RUMOR: Sources tell me that Lashlee is staying, will receive major pay increase & co-HC title; changes to defensive staff as well

If the rumor is actually correct, probably means an “Associate Head Coach” title or something like that. At the least Lashlee isn’t going anywhere, and with King coming back this offense can hopefully take the next step.

I mean, yes, that’s possible, but language is important in this case.

Co-HC means a completely different thing than associate or assistant HC.

Advertisement
The offense showed flashes and that’s with holes still at several positions. This is more of a continuity move. Throw lashlee a lil extra bread so if and when the offense blows up next year he won’t jump at the first opportunity because he knows miami will break bread and he can stay until a good situation opens up.
If the offense blows up next year, I have a hard time seeing Lashlee stay. But there will be plenty of good candidates to replace him whenever he leaves. I’m kind of hoping we go a little more air raid with the next OC, with VanDyke and Garcia in the mix now. I remember Yost was a name that came up last year, and heard rumors thar Diaz showed interest in Graham Harrell as well - both air raid offenses - before we hired lashlee.

Sonny Dykes has just one 10 win season in his entire career, that was with Lashlee as his OC & playcaller.

This year SMU lost to ECU, Tulsa & Cincinnati, last year they beat both ECU & Tulsa.

Sonny Dykes is 63-59 for his career 1-3 in Bowl games, his best season ever just so happened with Lashlee calling plays.

I’m not sure what’s so bad about what I said, I don’t get all the heat Lashlee is taking but it’s pretty clear to me he’s good OC, Idk what else the problem would be, what exactly did he do that would warrant him being moved on from?It’s year 1 of his tenure what exactly was he supposed to do?
Dykes had a terrible team at Cal though with exception of Goff and some offensive skill players, that Goff honestly made good. He was brought in to build back what Jeff Tedford left, which was basically nothing good. Legit (no sarcasm at all) they had the worst defense in FBS history probably that first year or two he got there. He's done a pretty good job imo.

If the offense blows up next year, I have a hard time seeing Lashlee stay. But there will be plenty of good candidates to replace him whenever he leaves. I’m kind of hoping we go a little more air raid with the next OC, with VanDyke and Garcia in the mix now. I remember Yost was a name that came up last year, and heard rumors thar Diaz showed interest in Graham Harrell as well - both air raid offenses - before we hired lashlee.
Those dudes don’t run the ball enough for me

Advertisement
We will have a jump next season

SMU improved tremendously his 2nd year there
I think so as well. King comes back along with a more seasoned line, more of the playbook installed, more time with his receivers and a majority of our offense comes back with the exception of maybe Cam (can be replaced with older Don/Rooster combo); J Williams (hoping one of the young bucks can step up to take this spot) and maybe Harley (again hoping a young buck can step up)

Advertisement
Updated OP - I heard back from the same source.

He confirmed that there will be changes to defensive staff announced after the bowl game, could be up to a week to finalize contracts and stuff like that for the new coaches.. Expect “at least 2 changes”, maybe more (they are still talking to candidates). He did not say for sure that this means a DC change but sounds like things are still up in the air (i.e. they are looking at other candidates and seeing who comes available as other teams fire coaches).

That’s all I’ve heard for now. Following up to see if any news on the defensive staff.

Edit #1: hearing this could also be a “promotion” to co-HC as well.
Edit #2: hearing confirmation that there will be changes to defensive staff announced after the bowl game, could be up to a week to finalize contracts and stuff like that for the new coordinators. Expect “at least 2 changes”, maybe more (they are still talking to candidates)
Not surprised he was coming back , you can tell when he was excited that king came back and him stating that mike Harley should return , I’m glad Miami finally paying people , I just hope his career doesn’t take a big hit next year , because if our offense plays like **** against bama and A&M , he is not getting offered any head coaching any time soon.

Even if true; why??? Don’t get me wrong; Lashlee was better than Enos, but even a dead gold fish is better than Enos. Our O was OK, but against good to great defenses, it was just OK.

Not sure what justifies or qualifies a major pay raise; why? B/c of some non substantiated rumors of him “leaving?”
Richt 1960’s offense was also terrible

Advertisement
I also think people forget that Lashlee didn’t have spring ball to install his offense. Everything was done over Zoom, and the on the field work was done completely in the fall. Another year of King and a full spring practice schedule will be huge for this offense.

That’s all I’ve heard for now. Following up to see if any news on the defensive staff.

Edit #1: hearing this could also be a “promotion” to co-HC as well.
Edit #2: hearing confirmation that there will be changes to defensive staff announced after the bowl game, could be up to a week to finalize contracts and stuff like that for the new coordinators. Expect “at least 2 changes”, maybe more (they are still talking to candidates)

No-brainer to give Lashle the co-HC title; maybe it can buy another 1-2 more years for him sticking around and seeing things through. Would be nice to see Miami actually win something meaningful before he ran off to a head coaching gig. Pretty lame to bail if the ceiling was Coastal Division champs.

A lack of defensive changes will be the first nail in Manny's coffin. (Second, actually—FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech skid was his first.)

Really hope he doesn't give Baker a pass because King is sticking around another year to help the Canes outscore the competition.

Advertisement
Updated OP - I heard back from the same source.

He confirmed that there will be changes to defensive staff announced after the bowl game, could be up to a week to finalize contracts and stuff like that for the new coaches.. Expect “at least 2 changes”, maybe more (they are still talking to candidates). He did not say for sure that this means a DC change but sounds like things are still up in the air (i.e. they are looking at other candidates and seeing who comes available as other teams fire coaches).
Banda and Rumph I would imagine.

I'll be disappointed if the only changes made are Stroud (due to health) and Banda (due to getting another gig).

And they did even better this year without lashlee. Dykes is mostly responsible for the smu offense, he does it everywhere he goes.

Texas State:
2019: 47
2020: 31

Tulsa
2019: 30
2020: 24

Temple:
2019: 47
2020: 45

East Carolina:
2019: 59
2020: 38