Richt #22 highest paid coach, worth it?

Yeah, the Asst Coaches budget, I'm sure, is high on his list of next priorities to be taken on. As it should be.

Advertisement
He's probably in that 2nd or at worst the 3rd tier of coaches

Tier 1- Saban, Urban, Jimbo, Dabo - only active national championship winners - top 5-10 recruiting classes every year on top of that.
Tier 2- Shaw, Patterson, Lincoln Riley, Dantonio, Herman, Petersen, Franklin, Harbaugh, Smart, Richt

Jury still out on Herman, Franklin, Harbaugh, and Smart to an extent but I'd say he fits into those names. That would put him top 15.

You are on the right track with your tiers, but there is no question Saban is a Tier all to himself. Frankly, before this thing at OSU, I would have put Saban Tier 1, Urban Tier 1A, then the rest. Can't picture Urban winning another championship after what happened this summer.

Here's how I would tier it right now:
Tier 1 (no explanation needed): Saban
Tier 2 (multiple chips at multiple schools, but not Saban): Urban, but not going to win another championship
Tier 3 (Congrats, you got a chip when you had a once in a generation QB): Jimbo, Dabo
Tier 4 (mixture of elite level coaches doing more with less, and good coaches, some doing less with more): Peterson, Richt, Patterson, Shaw, Franklin, Smart
Tier 5 (promising, but show me): Riley, Feunte, Frost, Herman
Tier 6 (just a coach): Gundy, Ferentz, Dantonio, Mark Stoops
CORCH: Petrino, Muschamp, Lovie Smith, Taggart, Mullett (has a chance to jump to tier 5 with a 10 win season this year), Malzahn, Harbaugh (this guy is nothing but a cult of personality)

I only did the top 25 paid from the list in the article.

If cmr keeps winning we better keep him happy here.I also aged assistant pay needs to be better as well.or we could lose them.we can't compete with bama Texas and others but we can get it to where they don't want leave except for a promotion.

Advertisement
I like. Very good. A few things:

- I might move Riley up to 4 now.
- I might move Stoops up to 4 if he wins SEC East.
- Frost has to come down to at least 6, possibly to the next level below...
- I want to move Malzahn up but have no idea where to put him...but he’s too love

This should have been it’s own thread, by the way.

• I hear you on Riley, but I need to see more than one year. Of course, by the same logic, I've probably overrated Smart. Based on consensus, it probably makes more sense to move Riley up than Smart down, so yeah, you're right.
  • Kentucky ain't winning the SEC E this year. The good ship lollipop tour ends this weekend at TAMU. They will get smoked by UGA as well. Easy schedule mirage team. Fade the **** out of them in Vegas, at least until public perception catches up with reality rather than the bullsh!t media narrative.
  • I don't blame Frost for where his team is at right now. He inherited a dumpster fire and it will take time to put out the flames.
  • Malzahn is Tier 6 at best. Anyone who oscillates so rapidly between 10 win seasons and 7 win seasons, in the absence of major NCAA sanctions, can't, by definition, be anything more than a coRch.
It is interesting conversation. Cheers

Curios why some on here say Richt is doing less with more when by any objective measure it’s not true.

He's probably in that 2nd or at worst the 3rd tier of coaches

Tier 1- Saban, Urban, Jimbo, Dabo - only active national championship winners - top 5-10 recruiting classes every year on top of that.
Tier 2- Shaw, Patterson, Lincoln Riley, Dantonio, Herman, Petersen, Franklin, Harbaugh, Smart, Richt

Jury still out on Herman, Franklin, Harbaugh, and Smart to an extent but I'd say he fits into those names. That would put him top 15.

I would drop Jimbo to Tier 2. He won as 'ship with Winston, but his record before and after Jameis is not Tier 1 elite. Dabo has a 'ship he beat Saban for, and beat Urban in two bowl games.

Herman is not Tier 2, IMO. His reputation is based on his first year at Houston. He needs to first win a Big 12 conference title to be in Tier 2. He's more like Tier 2.5. I do think he'll end up winning big at UT but hasn't yet. This week's game against Oklahoma will be interesting.

Advertisement
You are on the right track with your tiers, but there is no question Saban is a Tier all to himself. Frankly, before this thing at OSU, I would have put Saban Tier 1, Urban Tier 1A, then the rest. Can't picture Urban winning another championship after what happened this summer.

Tier 2 (multiple chips at multiple schools, but not Saban): Urban, but not going to win another championship
Tier 3 (Congrats, you got a chip when you had a once in a generation QB): Jimbo, Dabo I believe Dabo's got another title in him, Jimbo is one and done
Tier 4 (mixture of elite level coaches doing more with less, and good coaches, some doing less with more): Peterson, Richt, Patterson, Shaw, Franklin, Smart
Tier 6 (just a coach): Gundy, Ferentz, Dantonio, Mark Stoops These guys (specifically Gundy and Dantonio) get lots of credit for winning without top tier talent. That's great and all but part of being a college coach is recruiting. You don't get to play the "we don't have the talent" card when you're not doing enough to bring talent into your program.
CORCH: Petrino, Muschamp, Lovie Smith, Taggart, Mullett (has a chance to jump to tier 5 with a 10 win season this year), Malzahn, Harbaugh (this guy is nothing but a cult of personality) The game has caught up to Petrino and Malzahn's offenses, although Gus does seem to be making an effort to move his passing game into this decade. Don't get me started on Harbaugh. He's supposed to be an offensive guru (His staff has no OC) but his offenses have been mostly garbage at Michigan. The only reason Michigan has been competitive is their lights out defense. Imagine if Richt's offense was as bad as Harbaugh's? They would have flown banners in 2016.

Tier 3 (Congrats, you got a chip when you had a once in a generation QB): Jimbo, Dabo
Tier 6 (just a coach): Gundy, Ferentz, Dantonio, Mark Stoops
CORCH: Petrino, Muschamp, Lovie Smith, Taggart, Mullett (has a chance to jump to tier 5 with a 10 win season this year), Malzahn, Harbaugh (this guy is nothing but a cult of personality)

More or less agree with your analysis! I think Malzahn should be a bit higher, but other than that ----spot on!!

People are dreaming if they think an unemployed Richt didn't get the FSU job over Taggart last year. Former OC of Bobby Bowden replacing another former Bobby Bowden OC. Richt is loyal and the disloyalty of Jimbo would have been fresh in their mouths. I could see Richt making the $5 mill. Richt could have been commentating or being an OC at another program between the end of 2015 and 2017.

Advertisement
I don't know on Franklin. He does some stuff that makes you think he's a good coach then other stuff like Saturday where he coached himself out of games. I guess every coach has those moments but I'm still not there with him yet. But I do think he's a better coach than Harbaugh and Herman for sure.

Advertisement
LOL I didn't read through the whole list in great detail - but when you consider...

Dan Mullen @ $6.07M
Lovie Smith @ $5M
Will Muschamp @ $4.2M

And then the "shiny new toy" hotshot guys in their first Power 5 job who are still incomplete in their success / failure evaluation, like

Kirby Smart @ $6.6M
Tom Herman @ $5.5M
Scott Frost @ $5M
Willie Taggart @ $5M

and realize we have Richt at $4.06M - I think he is absolutely worth it. Like others said, it would be nice to see a bigger staff budget

Advertisement
Back