Revisiting Robert Knowles

Advertisement
Seems like it's his demeanor not to rock the boat. Inner workings of a team is a quite complicated dynamic...

It’s also in his best interest. Just speculation but I get the feeling Rumph was nearly not rehired back when Diaz was hired. He knows this.

That was the original plan to just have him coach dbs. It's essentially what happens already. But when cmr saw how little respect kids gave the bartender he decided he needed to have him on field as well. His recruiting talents aren't as bad as most on here think. His issue is he doesn't go into all the ****ery with kids. He goes after the kids he's told to but he don't lie to them. Mike's one of the few straight up dudes we have on the staff. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. A coaches job is to COACH...

To that, I have never understood some people's obsession with saying Rumph can't recruit when on paper on signing day, he's been pretty decent. He has missed on the elite corners down south, but then you've gotta look at where those guys went. It sure wasn't some other 6, 7, 8 win team. They headed off to Bama, UGA, OSU, etc. Basically he was losing battles for the elites when we shouldn't have even been in the conversation due to our on the field play. Some dudes just want to put it all on him and real life doesn't work that way. It isn't even like poker where you've got a **** hand and can bluff your way to the win.

I dont know about his eval skills. I know recruiting aint his thing at all either way. I think he is solid with the onfield stuff or is improving there. Im hoping his group produces and he gets a few early round selection to help improve his stock if we are keeping him moving forward.

Me personally i wouldve told him look for greener pastures last year....possibly Banda as well and grabbed 1 guy to coach DBS.

“possibly Banda as well” Banda has just as much fail as Rumph

Advertisement
It’s also in his best interest. Just speculation but I get the feeling Rumph was nearly not rehired back when Diaz was hired. He knows this.

Rumor was Rumph and Patke we’re going to be let go but an higher up questioned why Panda wasn’t in the chopping block, Mandy replied we’re all good on defensive coaches

To that, I have never understood some people's obsession with saying Rumph can't recruit when on paper on signing day, he's been pretty decent. He has missed on the elite corners down south, but then you've gotta look at where those guys went. It sure wasn't some other 6, 7, 8 win team. They headed off to Bama, UGA, OSU, etc. Basically he was losing battles for the elites when we shouldn't have even been in the conversation due to our on the field play. Some dudes just want to put it all on him and real life doesn't work that way. It isn't even like poker where you've got a **** hand and can bluff your way to the win.
People just need something to bytch about. People haven't grasped that at best nationally we are considered a second tier team. They feel because we're local to any kid we should get who we want. Reality is those kids shouldn't even be in the discussion to come here and ONLY are because of the local ties. But when you can literally go anywhere in the country that you want then you better be able to provide something more. Especially when basically all elite schools have incentives. On top of that he walks to the beat of the drum. Is what it is with people. If he goes somewhere else and they see him produce then the whole narrative will change to where was that when he was here. Lol

Rumor was Rumph and Patke we’re going to be let go but an higher up questioned why Panda wasn’t in the chopping block, Mandy replied we’re all good on defensive coaches
That wasn't when Mandy was first hired. That was this off-season. Don't know about patke being involved in that. Never heard that at all. But I know Mike was told he was going to be let go. Than for some reason that changed. I know he has several people on the board who are find of him. Don't know if they had to do with that or not though. Think it was more Mandy saying he'd have to admit to a bigger problem then just the offense. Internally he put all the blame on Enos and his people. Getting rid of patke and Mike would be him telling the board the problems are bigger. Besides patke is his people so I really doubt he was involved in that.

That wasn't when Mandy was first hired. That was this off-season. Don't know about patke being involved in that. Never heard that at all. But I know Mike was told he was going to be let go. Than for some reason that changed. I know he has several people on the board who are find of him. Don't know if they had to do with that or not though. Think it was more Mandy saying he'd have to admit to a bigger problem then just the offense. Internally he put all the blame on Enos and his people. Getting rid of patke and Mike would be him telling the board the problems are bigger. Besides patke is his people so I really doubt he was involved in that.

