Ruiz was on WQAM talking Potential New NIL Guidelines

What might blow it up is a highly ranked player who while a great college player is not necessarily an NFL prospect. Think a quarterback in the mold of Ken Dorsey, Major Harris or Eric Crouch. So his primary money making opportunity is in the here and now - in college football. Either the NIL collective doesn't up their pay when the next hot recruit comes in....or the NIL decides not to pay them 100% of what was agreed upon verbally. The kid decides to go nuclear with texts and destroys the college program in the process. Basically a player-driven version of the Shapiro scandal.
As someone else mentioned, this is always a concern, but one of the positives I can see (besides players getting a share of the money in the first place) is that those marginal NFL players (and in some cases good ones getting a lot of NIL money), may decide to stop leaving early for the NFL at the frequency they are (or at least what we have seen at Miami).

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are doing NIL the right away for how it was intended.

It is true that the substance and structure of the deals is 100% within the intention and the execution of the rules.

We still have to guard against timing (pre-LOI) and person (booster) limitations that are either already in place, or will soon be enacted retroactively.

I don't think the deals being compliant is an issue. The issue is if Ruiz was meeting with and offering recruits and transfers prior to their enrollment.

What's funny is Mims might have gotten fsu in trouble since he met with them and supposedly signed an NIL contract. If he did that prior to enrollment it would be a violation if these new rules hold up. At least thats my understanding

1652108416846.png

Understood, but all we about know Ruiz right now is that He's a student-athlete benefactor, and a very generous one at that. Until the words "I am a booster" come out of His mouth, I don't think He is. As I previously stated, I didn't hear about Ruiz until this year, where were His major contributions until then? ****, it took us a century to build an IPF, Ruiz could've bankrolled the entire project then with as much fervor as He has.

Please stop. He's a booster. Don't "think" about whether he is or isn't. You're not the NCAA. He's a booster.

Advertisement
Some do, so yes. Look Bruh, Craig Anderson is as strict as it gets, He turned several of our former players in. Anderson wouldn't have let Ruiz do what He's doing if Ruiz was a booster. And until I see legitimate evidence that Ruiz is a booster, He's not a booster, period.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

It is true that the substance and structure of the deals is 100% within the intention and the execution of the rules.

We still have to guard against timing (pre-LOI) and person (booster) limitations that are either already in place, or will soon be enacted retroactively.

This retroactive stuff is what worries me. The ncaa has to hold a grudge how they get drug through the mud with shapiro's attorney outing them. And Ruiz already threatening legal action if he even gets his shoulder tapped isn't helping the cause either

This retroactive stuff is what worries me. The ncaa has to hold a grudge how they get drug through the mud with shapiro's attorney outing them. And Ruiz already threatening legal action if he even gets his shoulder tapped isn't helping the cause either

Right. And that's all I'm trying to say.

We have far too many posters who have oversimplified this (in their own heads) and are incorrectly concluding that the NCAA cannot touch Miami or Ruiz.

I am simply pointing out the reality of what I've observed over the past 40 years, that the NCAA can and will fvck with whoever they want, if they think you are flouting their rules. Doesn't matter if they ultimately prevail or not.

Not sure if people are familiar with the concept of not poking the bear. Dannyboycane learned the hard way...

1652119013434.png

Right. And that's all I'm trying to say.

We have far too many posters who have oversimplified this (in their own heads) and are incorrectly concluding that the NCAA cannot touch Miami or Ruiz.

I am simply pointing out the reality of what I've observed over the past 40 years, that the NCAA can and will fvck with whoever they want, if they think you are flouting their rules. Doesn't matter if they ultimately prevail or not.

Not sure if people are familiar with the concept of not poking the bear. Dannyboycane learned the hard way...

View attachment 185433

Seriously though, what rules would Ruiz be flouting?

Advertisement
That’s too general. Is there a rule that says boosters can’t be a part of the company that offers NIL deals?

It's not about whether you are a part of the company that offers NIL deals. As I have said over and over again, I am quite certain that "Dr. Pepper" is full of employees who are boosters of many, many different colleges.

It is the degree of John's involvement. It is the timing of his involvement. It is the personal publicity (Ruiz's own social media, as opposed to a corporate press release from the company itself) that are the things that are drawing attention for POTENTIAL "retroactive rules violations".

Again, there are far too many people who have oversimplified this.

---"The Supreme Court has ruled on this." WRONG. The Supreme Court case involved UNIVERSITY-PROVIDED benefits (i.e., academic achievement awards), not NIL. The NIL rule changes were created by the NCAA itself, not a Supreme Court ruling.

---"The NCAA can't do anything, because they've let other cases slip by." Uh, sure, and when has that ever stopped them? Did the NCAA try to hammer us for Nevin and then slam us for adidas WHILE AT THE SAME TIME letting a lot of other stuff slide by at SEC schools? **** right they did.

