Richt's offense this year

bill fqin Snyder still fielding competitive teams with age old concepts, but mofos complaining about Richts old concepts. lmao

Advertisement
Have you not watched a game this year? We've ran plenty of zone read. Richt also ran plenty of RPO last year with Kaaya. It would seem that Richt likes to tailor the play calling to his QB's strengths and away from his weaknesses.

But what does he know. He's only coached two Heisman winning QB's.

Exactly, we have seen Richt use Shallow cross concepts(his best work), RPO concepts, Zone reads, straight up power football with 12/13 personnel.

The mans career shows a variety of different concepts and methods. These guys swear we line up in I formation and run a HB dive every down.

They swear every passing/route combination is 4 vert and we NEVER touch the middle of the field.

You ask them to actually chart a game, play by play, and they'd never post again because what they say is totally unfuqqin true.

You have to be an insanely accurate passer to consistently throw over the middle in short to intermediate routes without a ton of interceptions.

Any tipped ball, batted, overthrown ball can be a interception.

Its too risky when you can clearly generate offensive firepower without it if the players just fuqin execute.

Everything these guys say we don't do can easily be disproven besides that dumb *** motion shid that doesn't provide enough benefit to be so pressed on using it.

The more acclimated Richt gets the more wrinkles he will add; but you gotta know and trust your players abilities to do these things.

Something that takes time. Till then, I think our offense is just fine.

Without missed blocks and dropped passes half of you would have nothing to say on this **** board.

Stop saying offenses have evolved like Richt has been out of coaching for 10 years. He has seen every bit of the evolution of offense as he has been right there with it the entire way. 20 years ago or not, his resume' is still more impressive than half the coaches you guys swear we should hire or replace him with.
You're arguing several points that I don't think anybody who's intelligent is making, unless you're just talking to the idiots then nevermind lol.

What I think some are arguing (or I'll just speak for myself) is that our Offense since last year has gone through some stints where they were completely stagnant & simply couldn't move the ball.

We saw it a lot in the 4 game slide, we saw in the 2nd half of the season when we went on the win streak, the 1st halves for a lot of those games we won with the exception of Pitt, we just looked pedestrian.

The Offense looked that same way the 1st half vs Tol & after that 1st quarter vs Duke we literally just stopped moving the ball, until it finally picked up, but in between there were a **** ton of 3 & outs.

Now, is it nitpicking that to say there could be an issue there, maybe, but I also think it's noticeable to the point that people are hoping it doesn't happen again like it did last year.

Execution vs actual play design is always the debate, you could show on film dozens of plays where if we simply blocked upfront the play would've been a success. You can also show film of plays where the initial call regardless of how properly executed simply didn't make sense for the situation.

The point is, I (speaking for myself) really hope we don't always have to argue about execution vs play design in the event of a loss.

It should never be misunderstood where I'm coming from on this play calling issue, I'm not in favor of an OC because "Richt sucks" & we're running old school style Offense, I simply think another pair of eyes would do nothing but help Richt & our Offense altogether.

I know for a fact that Richt is never going to give up play calling, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but would it not be beneficial for him to at least have someone else to help have some ideas to bounce off of? Not even saying hiring an OC, just somene who understands what he's trying to do Offensively & can help him do it even better?

Related but unrelated

This makes me think of Helfrich. I know this guy was met with just for consultation purposes, but how did he not land some kind of role anywhere else?

Have you not watched a game this year? We've ran plenty of zone read. Richt also ran plenty of RPO last year with Kaaya. It would seem that Richt likes to tailor the play calling to his QB's strengths and away from his weaknesses.

Exactly, we have seen Richt use Shallow cross concepts(his best work), RPO concepts, Zone reads, straight up power football with 12/13 personnel.

The mans career shows a variety of different concepts and methods. These guys swear we line up in I formation and run a HB dive every down.

They swear every passing/route combination is 4 vert and we NEVER touch the middle of the field.

You ask them to actually chart a game, play by play, and they'd never post again because what they say is totally unfuqqin true.

You have to be an insanely accurate passer to consistently throw over the middle in short to intermediate routes without a ton of interceptions.

Its too risky when you can clearly generate offensive firepower without it if the players just fuqin execute.

Everything these guys say we don't do can easily be disproven besides that dumb *** motion shid that doesn't provide enough benefit to be so pressed on using it.

The more acclimated Richt gets the more wrinkles he will add; but you gotta know and trust your players abilities to do these things.

Without missed blocks and dropped passes half of you would have nothing to say on this **** board.

Stop saying offenses have evolved like Richt has been out of coaching for 10 years. He has seen every bit of the evolution of offense as he has been right there with it the entire way. 20 years ago or not, his resume' is still more impressive than half the coaches you guys swear we should hire or replace him with.
You're arguing several points that I don't think anybody who's intelligent is making, unless you're just talking to the idiots then nevermind lol.

