RUMOR: Sources tell me that Lashlee is staying, will receive major pay increase & co-HC title; changes to defensive staff as well

I never said he was the Messiah, never said he was irreplaceable, but he’s only been here for 1 year, why would he need to replaced after 1 year unless he did a bad job? If he did a bad job, someone tell me where & at what specifically because we literally improved in every single statistical offensive category from last year, literally all of them.

Did teams across the country have to have a new OC & new QB installing a brand new offense? And for the ones that did, how did they fair through out the season? What specifically about the offense was so bad that Lashlee needs a referendum after year 1 with a group of players that he didn’t recruit?

Also the Perry argument doesn’t hold much water simply because he’s a bad QB, what Offensive Wizard would win more than 5 or 6 games with Perry as their QB? Lincoln Riley couldn’t turn Perry into a winning QB, I’m not sure how Perry not being a good is somehow a knock on Lashlee.

And I don’t have an issue with people not liking his extension this early, but that’s not what the discussion turned into, it went from the extension was premature to Lashlee isn’t that good of an OC & that’s all I pushed back on, because the empirical data states that he is a good OC & the success he’s had at multiple stops with different styles of QB’s are further evidence of that point. Does that mean he’s the GOAT OC, no not at all, but people acting as if he’s average or not that good haven’t really presented a statistical argument to support it, other than not liking some inside Zone runs he called lol.
Without seeing the actual terms of the extension it is kind of moot. Lashlee did what he was supposed to this year. People act like its their $ but it does not look like Lash is going to fall off some cliff so 1 of 3 scenarios...

1. he is a stud OC and we have him locked up for the foreseeable future (good outcome);

2. He is a stud OC and gets poached to be a HC elsewhere, new team now has to pay a higher buyout, maybe he stays if it is too high, but if not and he gone then UM recoups its cash (fine outcome means he overperformed at OC and we lose nothing but kept him as long as we could); or

#3. He sucks and falls off a cliff and we are now stuck with him for years or need to fire him and pay a buyout, and he doesnt catch on any where else which may hamper new purchasing power moving forward a la FSU (this is the worst possible outcome but IMO overall a low probability)

I struggle to see the huge downside people are complaining about.

Advertisement
The 'if he didn't have King, this offense is still trash and we only win 4 games' talk is some of the most illogical I have heard on this website. Without Lashlee, we almost certainly don't get King. If QBs like King (and Jake Garcia) are excited about UM's offense and want to play here, then that's another plus for Lashlee as OC (not a point against him). Trying to use the success of the QB Lashlee brought in as some sort of knock on Lashlee's offense is just absurd.

From King's own mouth about his visit to UM before he transferred: “When I got there and talked to coach Lashlee, he reminded me of coach Briles a little bit just with how they coach and think—just always trying to score in attack mode and never take their foot off the gas,” King said. “That is how I like to play. I like to play freely, so I decided to go there.”

Advertisement
lol May I present to you that reading is fundamental.

“Assistant HC” - that’s common as fûck. It’s basically a meaningless title used to give someone perceived status.

Now go find me a “co-HC”
Also, adding Asst HC can somewhat justify more money by seemingly adding more responsibility.

Agree. I have seen Asst HC, which a status title and more money, and even a few HC-in waiting (Jimbo). But never Co-HC.
Also, adding Asst HC can somewhat justify more money by seemingly adding more responsibility.
You’re both right. Usually you see that Assist. HC title when they are trying to sweeten the pot with more $$$ and a fancy title. Sometimes it is part of trying to keep someone. It rarely changes what they actually do as a coordinator or position coach.

Advertisement
I think it’s similar to the Diaz transition from Coach No D. Our defense looked way better in 2016 and improved in all categories from 2015. Now, as we can see, our defense has some major schematic flaws.

it’s one thing to improve when there’s nowhere to go but up. The challenge now is, can Lashlee improve even more and maintain that consistency for multiple seasons?
I think he will keep improving. We need a couple studs at WR in the worst way and hopefully next year the o line take a major step forward

Advertisement
Who gets a co-HC title anyway? That doesn’t happen. At least not with an existing HC, and I can’t think of a single one in college anyway.
If the rumor is actually correct, probably means an “Associate Head Coach” title or something like that. At the least Lashlee isn’t going anywhere, and with King coming back this offense can hopefully take the next step.

The 'if he didn't have King, this offense is still trash and we only win 4 games' talk is some of the most illogical I have heard on this website. Without Lashlee, we almost certainly don't get King. If QBs like King (and Jake Garcia) are excited about UM's offense and want to play here, then that's another plus for Lashlee as OC (not a point against him). Trying to use the success of the QB Lashlee brought in as some sort of knock on Lashlee's offense is just absurd.

From King's own mouth about his visit to UM before he transferred: “When I got there and talked to coach Lashlee, he reminded me of coach Briles a little bit just with how they coach and think—just always trying to score in attack mode and never take their foot off the gas,” King said. “That is how I like to play. I like to play freely, so I decided to go there.”

I always laugh at the if x coach didn't have x and y players he wouldn't win s.hit argument. EVERY single winning coach of all time had great players. You need good players to win in sports. Nick Saban would go 2-10 at Vanderbilt with the SEC schedule.

That argument is dumb as **** lol

Of course Lashlee's offense looks better with King. It also would look better with a better Oline and better WRs. Simple logic

Lashlee is probably a tad overrated around these parts but he is solid. I'd like to see some real WR's & a little more help on the o-line to see how it looks. Oh & Don Chaney being the featured horse.

I mean we've only had him 1 season. I think he's the goods. I haven't seen anyone here say he's the best offensive mind in the country but I think we got an up and coming superstar coach. Just my opinion. Time will tell.

He usually has a huge statistical jump/improvement in year 2 at all his previous stops. I expect that trend to continue next season.

Advertisement
Co - hc? Ok, that’s ridiculously stupid.......wait it actually makes perfect sense that Miami would do something dumb like that. James and manny probably thought of it over a nice eggnog

The money ain’t that big of deal. Lashlee made 350k at smu. So I’m going to guess they gave him 500k-600k to come here. He made 600k when he was at auburn too. With a raise he probably is around 800k. That’s good for a quality oc.

I mean we've only had him 1 season. I think he's the goods. I haven't seen anyone here say he's the best offensive mind in the country but I think we got an up and coming superstar coach. Just my opinion. Time will tell.

He usually has a huge statistical jump/improvement in year 2 at all his previous stops. I expect that trend to continue next season.
I think he's gonna be a great HC bc of his attitude. Tough but fun kinda dude.

Advertisement
Back