Richt's offense this year

Advertisement
Does richt even know what he plans on doing with the offense moving forward? He recruits a guy like sits.... is he gonna use him as a spread, RO QB?

IS this serious? Our coach has us in position we haven't been in 11-14 years ( to be a legit top 5-10 team) and you think he doesn't know what he is doing? LMAO.

He may have us in that position now, but it's the little things like this that will keep us from actually being a legit top 5-10 team or better. That screen to Cager who was not the fastest guy pre-injury and just coming back from a serious leg injury was criminal incompetence.

Last edited:
My kingdom for more slants and shallow crosses (mesh concepts). What makes it even more infuriating is that whenever we do throw stuff over the middle...we get huge gains.

In all my years of watching football I simply cannot explain why Richt chooses to completely ignore the middle of the field for large stretches in every game. It feels like every other play is 4 verticals.

It cost us the month of October last year....let's hope Richt has learned his lesson.

If Harley catches the ball, is that considered using the middle of the field or only the interceptions the last two games or are we looking for Herndon straight down the middle?

If Harley catches the ball, is that considered using the middle of the field or only the interceptions the last two games or are we looking for Herndon straight down the middle?

Skinny posts, slants, shallow crosses, angle routes to rb's out of the backfield and intermediate digs.....to be specific.

With the speed we have on the outside and the way teams are forced to play against us to defend against Richards and Harley, that stuff is open ALL GAME if Richt chooses to make it the staple of the offense. For the life of me I simply cannot comprehend his play calling for large stretches of most games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My G. I. Joe doll collection for some motion, jet sweeps and deception in this offense. Rick seemed like he spent much of the game setting up a bootleg with Rosier but never used it. Based on his fakes on that boot game, Rosier looks like a good ball handler.

Would love to see some jet sweep action that at least gives the defense something to think about. I see all these college offenses using so much motion and it opens up so much for them. With our athletes I'd love to see more movement and deception in the offense.

My G. I. Joe doll collection for some motion, jet sweeps and deception in this offense. Rick seemed like he spent much of the game setting up a bootleg with Rosier but never used it. Based on his fakes on that boot game, Rosier looks like a good ball handler.

Would love to see some jet sweep action that at least gives the defense something to think about. I see all these college offenses using so much motion and it opens up so much for them. With our athletes I'd love to see more movement and deception in the offense.

FSU's defense is still very stout if you play them straight up. Now, if you use some deception and make them play defense with their eyes a bit(with misdirection type of plays like NCState did) you can do some business on them. But if you just think you can over-power them, well, it's a recipe for disaster. It will be interesting to see how Richt approaches it this season with a mobile QB this time around

Last edited:

FSU's defense is still very stout if you play them straight up. Now, if you use some deception and make them play defense with their eyes a bit(with misdirection type of plays like NCState did) you can do some business on them. But if you just think you can over-power them, well, it's a recipe for disaster. It will be interesting to see who Richt approaches it this season with a mobile QB this time around

Spot on.

It's what cost us the FSU game last year when Richt went full Wannstadt conservative mode and ****ed away the game. Forget FSU's record, their defense is solid. We're not just gonna line up with vanilla stuff and score enough to win.

Richt needs to open it up and be aggressive. We have the weapons. I'd much rather lose being aggressive and making aggressive mistakes than suffering through another 13-10 game where we play 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

For the love of God he better not revert to those God forsaken wide receiver screens as well. I think this is a big week for Mark Richt, the play caller.

FSU's defense is still very stout if you play them straight up. Now, if you use some deception and make them play defense with their eyes a bit(with misdirection type of plays like NCState did) you can do some business on them. But if you just think you can over-power them, well, it's a recipe for disaster. It will be interesting to see who Richt approaches it this season with a mobile QB this time around

Four verts and basic football in a phone booth could be our undoing.

I'm assuming our defense should be able to do well enough for us to win this game with what should be a massive advantage in the trenches and facing a true freshmans QB who has been there two months.

This one is on Rick. For the first time since he's been here, he's going to have to give us an advantage with his schemes over a talented defense. It's on him.

Advertisement

I'm assuming our defense should be able to do well enough for us to win this game with what should be a massive advantage in the trenches and facing a true freshmans QB who has been there two months.

This one is on Rick. For the first time since he's been here, he's going to have to give us an advantage with his schemes over a talented defense. It's on him.

