Richt #22 highest paid coach, worth it?

Coach Richt is a top 10 coach imo... I'm not naming 10 coaches that i would rather have or that's better than him bc it's bullshxt.

Advertisement
People are dreaming if they think an unemployed Richt didn't get the FSU job over Taggart last year. Former OC of Bobby Bowden replacing another former Bobby Bowden OC. Richt is loyal and the disloyalty of Jimbo would have been fresh in their mouths. I could see Richt making the $5 mill. Richt could have been commentating or being an OC at another program between the end of 2015 and 2017.

Richt at FSU would truly be a nightmare for us.

I can't think about Clemp'son winning another title without throwing up a little in my mouth. I also really don't think Dabo gets another one there. Maybe at Alabama in a few years though.

On Gundy and Dantonio, you're dead on, I mean, name a season that Michigan State isn't one of the most thrown around names for "who is going to surprise this year"? It happens every **** year and then they either grind through a week *** schedule and we have to hear about how great they are until they inevitably lose to PSU or OSU, or they lose early to some chump, and then we have to hear all season about how they are now a dangerous team. Gundy, basically same deal. I just don't see it. Sure, they are good at their programs, who are stable and happy to beat their rival every few years, but they get far more respect than they deserve.

Gus and Petrino seem to do enough to not get fired and not much more. Wouldn't want either anywhere near my program, unless my HC is Saban and they are there as OC. Both are solid offensive minds. Both are also coRches as HC.

Harbaugh is a phony and a cult of personality, as I said. At this point, I think even HE believes he is that guy in the horn rimmed glasses. He is an interesting study in the frailties of human nature, nothing more.

I believe one of the most underrated aspects of Richt is his understanding of the culture @ the U. It's obviously changed quite a bit since he was a student. However, he coached at FSU for 15 years during the best of the rivalry years and did a lot of recruiting in SFL during his tenures at FSU and UGAY. I don't believe any other coaching candidate would have had this advantage.

Obviously, Richt also has a vested interest as well being at his alma mater.

He's overcome a lot in a short period of time and made vast improvements in both the roster and facilities. I, for one, am looking forward to what's to come in the near and distant future.

Yup, and it's not like UH was a doormat when He took over.

What Franklin did at Vandy vaults Him ahead of Herman & Harbaugh.

Harbaugh did genius work at Stanford. The Cardinals were 0-11 (or 1-10) the year before he was hired, and ranked in the Top 5 after a BCS bowl dominant win over VT his last season. He went 3-1 vs Pete Carroll and USC, including a 24-23 win in LA as a 40+ point dog.

Harbaugh 'struggled' with a 28-11 record his first three seasons at Michigan, but the bar is set very high. I think his ego got in his way, maybe he's getting past that. 4-1 so far in 2018.

Franklin was 24-15 at Vandy, 2-1 in minor bowls. His record at PSU is excellent after two years settling in.

I give Harbaugh the nod for his work at Stanford, but both are excellent coaches prone to bad moments.

Both have blown leads to Urban Meyer and Ohio State.

Advertisement
I still think we gave him an extension too soon tbh.

Love the job he's doing overall, but we jumped the gun waaaaaay too fast extending him.

You people realize that it's not about the NUMBER of years, it's about the BUYOUT, right? You can extend someone for the rest of their lives, but if the buyout is manageable, then it's perfectly fine. It's amazing how people don't understand this simple concept. Extensions are barely worth the paper they are written on, especially if the buyout is extremely low.

You right. Dude could've built an empire at UCF. I know his banging *** wife is like "wtf am I doing here ? "

What empire? UCF would have been a Florida version of Boise State. In other words, a program that makes some major bowl games but is extremely unlikely to do anything more. No major conference is taking UCF, outside of the Big XII, and I doubt they would be willing to take a school that is at BEST the 4th most important in the state. Orlando is SEC/ACC country, the Big XII knows full well adding UCF won't bring the eyeballs commensurate with Orlando being a nice sized market.

I’d say mark is top ten. The problem is we need to be number one, so the question is can he beat better coach’s with Miami talent? Money wise, he is not overpaid but his staff is very question and need to be improved .. that will cost money but I wouldn’t spend on who we have.

What empire? UCF would have been a Florida version of Boise State. In other words, a program that makes some major bowl games but is extremely unlikely to do anything more. No major conference is taking UCF, outside of the Big XII, and I doubt they would be willing to take a school that is at BEST the 4th most important in the state. Orlando is SEC/ACC country, the Big XII knows full well adding UCF won't bring the eyeballs commensurate with Orlando being a nice sized market.
Different world right now. UCF is the states largest university and will soon be its richest. Huge alumni base. Low academic standards. Media darlings. They could surpass one of the big three in a couple of years on the trajectory it looked like Frost had them on. It would all be dependent upon a move into a Power 5 Conference, but he was building something special there.

