Richt #22 highest paid coach, worth it?

Advertisement
We will be in the Top 15 pretty much every year under Richt...so I don't think that is an unfair salary.

We really need to invest in better assistants though. Pony up.

Imagine Miami, if they could pony up LSU money for Dave Aranda?

Muschamp, Ferentz, Frost, Lovie, Willie Vanilli, Herman, Mullen are about the only ones I can argue have no business making more money than Richt.

Lovie and Harbaugh cashing in them Big 10 checks. Wow.

Harbaugh is stealing money. Hasn’t delievered anything.

Advertisement
University is criminally cheap.

All that money football brought it and it was never reinvested.

Miami could pay more for coaches and staff but they are happy being a middle of the road ACC squad and getting that profit sharing check.

JJ was the best coach we ever had, but I can't argue with anyone who says it was Schnelly. I'm not sure anyone else could have gotten the ball rolling the way he did, including JJ.

I go back and forth on the Butch thing. He should have gotten a coaching job sooner after leaving UNC. If he had been doing what he is now at FIU or just about anywhere else for a couple years, showing the drive and desire, he might have made it harder on the BOT to give him a shot. Either way, at least in hindsight, when Richt came available, there was no other choice. Just goes to show, sometimes you don't get a second chance in life. Butch left us, he shouldn't have. It is what it is.

I think Richt can win a title here, but it's not going to be because he out-coaches everyone. If it happens, it will be because the City of Miami/South Florida wraps its arms around this program once again and all the top talent decides to stay home and make magic in the 305. And Richt just might be the kind of genuine guy who can be at the center of making that happen.

I have hope after the last two weeks. Regardless, you are right, we are at least not a complete embarrassment and the program will be better when Mark leaves than when he got here.

I agree that was no question that once Mark got fired it was over for everyone else, including Butch. That ship has sailed. I agree that Mark needs help to win the NC and local talent turning away the bags for a chance at the greatest experience of their lives -- to be a Miami Hurricane that brought back the glory. It also requires that we, the fans can turn The Rock into to new OB like we did for ND game. We need that fire for the players to rise above and take the world again.

Mark is a class guy just like Howard, so you could be right. But Howard was a tremendous coach with a unbelievable pedigree few coaches can touch and a nastiness that the jacket and pipe cover up. He left JJ a NC QB and another Heisman QB. He was to recruiting QB talent as Butch was to the rest of football team. That said, is was JJ who made us THE U. He had grudges and the team took on that personality of payback for any disrespect. JJ hated OU but his OKS teams lack the talent to do anything, At Miami he had the material to ruin the OU dynasty and cost it two NCs. He hated Lou Holtz long before that ND game, team crushed ND in Holtz first season 24-0. He gave us that famous chip we carried around on our shoulder. Mark is our horse and we need to ride him, and ride him hard.

Curios why some on here say Richt is doing less with more when by any objective measure it’s not true.
Two 4 loss skids In 2 seasons. Losing to some lower quality teams, like Pitt last year while ranked #2. Some **** poor playcalling.

Ofcourse the counter to that is... he’s been stuck w a QB completing 45% of his passes, and had a bunch of injuries.

I don’t believe he’s done less with more... but I see why one might believe it. I think Richt is top 10.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Stanford had a few winning seasons before Harbaugh got there, while you have to go back to 1974 before you could find the last Vandy coach to have a career winning record.

Here are the records of the 8 coaches that preceded Franklin:

Caldwell 2-10
Johnson 29-66
Widenhofer 15-40
Dowhower 4-18
DiNardo 19-25
Brown 10-45
Macintyre 25-52-1
Pancoast 40-52-1
Sloan 12-9-2

What Franklin did there was miraculous, and He didn't have an Andrew Luck.

Fair enough. I’m not discounting Franklin.

Stanford did have some level of respectability but was awful when Harbaugh was hired. The program had not had a decent season in a decade, since Tyrone Willimgham was HC.
I

Advertisement
We will be in the Top 15 pretty much every year under Richt...so I don't think that is an unfair salary.

We really need to invest in better assistants though. Pony up.

Imagine Miami, if they could pony up LSU money for Dave Aranda?
Yea if they hired Aranda we’d prolly have One of the best Ds in the country!

Oh, wait....

Yea if they hired Aranda we’d prolly have One of the best Ds in the country!

Oh, wait....

Easy to be one of the best Ds in the country when your schedule has featured, in 4 of 5 games...the 47th, 55th, 78th, and 95th offenses in the country - and Savannah State.

I'm not sure, how, after seeing Aranda's defense in person, you'd try and discredit my statement.

Easy to be one of the best Ds in the country when your schedule has featured, in 4 of 5 games...the 47th, 55th, 78th, and 95th offenses in the country - and Savannah State.

I'm not sure, how, after seeing Aranda's defense in person, you'd try and discredit my statement.

At this point In the season, everybody’s stats are padded w nonP5 teams.

I wasn’t really trying to discredit your statement as much as pointing out that this D really is doing pretty good things under Diaz.

I understand it perfectly, and I stand by what I said. I think the extension was too early and unnecessary at that time.

What difference does it make? If the buyout is manageable, then why not give the extension, after leading Miami to two of the better seasons we've seen in the last 15 years? Never mind the fact that it's a cosmetic thing. Guess what, when you don't extend guys, people take it to mean that you don't have faith in them. That hurts recruiting. Guys are getting extensions earlier and earlier, especially if they've had any record of success. Richt isn't a guy who is going to run the program into the ground, so it makes sense to look like the athletic department believes in him.

Advertisement
Different world right now. UCF is the states largest university and will soon be its richest. Huge alumni base. Low academic standards. Media darlings. They could surpass one of the big three in a couple of years on the trajectory it looked like Frost had them on. It would all be dependent upon a move into a Power 5 Conference, but he was building something special there.