---"There is no way to distinguish between brand-new NIL rules and decades-old booster/recruiting/contact rules." Well, the NCAA seems confident that they can do it, so maybe we shouldn't just assume that it can't be done.

NIL was passed with very little framework. OK. And now, the NCAA wants to pass retroactive rules. And while that sucks, it certainly appears that it is possible they could do so, especially since it seems like there are MORE member institutions who are ****ed off about NIL abuses than there are member institutions who are HAPPY with how things are going.

Do not be shocked to see time-distance-person restrictions put into place on NIL. The NCAA can easily say "we accept NIL, we love NIL, but NO NIL UNTIL AFTER YOU SIGN WITH A COLLEGE". And I have little doubt that a tailored rule, that is based on decades worth of ACCEPTED rule-making related to boosters and recruiting and contact, would pass muster with the Supreme Court.

Again, people need to read Alston...people need to read the rationale...and then people need to compare it to a situation where the NCAA will ALLOW student-athletes to GORGE themselves on 4 or 5 years worth of NIL earnings, so long as they do not do so during the recruiting period by meeting with university boosters.

I've laid out the framework for how LifeWallet could do everything WITHOUT violating any existing or future rules. Hire a PR/Marketing VP who didn't go to UM, and let that person set up all the NIL deals. Do NOT have John Ruiz take pictures with every recruit. Use CORPORATE accounting, use CORPORATE public relations and marketing channels, use CORPORATE social media.

Instead, we have every thinks-he-knows-how-to-exploit-loopholes porster telling us how John Ruiz has created massive corporate value via his personal social media postings. And whether that is true or not, it is the blurring of lines that the NCAA will TRY to attack. Not sure if they will ultimately succeed or not, but why should anyone want to gamble here? Use the corporation to create SEPARATION from the individual and LIMITED LIABILITY. It is, quite literally, the reason that corporations were invented.

Advertisement
That’s too general. Is there a rule that says boosters can’t be a part of the company that offers NIL deals?

They can be, but they are not supposed to be in contact with a recruit during their recruitment. This would suggest pay 4 play, when NIL is supposed to be regarding marketing their brand. I do like that Ruiz has given deals to kids at other schools so not only do his contracts not say they have to go to UM, but it can't be insinuated they have to go to UM due to these athletes at other schools. But the NCAA operates to the beat of their own, good ol boy network ridden of incest, drum. I'd love to see them sit down all these 5 stars who signed with A&M and get honest answers on whether or not they spoke with any booster at school regarding A&M prior to signing their NLI.

There is a huge flaw in this rule in saying they can't meet with recruits on NIL deals during their recruitment. Is a kid seriously just supposed to sign with a school sight unseen regarding NIL and hope they can get a good deal after signing day? No, they are going to lock up the best deal for them. And it's in our favor every other school was doing this and not just UM. The only thing not in our favor was Ruiz broadcasting all the deals he was signing. I honestly don't know the parameters as far as the portal kids go and if that counts as a booster meeting with a recruit. He announced a $ figure on a bball transfer NIL deal minutes after the kid announced his commitment. He clearly met with him prior

It's not about whether you are a part of the company that offers NIL deals. As I have said over and over again, I am quite certain that "Dr. Pepper" is full of employees who are boosters of many, many different colleges.

It is the degree of John's involvement. It is the timing of his involvement. It is the personal publicity (Ruiz's own social media, as opposed to a corporate press release from the company itself) that are the things that are drawing attention for POTENTIAL "retroactive rules violations".

Again, there are far too many people who have oversimplified this.

---"The Supreme Court has ruled on this." WRONG. The Supreme Court case involved UNIVERSITY-PROVIDED benefits (i.e., academic achievement awards), not NIL. The NIL rule changes were created by the NCAA itself, not a Supreme Court ruling.

---"The NCAA can't do anything, because they've let other cases slip by." Uh, sure, and when has that ever stopped them? Did the NCAA try to hammer us for Nevin and then slam us for adidas WHILE AT THE SAME TIME letting a lot of other stuff slide by at SEC schools? **** right they did.

---"There is no way to distinguish between brand-new NIL rules and decades-old booster/recruiting/contact rules." Well, the NCAA seems confident that they can do it, so maybe we shouldn't just assume that it can't be done.

NIL was passed with very little framework. OK. And now, the NCAA wants to pass retroactive rules. And while that sucks, it certainly appears that it is possible they could do so, especially since it seems like there are MORE member institutions who are ****ed off about NIL abuses than there are member institutions who are HAPPY with how things are going.

