Richt's offense this year

FSU is going to put a sht ton of pressure on Miami's offensive line and make 12 get rid of the ball quickly under duress. He will need to be spot on up there for Miami to win this game. FSU will shorten the game as much as possible so Miami needs to do a great job of protecting the ball.

FSU has 2 options - rush 4 and have confidence that their front 4 can bring heat against our inconsistent OL, or, stack the box and put heat on rosier. Wouldn’t be surprised if they started with the former to see if they can get away with it.

Advertisement
Fsu struggles tremendously with a mobile qb. Those yards will be there for malik rosier for sure

Last edited:
FSU is going to put a sht ton of pressure on Miami's offensive line and make 12 get rid of the ball quickly under duress. He will need to be spot on up there for Miami to win this game. FSU will shorten the game as much as possible so Miami needs to do a great job of protecting the ball.

FSU has 2 options - rush 4 and have confidence that their front 4 can bring heat against our inconsistent OL, or, stack the box and put heat on rosier. Wouldn’t be surprised if they started with the former to see if they can get away with it.

I would harass 12 if I was them and try and get him to throw into a few mistakes. Same thing Miami needs to do to their QB. Can't let him sit back there and gain confidence and keep their uniform clean.

Fsu struggles tremendously with a mobile qb. Those yards will be there for malik rosier for sure

Wake ran their QB a lot with not much success. He's a scrappy little guy with similar athleticism to Rosier. They ran a lot of designed run plays for him though where he'd fake the handoff and follow the RB. There was almost never a hole there, but they ran it incessantly. Rick will never do that, but Wake at least showed us what not to do with the QB run game.

Wake ran their QB a lot with not much success. He's a scrappy little guy with similar athleticism to Rosier. They ran a lot of designed run plays for him though where he'd fake the handoff and follow the RB. There was almost never a hole there, but they ran it incessantly. Rick will never do that, but Wake at least showed us what not to do with the QB run game.

They ran a lot of stupid QB draws that were just up the gut. Hopefully we never see anything like that this week.

Advertisement
Waiting for FSU to "open up the playbook"

I know it gets kind of cliche but it stands to reason you don't show everything you have if you don't need to. I expect to see more screens, e.g. in this game to take advantage of FSU's aggressiveness. That doesn't mean we have open up the playbook if we run some more screens. It is just something you don't want to have too much on film leading up to a game like this so at least there is an element of surprise. We might see some other stuff too...maybe more Berrios in the slot, Herndon getting more involved in the passing game, etc.

The "open up the playbook" stuff gets overblown and has become kind of an inside joke. But there is some of it that just makes sense from a coaching standpoint not to show all your cards until needed.

I know it gets kind of cliche but it stands to reason you don't show everything you have if you don't need to. I expect to see more screens, e.g. in this game to take advantage of FSU's aggressiveness. That doesn't mean we have open up the playbook if we run some more screens. It is just something you don't want to have too much on film leading up to a game like this so at least there is an element of surprise. We might see some other stuff too...maybe more Berrios in the slot, Herndon getting more involved in the passing game, etc.

The "open up the playbook" stuff gets overblown and has become kind of an inside joke. But there is some of it that just makes sense from a coaching standpoint not to show all your cards until needed.

If he was saving screen plays for FSU then he may be the biggest gambler in the world. The screen play was begging to be called on Friday and he literally used it once despite the tight game.

They ran a lot of stupid QB draws that were just up the gut. Hopefully we never see anything like that this week.

would not be too surprised to see it in the red zone some as much trouble we have had punching it in. Rosier has had some success with it (against Toledo and thought one play against Duke where he almost got in). Just something more for the defense to think about.

Advertisement
My kingdom for more slants and shallow crosses (mesh concepts). What makes it even more infuriating is that whenever we do throw stuff over the middle...we get huge gains.

In all my years of watching football I simply cannot explain why Richt chooses to completely ignore the middle of the field for large stretches in every game. It feels like every other play is 4 verticals.

It cost us the month of October last year....let's hope Richt has learned his lesson.

Those throws, while they seem useless, they do a lot.

1) They are safe throws (i.e., can't really throw a pick on them);
2) Backs off a defense big time, since we got some real athletes on the outside;
3) We throw deep because of what was said above, we got athletes; and
4) Because Malik is a gunslinger, throwing over the middle causes potential for interceptions (if you've noticed, all of them have been there with him).

He's playing to his strength. Now with that being said, when he does throw over the middle it works, well because he rarely does, but when eh does its a monster gain, it's a set up man.

Disagree brother....those throws are relatively safe and they are CHAIN MOVERS. They keep drives alive and sustain possession.

So basically, I'm arguing he's got the whole thing backwards. He should be sprinkling in the 4 verticals and then THEY would be much more effective and would provide the big plays.

We have athletes. Athletes can catch and run.....those routes I mentioned are MADE for catch and run.

Last edited:

Looked more like QB power to me.

If he was saving screen plays for FSU then he may be the biggest gambler in the world. The screen play was begging to be called on Friday and he literally used it once despite the tight game.

