RIP Coach Leach

Advertisement
So sorry to hear this. She was so young. I hope your niece is OK, although I’m sure it’s something that will stay with her, I pray that she can find the strength and have a wonderful future, as well as the other children. So difficult without a mother, but it can still be done, although obviously with difficulty and hard work.
thanks. She was the most beautiful soul. Born to be a mom. She deserved better quite frankly. Way too young.

My niece had a rough go but she poured everything into her siblings.. ended up salutatorian and is killing it her first year at college. Life just isn't the same though. At least in this case, Coach has gotten to live a little bit longer. Still too young!

That's awful news for his family and loved ones. Especially this time of year. Health issues are no joke and coaching can be very high stress.

As ive gotten older, I've questioned whether, in the grand scheme of things, if all the work and chase after jobs, money, etc is worth it. At the end of it all, you can't take it with you. Any moment could be your last. I hope everyone takes time to reflect on their life, loved ones, and gets some enjoyment before it's too late.

Advertisement
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-thoughts-on-mike-leach-and

He’s now in critical condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He was airlifted there Sunday. It’s been reported that the Mississippi State football coach suffered “a massive heart attack.” That may or may not be true. His family isn’t even certain of that yet, I’m told. But I do know that Leach has been suffering from heart failure for a while.

Fluid around his heart.
Fluid around his lungs.
He’s battled pneumonia this season, too. You may have noticed, Leach has had a persistent, hacking cough.

I’m told that Leach didn’t exactly collapse at his home, as some reported. He’s not brain dead, as others have indicated on social media. The football coach was found on the sofa, unresponsive, after what some think was 10-15 minutes. EMTs showed up and did their jobs. Doctors then worked all day Sunday to sedate Leach, stabilize him, and are now beginning to assess his condition.

He’s now in critical condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He was airlifted there Sunday. It’s been reported that the Mississippi State football coach suffered “a massive heart attack.” That may or may not be true. His family isn’t even certain of that yet, I’m told. But I do know that Leach has been suffering from heart failure for a while.

Fluid around his heart.
Fluid around his lungs.
He’s battled pneumonia this season, too. You may have noticed, Leach has had a persistent, hacking cough.

I’m told that Leach didn’t exactly collapse at his home, as some reported. He’s not brain dead, as others have indicated on social media. The football coach was found on the sofa, unresponsive, after what some think was 10-15 minutes. EMTs showed up and did their jobs. Doctors then worked all day Sunday to sedate Leach, stabilize him, and are now beginning to assess his condition.
Let's all pray this is the truth, would be best case scenario.. I'm skeptical bc of so many connected people reporting the same thing.

Advertisement
Just sucks. Right around the holidays. Prayers for his family in this difficult time. This is the part of life that just seems so unfair.
This is the stuff I deal with on a daily basis. I've seen young and old cases. The reality is you need to enjoy the life you have. Be proactive if you have a family history of heart disease or diabetes. Get those labs drawn to see about your lipids. Don't ignore the heartburn. It can be much more serious than you realize.

I just spent the last hour revisiting his interviews and locker room tantrums. He’s one ot those coaches who you cannot help but like. His “that was last f-ing week“ post-game speech is a classic. Recently, he had the “fat little girlfriend“ comment when asked about player effort that was hilarious.

He is unfiltered, brilliant, and hysterical. A national treasure.

Last edited:
Leach loved the Miami program. He famously said if he had access to the athletes in South Florida, he'd never lose a game. And you know what, he'd probably not be too far off that mark. He applied for the UM job twice and even had Donald Trump write a letter of endorsement to Shalala. Would UM be in a different place today if UM had hired Leach instead of Randy Shannon? Yeah I think we would have had a few great seasons (and yes, some bad ones too).

In terms of a coach who could do more with less, no one did it better than Leach. Literally no one. I remember reading that Leach had FOUR times more victories over teams with a higher 247 composite recruiting rankings than the next guy on the list (Whittingham). But maybe the most remarkable thing about Leach was his coaching tree. The number of successful coaches that came off the Leach coaching tree is astounding. That is a testament to Leach's coaching ability.
I hope he's around a little longer because he makes cfb a lot more interesting.

Advertisement

Fluid around his heart.
Fluid around his lungs.

This sounds somewhat better and I hope it’s true.

What you fear in the situations and I’m sure there are physicians here that can chime in a lot better than I can, is brain anoxia for enough time that you basically end up having a flat EEG.

Advertisement
FjzAeFhXkAgNoFD.jpeg

Cathartic thread

Lost an incredible friend on thanksgiving this year after a severe health issue hit him out of nowhere. It still doesn’t make any sense to me.

We went through this with him as well. We had the prep talk and the inevitable be prepared to say goodbye talk, but it’s never something that actually stops it from being absolutely surreal

Thoughts and prayers to his family and all my people here that have had to go through it

Cathartic thread

Lost an incredible friend on thanksgiving this year after a severe health issue hit him out of nowhere. It still doesn’t make any sense to me.

We went through this with him as well. We had the prep talk and the inevitable be prepared to say goodbye talk, but it’s never something that actually stops it from being absolutely surreal

Thoughts and prayers to his family and all my people here that have had to go through it

Death is brutal. Every. *******. Time.

Some times are slightly easier than others, but barely, and likely a trick of my mind to help it make sense.

Be good to each other and make sure to take time for ourselves.

Advertisement
Back