙄

Advertisement
Assistant coaches don’t have buyouts. Extending an assistant isn’t the same as extending a head coach. You can still can him whenever you want without taking a financial hit. The extension is just gesture of gratitude.
They absolutely have buyouts if it’s in their contract. LSU just had to give that sorry *** Pelini $7M to leave after one year. Buyouts are a creature of contract, and whether or not you have one depends strictly on what your contract says.

The better your bargaining position, the better chance you have a nice buyout. I’d be astonished if Lashlee’s agent let him sign a contract with no buyout.

Lashlee did his job year 1, he took one of the worst offenses in the country and made it respectable (98th in PPG to 28th). That's a pretty big jump.

That's with an average to below average OL, a WR group that is pretty flawed, and the best offensive player missing some games. Also, that whole Covid dominated offseason.

The hard part for him is to go from 28th in PPG to top 15. Some of you need to slow down and appreciate what's been accomplished on that side of the ball in less than a year considering what we've seen lately from a Canes offense. Lashlee is a dude and one of the top OCs out there.

Advertisement
Back