Ruiz was on WQAM talking Potential New NIL Guidelines

The issue is play for pay. That has ALWAYS been a major violation of NCAA regulations. What the NCAA is alluding to I believe is simply APPLYING that prohibited activity (paying a player to commit to a program) to the NIL contracts. NIL agreements ARE SUPPOSED TO BE for players that are committed to a program. NIL deals are NOT supposed to be THE ENTICEMENT FOR a player to SIGN with a program. The NCAA is saying that if the NIL agreement was put into a players hands PRIOR to the player committing to a program, that it can / will be interpreted as and inducement to sign and the programs involved will be sanctioned. The burden of proof is on them regarding contact timelines.

this. this is why the Wong issue made him a bit untouchable if he got an NIL deal anywhere else.

Advertisement
The intent was not that players who haven't been announced as being part of the team and most people have never even heard of getting large NIL deals from a prominent booster of that school.

Again, I am not saying that he is breaking the rules (I don't think he is), but certainly this is not what the NCAA intended when they put out the NIL rules.

To be fair, Ruiz has said a number of times that he knows the kid commit before negotiating. Now the announcement might come before the school announcement but that doesn't necessarily mean the deal was in place before the commitment.

That’s a bingo.
Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

Advertisement
In the UM case, I don't think they used any deceptive tactics, though the request itself was not legal. I think that dumb-a$$ attorney just gave them the info when the NCAA asked for it.

I could be wrong, but I think what got them caught was her sending an invoice to the NCAA for asking all of the questions they wanted asked in court and under oath. Had they paid the original invoice it never would have gotten out

To be fair, Ruiz has said a number of times that he knows the kid commit before negotiating. Now the announcement might come before the school announcement but that doesn't necessarily mean the deal was in place before the commitment.

Yeah, both the LOI and the NIL are signed/dated contracts. "Commit" means nothing. Signed-dated means everything.

If John Ruiz is saying that the UM LOI was signed before he starts negotiating, then that is wonderful, though I'm sure the NCAA is going to want to verify that. If John Ruiz is saying that these recruits have only verbally committed to Miami before he starts negotiating...

...I'm sure there are plenty of CIS posters who could give expert testimony as to the value of a verbal commitment...

Yeah, both the LOI and the NIL are signed/dated contracts. "Commit" means nothing. Signed-dated means everything.

If John Ruiz is saying that the UM LOI was signed before he starts negotiating, then I'm sure the NCAA is going to want to verify that. If John Ruiz is saying that these recruits have orally committed to Miami before he starts negotiating, though...

...I'm sure there are plenty of CIS posters who could give expert testimony as to the value of a verbal commitment...
Or better yet, how about if they make a decision to commit and then do the unthinkable and... decommit! Or how about if it is a silent commit and NIL companies are supposed to be independent from the schools, how can they verify unless in touch with the school? The NCAA really, really screwed the pooch.

Advertisement
I could be wrong, but I think what got them caught was her sending an invoice to the NCAA for asking all of the questions they wanted asked in court and under oath. Had they paid the original invoice it never would have gotten out

Yes, that is what assisted in us being able to catch the NCAA and hold them accountable. But the fact that they did what they did...very problematic.

That's why I'm not so quick to do the "NCAA has no power, NCAA can't touch us" victory dance. The NCAA powers-that-be may not be very smart or very strategic, but the hate courses through their veins, and they would do anything possible to take revenge on Miami.

That's why I don't want to give the NCAA any ammo.

And even the great John Ruiz makes mistakes, like his recent tweet where he called what he was doing "pay for play" and then had to change it to "pay for labor". I realize it was an innocent flub, but this is one of those situations when "keeping it real" goes wrong...

Or better yet, how about if they make a decision to commit and then do the unthinkable and... decommit! Or how about if it is a silent commit and NIL companies are supposed to be independent from the schools, how can they verify unless in touch with the school? The NCAA really, really screwed the pooch.

Completely agree. They fought it...delayed it...bare-bonesed it...begged Congress on it...and now they are trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

And that's exactly why we shouldn't play nice with them like Shalala did. All playing nice did was get us a protracted investigation that was a punishment in & of itself, and rival coaches using the investigation against us on the recruiting trail saying we were going to get the death penalty. Like these people smuggled a cellphone into a Federal prison to a Ponzi schemer to get dirt on us, there's no playing nice with these people.
Shalala didn't play nice with them, that's WHY they went passive aggressive and dragged it out. Miami cooperated early on, but when it became obvious that the NCAA didn't have as much as they claimed, Miami threatened legal action and started making noise in the media.

Shalala didn't play nice with them, that's WHY they went passive aggressive and dragged it out. Miami cooperated early on, but when it became obvious that the NCAA didn't have as much as they claimed, Miami threatened legal action and started making noise in the media.
That’s not why they dragged it out. NCAA drags all their investigations. Ours was a little more complicated with this nut job criminal. This is one of the few times Shalala came through for the athletic department.

Advertisement
That’s not why they dragged it out. NCAA drags all their investigations. Ours was a little more complicated with this nut job criminal. This is one of the few times Shalala came through for the athletic department.

"Came through"?

LOL...we missed 2 bowl games and were a laughingstock on the recruiting trail, Shalala didn't come through with ****.

You call dragging it out passive aggressive or Shalala not playing nice?...LOL, alright Bro, more power to ya'.

Advertisement
"Came through"?

LOL...we missed 2 bowl games and were a laughingstock on the recruiting trail, Shalala didn't come through with ****.
My dude, if you don’t believe we weren’t going to get hit with worse sanctions than what received then you’re clueless. NCAA completely ****ed up the investigation and Shalala capitalized on it.

Didn’t FSU have a go fund me or something to get an nil deal together for a transfer?

Yes, they were begging people to start donating $10 a month to Flaccid Spear so they could have some NIL funds to dish out. This is exactly what these new rules are trying to stop

My dude, if you don’t believe we weren’t going to get hit with worse sanctions than what received then you’re clueless. NCAA completely ****ed up the investigation and Shalala capitalized on it.

No doubt, Paterno State got I think a 10 scholarship reduction for four years, they would have gave us just below that instead of 9 over 3 slap on the wrist. But they basically handed her a layup with the Perez scandal.

You call dragging it out passive aggressive or Shalala not playing nice?...LOL, alright Bro, more power to ya'.
The NCAA wanted Miami to capitulate early(They knew they didn't have much outside of a convicted felon), it became evident after Miami cleared away the self imposed with the obvious stuff(Guys that were obviously involved with Shapiro), that the NCAA was bluffing on long term sanctions. When Miami found out that the NCAA was trying to get around their own rules in order to get information(The stuff with Shapiro's attorney), that's when the school started fighting back. The only strategy available to the NCAA at that point was to stretch it out, and hurt Miami by leaving the program in limbo. The bonus of stretching it out is the long shot hope that some evidence would come out that would justify the crap the NCAA was doing.

Advertisement
Back