Do not be shocked to see time-distance-person restrictions put into place on NIL. The NCAA can easily say "we accept NIL, we love NIL, but NO NIL UNTIL AFTER YOU SIGN WITH A COLLEGE". And I have little doubt that a tailored rule, that is based on decades worth of ACCEPTED rule-making related to boosters and recruiting and contact, would pass muster with the Supreme Court.

Again, people need to read Alston...people need to read the rationale...and then people need to compare it to a situation where the NCAA will ALLOW student-athletes to GORGE themselves on 4 or 5 years worth of NIL earnings, so long as they do not do so during the recruiting period by meeting with university boosters.

I've laid out the framework for how LifeWallet could do everything WITHOUT violating any existing or future rules. Hire a PR/Marketing VP who didn't go to UM, and let that person set up all the NIL deals. Do NOT have John Ruiz take pictures with every recruit. Use CORPORATE accounting, use CORPORATE public relations and marketing channels, use CORPORATE social media.

Instead, we have every thinks-he-knows-how-to-exploit-loopholes porster telling us how John Ruiz has created massive corporate value via his personal social media postings. And whether that is true or not, it is the blurring of lines that the NCAA will TRY to attack. Not sure if they will ultimately succeed or not, but why should anyone want to gamble here? Use the corporation to create SEPARATION from the individual and LIMITED LIABILITY. It is, quite literally, the reason that corporations were invented.

So you think Ruiz has broken NCAA rules, specifically which rules?

I mean that’s the gist of what you’re saying, you’re saying that’s a legitimate observation. I’d like to know specifically what rules he has broken.

That’s the bottom line, what NCAA rules has Ruiz broken?

The ncaa has to hold a grudge how they get drug through the mud with shapiro's attorney outing them.

And that's exactly why we shouldn't play nice with them like Shalala did. All playing nice did was get us a protracted investigation that was a punishment in & of itself, and rival coaches using the investigation against us on the recruiting trail saying we were going to get the death penalty. Like these people smuggled a cellphone into a Federal prison to a Ponzi schemer to get dirt on us, there's no playing nice with these people.

Advertisement
And that's exactly why we shouldn't play nice with them like Shalala did. All playing nice did was get us a protracted investigation that was a punishment in & of itself, and rival coaches using the investigation against us on the recruiting trail saying we were going to get the death penalty. Like these people smuggled a cellphone into a Federal prison to a Ponzi schemer to get dirt on us, there's no playing nice with these people.
I agree to a certain extent. The issue is public perception. If we wage a full on war with the NCAA in public, other coaching staffs are going to pounce on this and tell kids we will be on probation in the near future. It could be handled much better, and I have to imagine Mario will let them know if they get wind of anything like this

So you think Ruiz has broken NCAA rules, specifically which rules?

I mean that’s the gist of what you’re saying, you’re saying that’s a legitimate observation. I’d like to know specifically what rules he has broken.

That’s the bottom line, what NCAA rules has Ruiz broken?

I am not saying WITH CERTAINTY that Ruiz has broken any existing NCAA rules.

A. He may have broken RETROACTIVELY-APPLIED rules that have not even been made yet.
B. He (and players) may be INVESTIGATED for breaking both existing and "future" rules, which is still a big hassle, regardless of outcome.

Again, I'm not sure how explicitly I need to make this (not for you personally, just generally).

Prior to NIL rules, we have ALWAYS had rules that say boosters cannot personally contact the recruits, or offer anything of value, during the recruiting. No inducements. No promises. Etc.

It is inarguable that both HS and Portal recruits have had meetings with John Ruiz prior to the announcement of a UM commit and/or the signing of an LOI with UM. And regardless of those who want to get cute as to whether Ruiz is a booster...he's a booster.

Without having all of the evidence, I am not stating with any sort of certainty that EXISTING booster/contact/recruiting rules have been violated. But it's possible. And more importantly, if the NCAA and member institutions have that opinion, they can investigate. They can legislate. They can make life miserable, even if the ultimate outcome goes our way. In a few years. Remember how "the cloud" worked?

But I'm also pointing out that the PERCEPTION of wrongdoing can lead the NCAA to craft NEW rules, and if they apply them RETROACTIVELY, then it is possible that something that is NOT a violation of the rules today could BECOME a violation of the rules in the future.

AND I DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE TROUBLE TO POKE THE NCAA BEAR ON THIS.

I've provided what I believe are very prudent guidelines for how John Ruiz could eliminate his name and presence from the discussion of new rules to curb "booster/recruiting/contact" abuses. To be more like "Dr. Pepper" and less like "Flaccid Spear". I'm not sure why some posters constantly want to fight about it, and act like it's somehow John Ruiz's combination birthright/Constitutional right to do anything he wants in the NIL arena. Yes, there has been some uncertainty and lack of clarity on what the rules are or what they could be. But that doesn't mean you have to wait until you're in trouble to adopt some best corporate practices.

Advertisement
Back