Richt's offense this year

Advertisement
I am loving what CMR is doing and that is steadily improving the offense play calling as the season and tougher games to not show all his cards. He is the guy who calls a great game. People complain about throwing away from the middle of the field, but I blame the QB for not locating the open TE targets in the middle in which Kaaya used to his advantage.. Bubble screens I agree could be effective with our speedsters and I'm sure CMR will deploy when needed.

If anybody thinks that this offense is sufficient then I'd have to question if they even watch college football.
We do nothing creative on offense. We're extremely vanilla. We don't find ways to get guys in space. Truthfully, when we succeed it's usually just us "out-athlete'ing" people. People give us man coverage and our athletes are better than their's.

Watch a decent college offense and tell me if we look anything alike.

If anybody thinks that this offense is sufficient then I'd have to question if they even watch college football.
We do nothing creative on offense. We're extremely vanilla. We don't find ways to get guys in space. Truthfully, when we succeed it's usually just us "out-athlete'ing" people. People give us man coverage and our athletes are better than their's.

If we have better athletes and the other team is playing man to man, aren't we supposed to out-athlete them?

If we have better athletes and the other team is playing man to man, aren't we supposed to out-athlete them?
Yeah that works for most of the games, until you run into the better teams where things even out.

Have you watched Clemson this year? No way we are going to "out-athlete" them if we make it to the ACCCG.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Richt has to get better in redzone gameplanning especially at The goalline. We need tds not field goals

How's that gonna work against Clemson or FSU?

Shoot, it barely worked against Duke for a large majority of the game.

You completely missed my point.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I have yet to see us take advantage of a "trick" play using the bubble screen.

PA action to Walton, turn and pump fake the bubble, and the WR that is blocking releases on a go route for a big play. If FSU comes out aggressive, this could easily be a home run for us to get on the board early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting for FSU to "open up the playbook"

I know it gets kind of cliche but it stands to reason you don't show everything you have if you don't need to. I expect to see more screens, e.g. in this game to take advantage of FSU's aggressiveness. That doesn't mean we have open up the playbook if we run some more screens. It is just something you don't want to have too much on film leading up to a game like this so at least there is an element of surprise. We might see some other stuff too...maybe more Berrios in the slot, Herndon getting more involved in the passing game, etc.

The "open up the playbook" stuff gets overblown and has become kind of an inside joke. But there is some of it that just makes sense from a coaching standpoint not to show all your cards until needed.

If he was saving screen plays for FSU then he may be the biggest gambler in the world. The screen play was begging to be called on Friday and he literally used it once despite the tight game.

Tight game? Was Duke ever within 10 points of us after the 1st quarter? ****. It's like if we don't score a TD on every play Richt can't call plays. We put up 52 last week and people were trashing the play calling. And we threw TE screen to Herndon for a TD and hit Dayall Harris over the middle for another. Ahmmon Richards scored on a slant against Duke. And that's not counting all the balls that have been dropped or poorly thrown. On that short yardage play you guys are harping on, Corey Gaynor just missed his block. He flat ran right past his assignment and Walton got stuffed. Not a **** thing wrong with that play other than the execution.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more motion and some misdirection concepts, but come on. Duke had only allowed 15 points per game before Friday, and we more than doubled that. We beat them by nearly 5 times the spread.

There's no arguing with streetja on this. His irrational hatred of Richt has already polluted the WEZ Canes football thread.

Advertisement

To a point, the idea of the RPO from a passing stand point is to essentially to advantage of space BUT that’s when you do have better athletes. When you don’t have better athletes, it’s hard to take advantage of space because they close on the ball better because they’re usually faster and causes the O to get more creative. You have to mix in different looks to disguise it such as more use of the shotgun or play action out of the shotgun so it becomes more effective against these top tier team because it makes them think. If we can’t make them think, they’ll play man-free all day long, play bend but don’t break D, and make us kick field goals because they don’t have to worry about the O attacking the middle of the field.