Advertisement
You people realize that it's not about the NUMBER of years, it's about the BUYOUT, right? You can extend someone for the rest of their lives, but if the buyout is manageable, then it's perfectly fine. It's amazing how people don't understand this simple concept. Extensions are barely worth the paper they are written on, especially if the buyout is extremely low.
I understand it perfectly, and I stand by what I said. I think the extension was too early and unnecessary at that time.

Yep, but we are fortunate with Richt. Nobody will accuse me on here of being a Richt slurper, I have been quite critical at times, and he is not perfect. That said, he has done a tremendous job so far, with a lot more left to be done. We are fortunate to have him, and I would also bet that, while he doesn't want to be DIS-respected by the school, he will be relatively satisfied here with the money he is making as long as the school invests in the program via facilities, assistant coaching budget, support staff budget, etc, etc.

If Iwe couldn’t have Butch, Mark was the clear pick. Are talent level is not at the point where a young up and comer like JJ could step in and do shooting star thing. JJ follow best coach we ever had. And Dennis followed him with a team full of Butch players. Whoever took the job this time was following Golden. While we had some talent, the team was a mess.

Mark had leverage over the administration. They didn’t want Butch but **** sure we’re going to have to hire him if they didn’t get Mark. No way they were stealing a big name coach. So mark got a lot going to take the job ... see indoor practice facility. Butch was begging the job he should have never left and had no leverage. I am not sure mark can win a title, but he will leave better than he found us.

If Iwe couldn’t have Butch, Mark was the clear pick. Are talent level is not at the point where a young up and comer like JJ could step in and do shooting star thing. JJ follow best coach we ever had. And Dennis followed him with a team full of Butch players. Whoever took the job this time was following Golden. While we had some talent, the team was a mess.

Mark had leverage over the administration. They didn’t want Butch but **** sure we’re going to have to hire him if they didn’t get Mark. No way they were stealing a big name coach. So mark got a lot going to take the job ... see indoor practice facility. Butch was begging the job he should have never left and had no leverage. I am not sure mark can win a title, but he will leave better than he found us.

JJ was the best coach we ever had, but I can't argue with anyone who says it was Schnelly. I'm not sure anyone else could have gotten the ball rolling the way he did, including JJ.

I go back and forth on the Butch thing. He should have gotten a coaching job sooner after leaving UNC. If he had been doing what he is now at FIU or just about anywhere else for a couple years, showing the drive and desire, he might have made it harder on the BOT to give him a shot. Either way, at least in hindsight, when Richt came available, there was no other choice. Just goes to show, sometimes you don't get a second chance in life. Butch left us, he shouldn't have. It is what it is.

I think Richt can win a title here, but it's not going to be because he out-coaches everyone. If it happens, it will be because the City of Miami/South Florida wraps its arms around this program once again and all the top talent decides to stay home and make magic in the 305. And Richt just might be the kind of genuine guy who can be at the center of making that happen.

I have hope after the last two weeks. Regardless, you are right, we are at least not a complete embarrassment and the program will be better when Mark leaves than when he got here.

I give Harbaugh the nod for his work at Stanford, but both are excellent coaches prone to bad moments.

Disagree.

Stanford had a few winning seasons before Harbaugh got there, while you have to go back to 1974 before you could find the last Vandy coach to have a career winning record.

Here are the records of the 8 coaches that preceded Franklin:

Caldwell 2-10
Johnson 29-66
Widenhofer 15-40
Dowhower 4-18
DiNardo 19-25
Brown 10-45
Macintyre 25-52-1
Pancoast 40-52-1
Sloan 12-9-2

What Franklin did there was miraculous, and He didn't have an Andrew Luck.

Advertisement
Richt fell into the lap of the U. I don't think anyone saw it coming that he would be available. Richt was a on a luke warm seat, but I was shocked when it was announced he was "leaving" UGAY. Any UGAY fan I've talked to was stunned as well. I don't recall his name ever coming up during the HC search.

A Top-15 or thereabouts coach means we are competitive for Top 5 results when an especially good class of game-changers and impact players comes along and performs up to or above expectations. Hard to see Bama being dethroned any time soon, but with a little good luck could see us considered Nbr 2 in the nation sooner rather than later... (not forgetting we were ranked there for a bit last year too.) That would of course make $4-million a real bargain.

Different world right now. UCF is the states largest university and will soon be its richest. Huge alumni base. Low academic standards. Media darlings. They could surpass one of the big three in a couple of years on the trajectory it looked like Frost had them on. It would all be dependent upon a move into a Power 5 Conference, but he was building something special there.

Not even close. UCF is very poor. A few years ago, their endowment was smaller than Rollins’. And all the money guys in Orlando who can actually make a difference are Gators, who don’t care for UCFZ

They will be back to losing 12 games in a season soon enough

Advertisement
Not even close. UCF is very poor. A few years ago, their endowment was smaller than Rollins’. And all the money guys in Orlando who can actually make a difference are Gators.

They will be back to losing 12 games in a season soon enough
Their endowment is currently 1.5 billion. UFs is 1.6. FSUs is 1.7.

Like I said, diff world rn.

UCF has no path to a major conference besides the Big 12 and they don’t play anyone. **** UCF

Advertisement
Back