What I think some are arguing (or I'll just speak for myself) is that our Offense since last year has gone through some stints where they were completely stagnant & simply couldn't move the ball.

We saw it a lot in the 4 game slide, we saw in the 2nd half of the season when we went on the win streak, the 1st halves for a lot of those games we won with the exception of Pitt, we just looked pedestrian.

The Offense looked that same way the 1st half vs Tol & after that 1st quarter vs Duke we literally just stopped moving the ball, until it finally picked up, but in between there were a **** ton of 3 & outs.

Now, is it nitpicking that to say there could be an issue there, maybe, but I also think it's noticeable to the point that people are hoping it doesn't happen again like it did last year.

Execution vs actual play design is always the debate, you could show on film dozens of plays where if we simply blocked upfront the play would've been a success. You can also show film of plays where the initial call regardless of how properly executed simply didn't make sense for the situation.

The point is, I (speaking for myself) really hope we don't always have to argue about execution vs play design in the event of a loss.

It should never be misunderstood where I'm coming from on this play calling issue, I'm not in favor of an OC because "Richt sucks" & we're running old school style Offense, I simply think another pair of eyes would do nothing but help Richt & our Offense altogether.

I know for a fact that Richt is never going to give up play calling, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but would it not be beneficial for him to at least have someone else to help have some ideas to bounce off of? Not even saying hiring an OC, just somene who understands what he's trying to do Offensively & can help him do it even better?

Done some of that the off-season with Mark Helfrich. I know he’s not here in the regular season, he was here just as a consultant, but nobody runs more “unique” type offenses than Oregon did the last few years. I don’t know how much of it he’s adopted, obviously not much, but at least the ideas there, who knows if you’d up some of these looks. Wouldn’t hurt . But surprised he hadn’t done anything yet.

Done some of that the off-season with Mark Helfrich. I know he’s not here in the regular season, he was here just as a consultant, but nobody runs more “unique” type offenses than Oregon did the last few years. I don’t know how much of it he’s adopted, obviously not much, but at least the ideas there, who knows if you’d up some of these looks. Wouldn’t hurt . But surprised he hadn’t done anything yet.
That's why I posted that video on the previous page, I mean we would have to assume that's the only reason he visited us earlier this year.

Workshopping ideas.

Advertisement

Yes, I was talking to the idiots and the people who keep posting that dumb *** " we only run 4 verts" comment. Richt is multiple. He doesn't have a base offense. We have seen the guy run just about anything.

I don't think any playcaller is perfect and I agree that it wouldn't hurt to get another good offensive mind in the war room to provide innovation.

I think the reason met with Herf in the offseason is to do what he always does, create new wrinkles and add new concepts. I just don't see us hiring anyone on that level because; 1 itll cost a lot and we know how much we penny pinch. 2, its the reason why Richt felt he lost control at Georgia. 3. itll cause a mutiny in the locker room coaches room and fanbase. OC are typically ego maniacs and you cant have two in the room. You also have to trust your players can adjust as you adjust and Richt doesn't really trust the Golden recruits, imo.

Yes, I was talking to the idiots and the people who keep posting that dumb *** " we only run 4 verts" comment. Richt is multiple. He doesn't have a base offense. We have seen the guy run just about anything.

I don't think any playcaller is perfect and I agree that it wouldn't hurt to get another good offensive mind in the war room to provide innovation.

I think the reason met with Herf in the offseason is to do what he always does, create new wrinkles and add new concepts. I just don't see us hiring anyone on that level because; 1 itll cost a lot and we know how much we penny pinch. 2, its the reason why Richt felt he lost control at Georgia. 3. itll cause a mutiny in the locker room coaches room and fanbase. OC are typically ego maniacs and you cant have two in the room. You also have to trust your players can adjust as you adjust and Richt doesn't really trust the Golden recruits, imo.
I agree with that. And ultimately, as long as we win Idgaf what we run lol

I think our Offense is very good when it's run properly, I just think we can be great & for some reason we have these weird series in almost every game where it seems like we just can't move the ball for like a whole quarter or two.

Even with all that said, I still think we beat FSU handily 37-20. I just still feel like we haven't seen this thing running at optimum level yet.

I really really think, and hope, Mark Richt has strategically been holding back on the offense just for this game. There's too much on the playbook that has not been touch. In the Duke press conference Ahmmon Richards said there's a lot of plays that has not been touched yet that is explosive. And today, on IG, Jeff Thomas posted "I won't regret getting this new upgrade I see." Not sure what that means, but my guess is... the playbook will come out this Saturday, and FSU won't know how to prepare for it.

Last edited:

I 2nd this sentiment. I was, and have already said, I was referring specifically to the idiots. I have no doubt that [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION] has a better understanding of all this than I do, and I'm pretty sure [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] understands what's going on, but would like to see us mix it up a little more to keep the defenses guessing. I'm not against that at all, but I trust CMR to run what he believes will allow us to be successful.

