Richt blocks Gus

I think it is crappy of Gus Edwards to attempt to throw Miami under the bus with leaking this info to the media ahead of him filling formal papers to transfers in order to gain leverage over the situation. knowing full well this would generate negative press for Miami just before National Signing Day, in hopes Miami will acquiesce!

Link to article
AD: Miami Hurricanes won’t let transfer Gus Edwards play immediately at Syracuse, Pittsburgh | Canes Watch

AD: Miami Hurricanes won’t let transfer Gus Edwards play immediately at Syracuse, Pittsburgh | Canes Watch

It looks like Miami’s home game against Syracuse this fall will not be the Gus Edwards Bowl.

A report from Scout.com said Miami is not allowing Edwards, a grad transfer running back, to transfer to Syracuse or Pittsburgh, two schools closer to his Staten Island, N.Y. home.

The issue, UM Athletics Director Blake James said, is that those schools are on Miami’s 2017 schedule. According to James, Edwards has not approached UM with a formal request to transfer, but UM would not waive the NCAA’s one-time transfer exception for those schools.

“Institutionally, our policy has been that we would not do that for a school we’re going to play in the upcoming season,” James said.

Without a waiver from UM, Edwards could still transfer to Syracuse or Pittsburgh, but he would have to sit out a year. That would not be in his best interests, since his five-year NCAA eligibility expires after 2017.

The situation seems to be at odds with Mark Richt‘s prior statements on transfers. While at Georgia and Miami, he has said he doesn’t like restricting players moving anywhere — even teams he would face that season — because “life’s too short.” Richt’s role in this current situation is unclear.

“If he thinks he will have success at a school you compete against, then so be it,” Richt said in 2012.

Edwards, who played three seasons at UM and rushed for 977 yards and 12 touchdowns on 186 carries, recently became a father and reportedly seeks family support.

As a high-schooler, Edwards chose Miami over Syracuse and 13 others. Schools on that list not on Miami’s 2017 schedule include Boston College, UConn, Rutgers and Temple.

Advertisement
How is this a bad look on Miami, or unfair? This is literally standard operating procedure for all major D1 ADs.

If CMR/Blake/anybody at Miami (FL) is worried that we could lose to Syracuse if Gus spills our secrets to them, then we have a program led by giant gaping vaginas. Let him go wherever he wants. If we lose to Syracuse, we suck anyway, so who cares?

Advertisement
I hate this ****. You guys can be grumpy old men all you want but the reality is this kid is transferring because we essentially told him he isn't good enough to be here, so why do we care where he goes?

How is this a bad look on Miami, or unfair? This is literally standard operating procedure for all major D1 ADs.

Since when is Miami (FL) the "follow the crowd at chow time" program? Lets get back to the win with us or lose to us mentality.

I thought the Bama DB transferring to UGA cleared up the graduate transfer debate?

The initial school still has to release the kid from his scholarship in order for him to be on scholarship at the new school.

And if they don't release the kid, he can't transfer.

The ONLY difference between grad transfer and undergraduate is that the kid doesn't have to sit out. Other than that, it's the same situation.

The rule is in place to prevent coaches from recruiting players from other teams. A team would be well within their rights to block a kid from a school if they felt that team was recruiting that player, and giving him an incentive to transfer.

Advertisement
If Gus is the only thing standing between us and a loss to Syracuse, we have much bigger problems. Let him go.

Advertisement
I'm assuming he is a Graduate transfer. If so, I don't think the school can block him. If he doesn't have his degree yet, he'd have to sit out a year and he's already used his redshirt season.

Advertisement
I'm assuming he is a Graduate transfer. If so, I don't think the school can block him. If he doesn't have his degree yet, he'd have to sit out a year and he's already used his redshirt season.

Grad transfers can be blocked.

Bama did it with the DB (Maurice Smith) who wanted to transfer to UGA last year, then released him after they got a bunch of grief.

The issue, UM Athletics Director Blake James said, is that those schools are on Miami’s 2017 schedule. According to James, Edwards has not approached UM with a formal request to transfer, but if he did, UM would not waive the NCAA’s one-time transfer exception for those schools.

“Institutionally, our policy has been that we would not do that for a school we’re going to play in the upcoming season,” James said.

I don't see where it's blocked or been asked for in this article. I believe James was asked and he responded with his legal jargon.

Advertisement
Back