Ruiz was on WQAM talking Potential New NIL Guidelines

Advertisement
I love Joe rose and all but he is such a bad interviewer
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Advertisement
I mean, almost everything in Miami was built on cocaine money and we're the fraud capital of the US but otherwise we're a got**** wholesome town.
That is pretty much a 1980's reality as far as the drug related proliferation of real estate development and "banking".

Yeah, Joe should've asked Him the question that's been on every Canes fan mind, is He a booster? I don't think He is, but that would've been a great question to ask.
OF COURSE he is a booster ... one of the most prominent ones. Look up the "definition" of a booster. It varies, but basically anyone who either makes a donation in order to obtain season tickets for a sport from a university (under THAT definition everybody that buys season tickets IS a booster as there is a donation portion of your ticket price and then the price for the seat ... I have two Club seats ... I am by definition a booster). Another independent qualifier is "someone who promotes a university athletic program". John Ruiz is a very outspoken, active, and aggressive booster, supporting UM athletic programs in many ways.

OF COURSE he is a booster ... one of the most prominent ones. Look up the "definition" of a booster. It varies, but basically anyone who either makes a donation in order to obtain season tickets for a sport from a university (under THAT definition everybody that buys season tickets IS a booster as there is a donation portion of your ticket price and then the price for the seat ... I have two Club seats ... I am by definition a booster). Another independent qualifier is "someone who promotes a university athletic program". John Ruiz is a very outspoken, active, and aggressive booster, supporting UM athletic programs in many ways.

Club seats aren’t like that

Advertisement
Man we told you guys that Ruiz is literally the smartest person in the room on this issue. He has so far ahead of other programs and the NCAA. And he is working with his lawyers and UM lawyers.
And the 2nd smartest person in the room is Mario. We have very good people on top of this.

Now that that is out of the way...I hope the NCAA destroys those schools that are cheating with NIL to help recruit athletes. How dare they. Thankfully the good people at the NCAA will take care of this (insert as many laughing emojis as possible).
Ruiz will destroy the NCAA in courts if they come after him.

NCAA:
Three Stooges Vintage GIF

Ruiz:
Al Pacino GIF by Maudit

Right?! If you use the NCAA's definition, it is a bit more vague:

The NCAA defines boosters as "representatives of a school's athletic interests". That definition extends to supporters who have made contributions to a school's athletic department, arranged for employment of athletes and/or assisted in providing benefits to athletes or their families.

Once a person is designated as such a representative, they "retain that identity forever," according to the NCAA. In the past, the NCAA has used a broad interpretation of that definition to penalize schools.

It would include season ticket it holders if you took it very literally, but I would argue the intent is for big ticket donors (the follow up question of course would be what amount qualifies as 'big ticket'). There is also no guarantee that they wouldn't use the literal definition and count people like season ticket holders if they really wanted to go after a school. In either case, Ruiz would clearly be considered a booster - the guy is out there talking about his love for the university and he and his family donated $2M to improve the baseball team's weight room (I am sure the NCAA would be able to find a lot of other examples that would constitute him as a booster by their rules).

Now does any of that matter... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't see how the NCAA is going to do anything to stop this legally and/or from a PR perspective. They have already been smacked around by the courts and I think a lot of these rules (that it seems Ruiz is following) would be smacked down by the courts even if boosters weren't following them. I know there are a lot of passionate fans out there that are upset with how it is playing out and I think it really does suck in a situation like the one at Pitt where they find and develop a star only to have him leave for greener pastures, but that is how the world works. If you talk to almost anyone that doesn't follow college sports, they would (rightfully IMO) look at you like you are crazy if you explained all of the money being generated but then tried to make a case why the players shouldnt be able to get any of it.

I think the only way that they would be able to get this under control is if they made the players employees and therefore were able to limit some of what they can do, but then the schools/ncaa would have to pay them and share revenue which is probably a scarier thing to them than what is currently happening (and you would likely still have disparities in what schools could pay).

Advertisement
That is pretty much a 1980's reality as far as the drug related proliferation of real estate development and "banking".
There’s two different Miami’s. Pre cocaine it was a sleepy retirement/vacation beach town. After cocaine it’s a metropolitan city full of commerce and residences. Obviously today, the city is mostly legit but it owes it’s development to the boatloads of cocaine money that came through.

Advertisement

Understood, but all we about know Ruiz right now is that He's a student-athlete benefactor, and a very generous one at that. Until the words "I am a booster" come out of His mouth, I don't think He is. As I previously stated, I didn't hear about Ruiz until this year, where were His major contributions until then? ****, it took us a century to build an IPF, Ruiz could've bankrolled the entire project then with as much fervor as He has.

Understood, but all we about know Ruiz right now is that He's a student-athlete benefactor, and a very generous one at that. Until the words "I am a booster" come out of His mouth, I don't think He is. As I previously stated, I didn't hear about Ruiz until this year, where were His major contributions until then? ****, it took us a century to build an IPF, Ruiz could've bankrolled the entire project then with as much fervor as He has.
Technically bud, anyone providing NIL benefits to any athlete at any school qualifies as a booster for said school under the current NCAA guidelines. The definition is that loose.

Summary:
1. 503c that are opened for NIL and have 100% marketing budget are going to get burned.
2. He has legitimate business that he is trying to market. Has spent $5million and he estimates has received $200 million in branding.
3. He only Tweets after they have committed
4. He doesn’t get into bidding wars. He assigns a marketing value to player and sticks with it
5. Has tried educating families not to chase the money but seek best playing opportunity to succeed to increase their worth. Believes families are being taken advantage of.
6. wants players to be interviewed by Joe to understand his process.
7. He does everything through UM compliance dept. He’s proposed ideas that were rejected by UM compliances.
But but but…. the guys on swampass.com said…
Mane, Fucc what dem gator luvin sombytches think! Just get ready for dem gator tears!

Advertisement
Back