Richt's offense this year

Have you not watched a game this year? We've ran plenty of zone read. Richt also ran plenty of RPO last year with Kaaya. It would seem that Richt likes to tailor the play calling to his QB's strengths and away from his weaknesses.

But what does he know. He's only coached two Heisman winning QB's.

Advertisement
There's a reason why vanilla ice cream out sells all other flavors combined.

All of these teams...ALL OF THEM, with these gimmick schemes where every **** body is running around before the snap...they look great against about 80% of their competition, but get their **** pushed in the moment they play a competent, well coached defense (Think Oregon). Why? Because it's window dressing. Good eye discipline and proper execution beats window dressing all the time. Not to mention they also rack up a ton of procedure penalties (see Toledo).

It's one thing, and a completely rational one, to want us to do a little more to get our play makers in space. It is an entirely different thing to want us to switch from a time tested and proven offense to a gimmick scheme that never manages to get past the better defenses in the country. You're not going to beat Clemson or Bama with gimmicks or trick plays. You beat them with precise execution and discipline on both sides of the ball.

That Oregon team sure beat the **** out of Florida State(something Miami hasn't done in years). Same goes for Clemson. No offense in the country is as vanilla as Richt's.

Have you not watched a game this year? We've ran plenty of zone read. Richt also ran plenty of RPO last year with Kaaya. It would seem that Richt likes to tailor the play calling to his QB's strengths and away from his weaknesses.

Zone read is nice but there isn't much if any RPO this year. Coaching to heisman QBs way back years ago means nothing in 2017. Offenses adap to the times, he hasn't.

All of these teams...ALL OF THEM, with these gimmick schemes where every **** body is running around before the snap...they look great against about 80% of their competition, but get their **** pushed in the moment they play a competent, well coached defense (Think Oregon). Why? Because it's window dressing. Good eye discipline and proper execution beats window dressing all the time. Not to mention they also rack up a ton of procedure penalties (see Toledo).

It's one thing, and a completely rational one, to want us to do a little more to get our play makers in space. It is an entirely different thing to want us to switch from a time tested and proven offense to a gimmick scheme that never manages to get past the better defenses in the country. You're not going to beat Clemson or Bama with gimmicks or trick plays. You beat them with precise execution and discipline on both sides of the ball.

That Oregon team sure beat the **** out of Florida State(something Miami hasn't done in years). Same goes for Clemson. No offense in the country is as vanilla as Richt's.

And all but one of those years was with Golden and Coley who ran enough bubble screens, I don't care if I ever see another one.

Zone read is nice but there isn't much if any RPO this year. Coaching to heisman QBs way back years ago means nothing in 2017. Offenses adap to the times, he hasn't.

Is it possible, at all, for you to comprehend the suggestion that we are running more zone read this year than last and less RPO this year than last, is perhaps because we've got a first year starter at QB? Maybe Rosier hasn't had enough game experience to recognize leverage and coverage in all defensive alignments. Maybe he's much better suited athletically to simply take a key from the play-side DE and make a quick decision?

That's my point. We ran plenty of RPO last year with a QB who was best suited for it. We're not running much RPO this year. Could the reason for this be A: Our current QB is not well suited for it; or B: Mark Richt forgot what an RPO is and when to call it?

Advertisement
Some of you guys are confusing our desire for offensive creativity with gimmick plays. The only reason Pitt beat Clemson last year was because their offense kept Clemson off balance. No one smart is looking for a bunch of trick plays.

Some of you guys are confusing our desire for offensive creativity with gimmick plays. The only reason Pitt beat Clemson last year was because their offense kept Clemson off balance. No one smart is looking for a bunch of trick plays.

IMO, the vision that Richt has for the UM offense is really predicated on having a dominant Oline. Well, they aren't anywhere close to that. And that's why you'll see this unit scuffle for long stretches in certain games. Sometimes the KISS philosophy( Keep it simple, stupid) is fine but again, that's much easier and effective if you have superior talent across the board.

MUch of offensive football nowadays(at both college and the NFL) is about deception, making a defense hesitate by making them play with their eyes a bit ,etc, a few motions and shifts. I know some didn't like him but I thought Jedd Fisch was doing some good stuff here at UM with Stephen Morris.