I am loving what CMR is doing and that is steadily improving the offense play calling as the season and tougher games to not show all his cards. He is the guy who calls a great game. People complain about throwing away from the middle of the field, but I blame the QB for not locating the open TE targets in the middle in which Kaaya used to his advantage.. Bubble screens I agree could be effective with our speedsters and I'm sure CMR will deploy when needed.

People are still shell shocked post-Golden. Objectively, we have a bridge-the-gap QB, a pedestrian OL, an injured WR1, an injured RB1, and so far, no stars in the Offense's 2-deep (aside from Richards and Walton). On the Defensive front, we got absolutely gashed by Toledo's passing game and Duke's running game. While I would love to see a high-octane spectacle of an offense, since last year's losing streak, this coaching staff has out-schemed every opponent and the players have collectively out-worked and out-muscled their opponents. Truth be told, the Canes have mostly beaten average and slightly above-average teams, but to deny the skillfulness of pacing, prioritizing, scheming, and adjusting of this coaching staff is probably rooted in unrealistic expectations.

While the jury is still out on whether this staff can stock the cupboards and play chess at the highest level, what we do know is that these Canes will not lose to teams they are supposed to beat. Considering our strength of schedule, a double digit win total, a W at FSU, a competitive game against Clemson in the ACCCG, and a major bowl appearance would be a resounding success, especially when considering the results of the last decade.

Ok so if we are out athleting people why would we want to complicate the offense? We are scoring over 30 a game and guys are making explosive plays etc. I understand what you are saying but flash doesn't always equal success. Ok. State was getting slobbed until they got beat bc of their offensive firepower.

My premise was "if we have better athletes." I won't say Richt has been saving something for FSU because many of us thought that last year and were wrong. I don't know enough about football X's and O's like you do on how to get people into space (I'm more of a hoops junkie.) When I watch CFB, it seems to me mostly everyone is running the same ****, shotgun, RPOs, read-option, WR screens, Go routes. You can correct me if I am wrong.

At some point isn't football about making a play against the guy across from you?

My favorite quote from the weekend was Troy's Neal Brown on upsetting LSU: "That wasn't a fluke. We didn't run one trick play...." https://twitter.com/AlexS_ESPN/status/914900241349935104

I'm not trying to troll or argue, I'm actually interested in getting your point that I missed.

Advertisement

Ok so if we are out athleting people why would we want to complicate the offense? We are scoring over 30 a game and guys are making explosive plays etc. I understand what you are saying but flash doesn't always equal success. Ok. State was getting slobbed until they got beat bc of their offensive firepower.

Adding simple motion doesn't complicate offense for your players.. it actually does it for your opponent.. it makes them have to think and realign.. it's such a simple thing that helps you out flank a defense if they are not discipline every snap..

add a fake jet sweep and that safety might be a step behind walton because it's his responsibility to contain sweep AND be last line of defense.. When you just line up n go it makes it easier on a defensive staff and players.. they are able to just go off instinct.. as a coach the worst thing u want is thinking players..

It is not a negative thing to point out how simple our offense is.. to say we are able to score alot on bcc n terrible Toledo defense doesn't give most warm fizzles.. of course we can line up n outathlete freaking Toledo.. against better teams your offense might stall.. use any advantage you have.. we haven't show that yet.. hopefully we add something.. anything

There's a reason why vanilla ice cream out sells all other flavors combined.

All of these teams...ALL OF THEM, with these gimmick schemes where every **** body is running around before the snap...they look great against about 80% of their competition, but get their **** pushed in the moment they play a competent, well coached defense (Think Oregon). Why? Because it's window dressing. Good eye discipline and proper execution beats window dressing all the time. Not to mention they also rack up a ton of procedure penalties (see Toledo).

It's one thing, and a completely rational one, to want us to do a little more to get our play makers in space. It is an entirely different thing to want us to switch from a time tested and proven offense to a gimmick scheme that never manages to get past the better defenses in the country. You're not going to beat Clemson or Bama with gimmicks or trick plays. You beat them with precise execution and discipline on both sides of the ball.