Tight game? Was Duke ever within 10 points of us after the 1st quarter? ****. It's like if we don't score a TD on every play Richt can't call plays. We put up 52 last week and people were trashing the play calling. And we threw TE screen to Herndon for a TD and hit Dayall Harris over the middle for another. Ahmmon Richards scored on a slant against Duke. And that's not counting all the balls that have been dropped or poorly thrown. On that short yardage play you guys are harping on, Corey Gaynor just missed his block. He flat ran right past his assignment and Walton got stuffed. Not a **** thing wrong with that play other than the execution.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more motion and some misdirection concepts, but come on. Duke had only allowed 15 points per game before Friday, and we more than doubled that. We beat them by nearly 5 times the spread.

I know we don't have a true fullback but I would like to see us lineup in the I more whether we have a FB lined up or not especially if Walton is a little tender. He is better getting up field then going East/West.

Advertisement
execution and discipline first. if we can't do that on basic plays, we are going to have a hard time opening it up. I like our approach. We will see on Saturday.

Tight game? Was Duke ever within 10 points of us after the 1st quarter? ****. It's like if we don't score a TD on every play Richt can't call plays. We put up 52 last week and people were trashing the play calling. And we threw TE screen to Herndon for a TD and hit Dayall Harris over the middle for another. Ahmmon Richards scored on a slant against Duke. And that's not counting all the balls that have been dropped or poorly thrown. On that short yardage play you guys are harping on, Corey Gaynor just missed his block. He flat ran right past his assignment and Walton got stuffed. Not a **** thing wrong with that play other than the execution.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more motion and some misdirection concepts, but come on. Duke had only allowed 15 points per game before Friday, and we more than doubled that. We beat them by nearly 5 times the spread.

Execution and play-calling are not mutually exclusive. The bolded reminds me of Richt's dumbass quote from last year that (paraphrasing here) "play-calling is overrated, we just need to execute better." No. We can out-talent (execute) teams like Duke and Bethune. But FSU is a different story. They have players. Yeah, you can look at most plays and say "but if Donaldson, the freshman, didn't get his *** kicked by two all-american DT's (Nandi and Christmas)" or "McDermott didn't get blown up by Burns or Sweat" then the run play woulda worked! Richt needs to scheme to our advantages and FSU's disadvantages. Away from slow, methodical, power football, which FSU will win every time because they have the talent to 'execute', and more towards spreading them out, screens to counter blitzes, and misdirections to create confusion and hesitation, and tempo to wear down their exceptional athletes. We need to put our players in a position to execute (succeed).

When things got stagnant vs Dook, I'd have liked to see a bubble or 2 to Thomas or Harley.

Maybe we 1 or 2 this weekend

Advertisement
Shallow crosses please.

Throw to running backs across the middle while they're matched up with LBers please.

Execution and play-calling are not mutually exclusive. The bolded reminds me of Richt's dumbass quote from last year that (paraphrasing here) "play-calling is overrated, we just need to execute better." No. We can out-talent (execute) teams like Duke and Bethune. But FSU is a different story. They have players. Yeah, you can look at most plays and say "but if Donaldson, the freshman, didn't get his *** kicked by two all-american DT's (Nandi and Christmas)" or "McDermott didn't get blown up by Burns or Sweat" then the run play woulda worked! Richt needs to scheme to our advantages and FSU's disadvantages. Away from slow, methodical, power football, which FSU will win every time because they have the talent to 'execute', and more towards spreading them out, screens to counter blitzes, and misdirections to create confusion and hesitation, and tempo to wear down their exceptional athletes. We need to put our players in a position to execute (succeed).

If Gaynor gets a hat on his man Walton scores standing up. Don't try to conflate a player getting beaten with one who flat out missed his assignment. Just because you think it helps your point. Gaynor was the lead blocker on that play and failed to block anybody. There was nothing wrong with that play call. The execution killed it. And there's not a **** thing wrong with that Richt quote. I'm constantly amazed at the level of intelligence a person must have to think that players who struggle with a simple off-tackle lead need to start running double motion fly sweeps to make up for it.

My kingdom for more slants and shallow crosses (mesh concepts). What makes it even more infuriating is that whenever we do throw stuff over the middle...we get huge gains.

In all my years of watching football I simply cannot explain why Richt chooses to completely ignore the middle of the field for large stretches in every game. It feels like every other play is 4 verticals.

It cost us the month of October last year....let's hope Richt has learned his lesson.

i wanted to say this last year he did the same thing. Im just going to say dude is scared, he was scared last year because he didnt know Kayaa like that and again this year as he doesnt completely trust Rosier.

What even funnier is..he called the screens alot last week to....HERNDON (our te). Then completely forgot him in the gameplan this week, then calls a wr screen to Caher with Braxton Berrios as the lead blocker...Richt in my opinion has a grab bag offense, that im not a fan of currently. I mean its ok..but i expected more from him...we havent had a wr go in motion for 2 years lol

i doubt it. Theyre dc is blitz happy...he will bring it

Advertisement
Back