What Richt rolls out this Saturday will be very interesting...

[video=youtube_share;zhjKnV22FGY]https://youtu.be/zhjKnV22FGY[/video]

Coach Richt had Helfrich on campus back in February, hopefully it had something to do with this.

****, if I were Richt I would've hired Helfrich & given him the title of "Advanced Video Coordinator Analyst" just for this game alone lol.

Advertisement
If anybody thinks that this offense is sufficient then I'd have to question if they even watch college football.
We do nothing creative on offense. We're extremely vanilla. We don't find ways to get guys in space. Truthfully, when we succeed it's usually just us "out-athlete'ing" people. People give us man coverage and our athletes are better than their's.

Watch a decent college offense and tell me if we look anything alike.

If we have better athletes and the other team is playing man to man, aren't we supposed to out-athlete them?

How's that gonna work against Clemson or FSU?

Shoot, it barely worked against Duke for a large majority of the game.

You completely missed my point.

My premise was "if we have better athletes." I won't say Richt has been saving something for FSU because many of us thought that last year and were wrong. I don't know enough about football X's and O's like you do on how to get people into space (I'm more of a hoops junkie.) When I watch CFB, it seems to me mostly everyone is running the same ****, shotgun, RPOs, read-option, WR screens, Go routes. You can correct me if I am wrong.

At some point isn't football about making a play against the guy across from you?

My favorite quote from the weekend was Troy's Neal Brown on upsetting LSU: "That wasn't a fluke. We didn't run one trick play...." https://twitter.com/AlexS_ESPN/status/914900241349935104

I'm not trying to troll or argue, I'm actually interested in getting your point that I missed.

He is not saying run trick plays.. you are kinda moving goal post here.. actually troy has alot of oresnap motion in their offense which helps price his point.. they probably motioned more in that game than we have all year..

What it does it make the defense think.. they have to make sure they are sound every play alignment wise or could result in big play.. one guy out of position and it can be td. It's such an easy concept to add that gives coaches n players guys n we never do it.. it's not a trick play it's just a simple added pre snap wrinkle..

When u just line up n go u better have a dominant online and great athletes outside that can win one on one battles repeatedly.. last year when we played in Oct and got to meet of schedule where we played comparable talent.. we saw results.. let's see what happens this year

I'm not moving the goal posts, or at least don't mean to. I just used the quote because I think more than saying anything about trick plays, the Troy coach was saying that his team lined up and beat them.

Thanks for answering my question though (seriously). Everyone here is saying they want Richt to be more creative/aggressive and I just wanted some details on what that means exactly.

Watch Florida vs LSU on Saturday if you want to see more vanilla offenses.

If anybody thinks that this offense is sufficient then I'd have to question if they even watch college football.
We do nothing creative on offense. We're extremely vanilla. We don't find ways to get guys in space. Truthfully, when we succeed it's usually just us "out-athlete'ing" people. People give us man coverage and our athletes are better than their's.

Watch a decent college offense and tell me if we look anything alike.

Voila. That's why I think FSU will make this a ' competitive ' game and whatnot. hUh. In other words, Miami CAN'T ' out athlete ' mighty FSU. And Richt's relative CONSERVATIVE play-calling plays into the hands of Good Ol' Boy Jimbo's massive paws. dUh.

The bottom line: The longer the game remains TIGHT, the more FSU's true freshmen signal caller and it's banged up offensive line gains momentum and CONFIDENCE. That's why it's absolutely imperative, that Miami gets an early double-digit lead and DOESN'T SIT on that lead!!

I just hope Richt doesn't hold anything back play calling wise, and OPENS up the playbook!! hUh.