My premise was "if we have better athletes." I won't say Richt has been saving something for FSU because many of us thought that last year and were wrong. I don't know enough about football X's and O's like you do on how to get people into space (I'm more of a hoops junkie.) When I watch CFB, it seems to me mostly everyone is running the same ****, shotgun, RPOs, read-option, WR screens, Go routes. You can correct me if I am wrong.

At some point isn't football about making a play against the guy across from you?

My favorite quote from the weekend was Troy's Neal Brown on upsetting LSU: "That wasn't a fluke. We didn't run one trick play...." https://twitter.com/AlexS_ESPN/status/914900241349935104

I'm not trying to troll or argue, I'm actually interested in getting your point that I missed.

He is not saying run trick plays.. you are kinda moving goal post here.. actually troy has alot of oresnap motion in their offense which helps price his point.. they probably motioned more in that game than we have all year..

What it does it make the defense think.. they have to make sure they are sound every play alignment wise or could result in big play.. one guy out of position and it can be td. It's such an easy concept to add that gives coaches n players guys n we never do it.. it's not a trick play it's just a simple added pre snap wrinkle..

When u just line up n go u better have a dominant online and great athletes outside that can win one on one battles repeatedly.. last year when we played in Oct and got to meet of schedule where we played comparable talent.. we saw results.. let's see what happens this year

Advertisement
Richt needs to get Herndon involved, he is a mismatch nightmare.

I like Herndon and all, but calling him a matchup nightmare is a stretch. He is not the speed guy to stretch the field. He's the guy that can get you a big 6-7 yard catch at the marker for a first down, or catch a ball out of the backfield. What makes Herndon versatile is that you can line him up anywhere. But, I wouldn't say he's a matchup nightmare.

I think for where and what we are, Richt has done an okay job so far. Yes, the offense is conservative and uncomplicated. We have a 1st-time, journeyman starting quarterback who in Richt's own words didn't think would ever be a starter at Miami. That said, I think Richt is getting the most out of Rosier in particular than any of us reasonably expected. He's doing this primarily by limiting the offense - lean on the run game and give the QB single-reads and limited RPO, and if it's not there tell him to tuck and run and get what he can.

I agree we need to add more screens, jet sweeps, swing passes, etc. The offense is just very basic. Not using any motion is what ****es me off the most. Motion can do so much for an offense. Gets mismatches and can confuse the defense at times. Helps in identifying what type of coverage the defense is in. Just doesn't make any sense how a supposed "offensive" coach doesn't use any motion.

There's a reason why vanilla ice cream out sells all other flavors combined.

All of these teams...ALL OF THEM, with these gimmick schemes where every **** body is running around before the snap...they look great against about 80% of their competition, but get their **** pushed in the moment they play a competent, well coached defense (Think Oregon). Why? Because it's window dressing. Good eye discipline and proper execution beats window dressing all the time. Not to mention they also rack up a ton of procedure penalties (see Toledo).

It's one thing, and a completely rational one, to want us to do a little more to get our play makers in space. It is an entirely different thing to want us to switch from a time tested and proven offense to a gimmick scheme that never manages to get past the better defenses in the country. You're not going to beat Clemson or Bama with gimmicks or trick plays. You beat them with precise execution and discipline on both sides of the ball.

It's funny how your perception most likely has changed on team like Clemson who had running memes on them UNTIL they changed to what you consider "gimmicky" offense.. lol.. you are proving the point.. Clemson is in same position as Oregon.. they motion and fake sweeps dam near every play..

Only difference is Clemson can get players that Oregon can't.. **** even saban bought in kiffin to add spice to their offense.. Oregon even making it to bcc championship game and being a score away with players like Jeff maehl as #1 target proves the offense works!

Those offenses stopped being called gimmick schemes looong ago.. guess you didn't get the memo.. heck our coach adds zone read n rpo to our offense all we are saying is if you gonna do it.. go all the way

Advertisement
Back