IMO, if we had a real dominant Oline, yeah we could probably be very successful with this style of play. But the UM 2001-Oline aint walking through that door. And at the highest levels of college football, you need to scheme against elite level talent and not just out-talent teams. Put Toledo's system/offensive philosophy at Miami and I think it would be scary.

For this game I expect to see some sluggo routes( based on how many slants they've run) and the fact that I dont think the FSU corners are that great. But again, can our Oline protect well enough to let these routes develop?

As you said, Chise, these are the games/situations that Richt's really gets paid for...

Well, FWIW, he is light years ahead of Adam Gase as a playcaller. The last two weeks of Dolphins football was some straight up Patrick Nixed cr@pola.

Anyway, this is THE game thus far of the Richt Era. Would have been nice to have had last year too, should have had last year's but whatever, it's the past.

As for the playcalling this year, I believe it reflects what Rosier does best and that we have increased our depth and speed at receiver. We've also been missing our #1 WR. It also hasn't been bad, IMO. Nor is it all simple training wheels stuff. There is a confidence in Rosier to make some tough throws.

I think we will see motion, screens and other elements work their way in over the coming weeks. We used them last year and there is no reason to think they're permanently deleted this year.

For better or worse, Richt is an incrementalist; as Malik continues to do well with what he's been given, Richt will reach deeper into the ****nal. At least, that's my suspicion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We should be utilizing the speed of Harley and Thomas with reverses and jet sweeps. With them struggling to get involved catching the ball it would be a natural way to get them going.

But we literally have zero motion in our offense so it's probably a futile request.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All of this.

I'm surprised he hasn't used Thomas on a jet sweep. He routinely did that with Isiah McKenzie at UGA.

Advertisement
My kingdom for more slants and shallow crosses (mesh concepts). What makes it even more infuriating is that whenever we do throw stuff over the middle...we get huge gains.

In all my years of watching football I simply cannot explain why Richt chooses to completely ignore the middle of the field for large stretches in every game. It feels like every other play is 4 verticals.

It cost us the month of October last year....let's hope Richt has learned his lesson.

Those throws, while they seem useless, they do a lot.

1) They are safe throws (i.e., can't really throw a pick on them);
2) Backs off a defense big time, since we got some real athletes on the outside;
3) We throw deep because of what was said above, we got athletes; and
4) Because Malik is a gunslinger, throwing over the middle causes potential for interceptions (if you've noticed, all of them have been there with him).

He's playing to his strength. Now with that being said, when he does throw over the middle it works, well because he rarely does, but when eh does its a monster gain, it's a set up man.

Duke probably set up the gameplan we'll see the rest of the year against our offense. Heavy blitz to not allow our verts the time they need to develop - daring Richt to throw over middle or set up a screen, heaven forbid.

For some reason Richt rather sink in his 4 verts ship than exploit what the freaking defense is giving you

Since CMR has taken over, we have seen little creativity, no motion, misdirection, trick plays, in his Offense. The guy is conservative by nature. Sort of reminds me of Randy Shannon's Defense where we did not get creative to confuse the Offense, we would let our athletes simply beat you. Are we delusional or naive to think that will change this weekend? Miami's Offensive scheme matches up well for their D unless we had an elite type QB that can run (Jackson or Watson), which we don't.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Since CMR has taken over, we have seen little creativity, no motion, misdirection, trick plays, in his Offense. The guy is conservative by nature. Sort of reminds me of Randy Shannon's Defense where we did not get creative to confuse the Offense, we would let our athletes simply beat you. Are we delusional or naive to think that will change this weekend? Miami's Offensive scheme matches up well for their D unless we had an elite type QB that can run (Jackson or Watson), which we don't.

If we can't line up and pound Puke in the run game, then I see no reason to believe we'll be able to do that to FSU either. We will need to run the ball to beat them, but we'll need to get a little more creative to do that.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more QB draws if FSU is in man and we run them off. A lot, of course, will depend on if we can do anything with those DTs of theirs. I'm not all that optimistic given all the interior pressure Puke generated.

Rick made sure to praise Rosier today for standing in there and not flinching and taking hits to make throws. He probably did that, at least in part, to bolster his confidence for the hits he's sure to take this Saturday.

FSU is going to put a sht ton of pressure on Miami's offensive line and make 12 get rid of the ball quickly under duress. He will need to be spot on up there for Miami to win this game. FSU will shorten the game as much as possible so Miami needs to do a great job of protecting the ball.

can someone explain the point of running 4 verticals?

is richt's theory that you hit the seams ?

Advertisement
Back