Can't emphasize this enough. Little more creativity and let's tone down the 4 verts

Advertisement

Can't emphasize this enough. Little more creativity and let's tone down the 4 verts

I never claimed the people calling for this were smart, but there are plenty of people calling for it. Which is what my post was referring to. We've left a ton of yards and points on the field this year due to nothing but a lack of proper execution. I don't think the play calling this year has anything to do with Richt's lack of creativity. I think it has to do with his "We're going to keep running it until you run it right," mentality. Go back to the Duke game. Watch Walton get blown up on that swing pass, then watch CMR run the exact same play again. I think, or at least I hope, CMR has been using these games against inferior opponents as a way to iron out some of the wrinkles in the bread and butter plays rather than showing us a nintendo style playbook with only four plays.

I never claimed the people calling for this were smart, but there are plenty of people calling for it. Which is what my post was referring to. We've left a ton of yards and points on the field this year due to nothing but a lack of proper execution. I don't think the play calling this year has anything to do with Richt's lack of creativity. I think it has to do with his "We're going to keep running it until you run it right," mentality. Go back to the Duke game. Watch Walton get blown up on that swing pass, then watch CMR run the exact same play again. I think, or at least I hope, CMR has been using these games against inferior opponents as a way to iron out some of the wrinkles in the bread and butter plays rather than showing us a nintendo style playbook with only four plays.

I don't think we're using games that we're losing at the half and getting thoroughly worked (Toledo) or games against 4-0 conference opponents on the road as practice games for tougher opponents. Just don't see it at all.

I don't think we're using games that we're losing at the half and getting thoroughly worked (Toledo) or games against 4-0 conference opponents on the road as practice games for tougher opponents. Just don't see it at all.

We missed two touchdowns in the first half against Toledo. We shouldn't have been trailing at the half, and that we were was most certainly not offensive play calling. It was poor execution on both sides of the ball. You're trying to use the 20/20 nature of hindsight to prove a point, but it doesn't work like that. We came out in the second half and utterly obliterated Toledo, and we didn't change a **** thing on offense. We executed better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Duke game was never once in question. I saw us run the same play twice in a row on several different occasions until we got it right. Call it what you want.

We missed two touchdowns in the first half against Toledo. We shouldn't have been trailing at the half, and that we were was most certainly not offensive play calling. It was poor execution on both sides of the ball. You're trying to use the 20/20 nature of hindsight to prove a point, but it doesn't work like that. We came out in the second half and utterly obliterated Toledo, and we didn't change a **** thing on offense. We executed better.

Toledo worked us the entire first half. They left touchdowns on the board too. They thoroughly outplayed us. Now way in **** any competent coach who is involved in that game thinks about holding anything back for tougher opponents. Rick was ecstatic to get out of there with a win after that embarrassing first half.

Toledo worked us the entire first half. They left touchdowns on the board too. They thoroughly outplayed us. Now way in **** any competent coach who is involved in that game thinks about holding anything back for tougher opponents. Rick was ecstatic to get out of there with a win after that embarrassing first half.

Toledo worked us in the 2nd quarter. we were up 10 -0 end of 1rst quarter

Exactly, we have seen Richt use Shallow cross concepts(his best work), RPO concepts, Zone reads, straight up power football with 12/13 personnel.

The mans career shows a variety of different concepts and methods. These guys swear we line up in I formation and run a HB dive every down.

They swear every passing/route combination is 4 vert and we NEVER touch the middle of the field.

You ask them to actually chart a game, play by play, and they'd never post again because what they say is totally unfuqqin true.

You have to be an insanely accurate passer to consistently throw over the middle in short to intermediate routes without a ton of interceptions.

Any tipped ball, batted, overthrown ball can be a interception.

Its too risky when you can clearly generate offensive firepower without it if the players just fuqin execute.

Everything these guys say we don't do can easily be disproven besides that dumb *** motion shid that doesn't provide enough benefit to be so pressed on using it.

The more acclimated Richt gets the more wrinkles he will add; but you gotta know and trust your players abilities to do these things.

Something that takes time. Till then, I think our offense is just fine.

Without missed blocks and dropped passes half of you would have nothing to say on this **** board.

Stop saying offenses have evolved like Richt has been out of coaching for 10 years. He has seen every bit of the evolution of offense as he has been right there with it the entire way. 20 years ago or not, his resume' is still more impressive than half the coaches you guys swear we should hire or replace him with.

Advertisement
Back