Merely being a diploma mill isn't enough to get you into a major conference. North Texas is HUGE, they aren't on anyone's radar to join a major conference. UCF has a lot of students, a huge alumni base, but a lot of that alumni base is more loyal to Big 3 schools, than they are UCF. UCF is a commuter school, it's a school for young professionals and working people. That's great, but it doesn't build the same kind of loyalty that a traditional, residential college does.

By the way, UCF can win from now till forever, but without a national title, they will never surpass any of the Big 3. Like I said before, they are a Florida version of Boise State. There's a reason why Frost left for Nebraska, outside of him being loyal to his alma mater: He knew that the UCF job has a ceiling. You can't win titles there, you can barely be a top 15 program there on a regular basis. Think about it, it took UF and Miami to be train wrecks(at the same time) for UCF to even be close to relevant over the last decade. You can't count on that long term. Eventually UF will be able to buy their way to a great program, and Miami's local talent pool ensures that the program is always one solid coach away from being something. The only way UCF gets anywhere is if they sucker a major conference into taking them(There isn't one outside of the Big XII that would want them), and they keep hitting on coaches. Who knows if UCF is able to pull that off for multiple hires.

At this point In the season, everybody’s stats are padded w nonP5 teams.

I wasn’t really trying to discredit your statement as much as pointing out that this D really is doing pretty good things under Diaz.

It was doing great last year, until it played teams that mattered...so I'm just trying to cool my jets on the hype. D has been great against this schlub squads, but yeah.

Some of you might be too young to remember how tough it was to hire elite coaches when a coach left. And this was after we had won one or more NC's.

Advertisement
Merely being a diploma mill isn't enough to get you into a major conference. North Texas is HUGE, they aren't on anyone's radar to join a major conference. UCF has a lot of students, a huge alumni base, but a lot of that alumni base is more loyal to Big 3 schools, than they are UCF. UCF is a commuter school, it's a school for young professionals and working people. That's great, but it doesn't build the same kind of loyalty that a traditional, residential college does.

By the way, UCF can win from now till forever, but without a national title, they will never surpass any of the Big 3. Like I said before, they are a Florida version of Boise State. There's a reason why Frost left for Nebraska, outside of him being loyal to his alma mater: He knew that the UCF job has a ceiling. You can't win titles there, you can barely be a top 15 program there on a regular basis. Think about it, it took UF and Miami to be train wrecks(at the same time) for UCF to even be close to relevant over the last decade. You can't count on that long term. Eventually UF will be able to buy their way to a great program, and Miami's local talent pool ensures that the program is always one solid coach away from being something. The only way UCF gets anywhere is if they sucker a major conference into taking them(There isn't one outside of the Big XII that would want them), and they keep hitting on coaches. Who knows if UCF is able to pull that off for multiple hires.
I've always wondered how Nebraska could continue to be nationally competitive given a local recruiting base that is really just corn-fed white linemen and no speed. Football has changed since Nebraska was a perennial national power. I would think that a big public university in Florida would have more long-term potential. After all, for many years, UM was a commuter school and a small private one step that.

It was doing great last year, until it played teams that mattered...so I'm just trying to cool my jets on the hype. D has been great against this schlub squads, but yeah.
I get that. We’ve been burned time after time for 15+ years. Last season tho i don’t think u can blame the D for any losses. Clemson just outclassed us, and a 45% passer played much more a role in the Ls. **** they shut down vt and Nd, the 2 best teams we played in regular season.

Even LSU... look what the D was asked to... defend a short field, over and over, without a breather cause the O couldn’t get first downs. Diaz gives up chunk plays, but he always adjusts, and his aggression will sometimes get burned.

I’m cool w diaz

I agree that was no question that once Mark got fired it was over for everyone else, including Butch. That ship has sailed. I agree that Mark needs help to win the NC and local talent turning away the bags for a chance at the greatest experience of their lives -- to be a Miami Hurricane that brought back the glory. It also requires that we, the fans can turn The Rock into to new OB like we did for ND game. We need that fire for the players to rise above and take the world again.

Mark is a class guy just like Howard, so you could be right. But Howard was a tremendous coach with a unbelievable pedigree few coaches can touch and a nastiness that the jacket and pipe cover up. He left JJ a NC QB and another Heisman QB. He was to recruiting QB talent as Butch was to the rest of football team. That said, is was JJ who made us THE U. He had grudges and the team took on that personality of payback for any disrespect. JJ hated OU but his OKS teams lack the talent to do anything, At Miami he had the material to ruin the OU dynasty and cost it two NCs. He hated Lou Holtz long before that ND game, team crushed ND in Holtz first season 24-0. He gave us that famous chip we carried around on our shoulder. Mark is our horse and we need to ride him, and ride him hard.
We had that chip under Howard. They made opponents hate them with the taunting. It just continued under Jimmy. He said he would try to stop after criticism went big-time but I doubt he really did. It was even bad under Dennis....look at the 1991 Cotton Bowl.

I get that. We’ve been burned time after time for 15+ years. Last season tho i don’t think u can blame the D for any losses. Clemson just outclassed us, and a 45% passer played much more a role in the Ls. **** they shut down vt and Nd, the 2 best teams we played in regular season.

Even LSU... look what the D was asked to... defend a short field, over and over, without a breather cause the O couldn’t get first downs. Diaz gives up chunk plays, but he always adjusts, and his aggression will sometimes get burned.

I’m cool w diaz
Listen...we gave up chunk plays with JJ's defense. It's built-in to the pressure 4-3 defense, I think. Sometimes teams ran wild on us. Look at Pitt in '86.

Advertisement
Back