Advertisement

I 2nd this sentiment. I was, and have already said, I was referring specifically to the idiots. I have no doubt that [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION] has a better understanding of all this than I do, and I'm pretty sure [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] understands what's going on, but would like to see us mix it up a little more to keep the defenses guessing. I'm not against that at all, but I trust CMR to run what he believes will allow us to be successful.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what im saying. ****, I don't like the constant 3 and outs and sputters in the offense either but I trust Mark as he has done more than enough to earn that trust and his career is quite evident of his ability to adapt.

guys want us to run more shallow crosses and routes attacking the middle of the field but forget RIVHT made his NAME with the shallow cross concepts. He has mastered that, so if he isn't running it, wouldn't you think its because he knows we don't have the talent to execute it properly.

Rosier nor Kaaya were accurate enough to consistently attack the middle of the field. I don't get why some people don't understand that.

Richt understands the shallow cross better than anyone here and prob in college football. If hes not running it, its with good reason.

Rosier on the goal line, sneaked it in. Great. Good call. It worked.

Later, on the goal line, Richt calls three in a row, whereas ten feet either side of the center - there was no one on either side.

That's the kind of crap calls that drive me nuts. If it worked once, you can bet they'll be looking for that again and it probably won't work again.

It was nuts to do that again. And again. And again.

If anybody thinks that this offense is sufficient then I'd have to question if they even watch college football.
We do nothing creative on offense. We're extremely vanilla. We don't find ways to get guys in space. Truthfully, when we succeed it's usually just us "out-athlete'ing" people. People give us man coverage and our athletes are better than their's.

Watch a decent college offense and tell me if we look anything alike.

If we have better athletes and the other team is playing man to man, aren't we supposed to out-athlete them?

How's that gonna work against Clemson or FSU?

Sometimes it will work. Sometimes it won't. I think Richt is middle-of-the-road on offense. Obviously not a mastermind, but not an idiot.

We see "masterminds" get shut down all the time against better competition. Olive Garden had the Heisman trophy winner last year, and the team fizzled down the stretch.

Clemson won the national championship, yet we looked better against Pitt and NC State. **** happens.

Matt Canada was supposed to slay with LSU's talent, and so far they look like garbage.

Could Richt be more creative? For sure. But motion and shovel passes won't be the difference between victory and defeat against Clemson.

Advertisement
Richt was essentially running an up-tempo power-spread at FSU with the fast break offense, so the idea that CFB offenses have evolved and passed him by isn't accurate. It's a matter of personnel, conditioning, and execution. We're in year two and it's gonna take another cycle or so to get that depth necessary (especially O-line) to not have these lulls in execution. The truth is, even really good offensive teams go through lulls but they're so talented and, more importantly, execute so well that they can cover up mistakes.

Richt may appear to get better as the year goes on, but it's more the players comfort-level and execution of the concepts. Kudos to him for getting the most out of Malik.

I respect a lot of the insights and opinions about Rosier, RPO, WRs, etc.; however, a solid running game is the foundation of any offensive scheme. Canes must recruit elite OLs and RBs to compete for championships from an offensive perspective. Canes blueprint has always been an aggressive dominate defense, stable of RBs, elite TEs and WRs, with above average OL and QB.

Basically, establishing a power and quick running attack open up big plays: play actions to TE, RB screens, and deep passing. The running game cause a defense to put an extra player (safety) in the box to support. TE, RB, and WR now have one-on-one match-ups. Alabama copied Canes system, and we had coaches (Shannon and Golden) who ignored the original blueprint, which was developed by Coach Schelly.

Advertisement
El brings up a good point, no chance Richt lets go of his play calling duties, but I'd love to have an OC hawk perched up in the booth looking down. Working in tandem with Rick, they could really make adjustments to crush opponents.

I think the reason for this is Rosier is playing QB and he athletic enough to pull the ball and run with it in the option which is basically what all the rpo's and screens were last year for kaaya, if he pulled the ball he couldnt run so they had screens and other pass routes available to him for when he decided to pull it.

This.

No real reason to run the RPO when your QB is athletic enough to beat the defense on zone reads.

I would like to see more of a screen/swing pass game, esp with Harley, Thomas, and Berrios though

Something tells me that we will start to see Harley and Thomas more involved in the offense very soon. A 3WR look with Richards, Harley and Thomas could be lethal. That's a lot of speed which is why I can't wait for Thomas and Harley to start picking it up and become more comfortable in this offense. Once it clicks for Thomas and Harley, this offense will put most any defense to bed. Early!

I haven't seen Thomas catch one yet but have seen 4/5 drops by Harley...They need to do a take with Berrios on catching first then the run...

My guess is he brought Helfrich in to help with read option principles because he knew he'd be running a lot of read option this year where the QB would actually be a viable option.

If you want to run that read option perfectly there's a lot more to it than looking at the DE and deciding whether or not to hand the ball to the RB. Fakes and proper steps by the QB are essential to opening up space for the RB.

Advertisement
Back