It’s Manny not Mandy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That was the original plan to just have him coach dbs. It's essentially what happens already. But when cmr saw how little respect kids gave the bartender he decided he needed to have him on field as well. His recruiting talents aren't as bad as most on here think. His issue is he doesn't go into all the ****ery with kids. He goes after the kids he's told to but he don't lie to them. Mike's one of the few straight up dudes we have on the staff. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. A coaches job is to COACH...

AND RECRUIT.

Dont forget that important part. Cant coach up a **** to be much more than a ****. Also if we have issues at cb this year and it comes a point where we hear about "numbers" there...the pitchforks gonna come out as they already went on record saying they love their room and this is the bst cb room they have had.

Reruiting is about evals and selling. You can be a straight shooter all u want but u have to be able to sell that kid im some way.. To me ..Just have your board in order, know how to read kids to see where you stand, work tough on the cycle REGARDLESS if they told you they dont want the kid with communication.

The tell tale sign of Mike Rumph was him promoting Marco Wilson's commitment....when everyone who followed recruiting knew Marco wasnt coming here. They have a bad read on kids. Every year were scrambling in dec/jan for a cb..and LUCKILY he has landed 1 the last 2 classes.

My man just off head ...we have gotten beaten out by UCF and FSU for dbs Those arent the current elites.

Advertisement
AND RECRUIT.

Dont forget that important part. Cant coach up a **** to be much more than a ****. Also if we have issues at cb this year and it comes a point where we hear about "numbers" there...the pitchforks gonna come out as they already went on record saying they love their room and this is the bst cb room they have had.

Reruiting is about evals and selling. You can be a straight shooter all u want but u have to be able to sell that kid im some way.. To me ..Just have your board in order, know how to read kids to see where you stand, work tough on the cycle REGARDLESS if they told you they dont want the kid with communication.

The tell tale sign of Mike Rumph was him promoting Marco Wilson's commitment....when everyone who followed recruiting knew Marco wasnt coming here. They have a bad read on kids. Every year were scrambling in dec/jan for a cb..and LUCKILY he has landed 1 the last 2 classes.
You are way off on your read then. #1 I talked with him about Marco. He was promoting his commitment because of the relationship he has with the family. That's the only reason he did that. Had zero to do with him coming here. The kid had said weeks before we weren't in it and Chad said months before it ain't happening. Far as recruiting being an important part of the job I'd strongly disagree. Recruiting is simply a big product of success. Whether people wanna hear it or not that's the main ingredient to recruiting beyond the incentives. Is your team winning and is your unit a key piece in those wins. Guess what,this team ain't winning. Hasn't been winning in **** near as long as these kids been alive except an occasional exception. That ain't on your cb coach. That's on everyone. He's not a wellness by far on any staff that has the bartender as a CO DC,BLAKER BAKER, & PATTY CAKE. none of those dudes should be here in the capacity they in. Blake should have an on field role. But not as a DC. The other two **** no. Ephraim should be special teams at best and patke should be support staff at full back. Brother you know your football so this always confuses me. It's like you got some issue with him beyond the game. I know for fact because Mike is a friend of mine some of the kids he's wanted to go after. Who he's evaluated and each time been gave an excuse my Mandy directly why they have to be put on the back of the page. Whether it's the budget and what it would cost to recruit these kids. Whether it's where they're located or most often what kids are available locally. Mandy prioritizes local kids to the extent he neglects alot of kids nationally who show REAL INTEREST. Yes Mandy is getting better with giving a lil more attention to national kids. But he'll NEVER prioritize those kids like he does locals. So when people complain saying we didn't get this local kid or that local kid it's gotta be understood that kid was long shot to begin... Far as the other point I just read about losing battles to fsu and ucf and what that means. Well #1 ucf in this climate we currently live in, they're far more relevant than us. They also have the same argument we have about being a local school to the same kids. Yes they're not as close for most and their city isn't anywhere near what ours is. But it's about being close to home. Not being able to go to the city. Honestly most real college towns offer more to a kid that they're interested in then what the city of Miami offers. No doubt we got bad ******* beautiful beaches etc. But you think city kids interested in beaches like that... far as fspoo they got the semi local chip AND most off they offer legit kids INCENTIVES... look at Mike from a different perspective and I'm curious how you see it.

You are way off on your read then. #1 I talked with him about Marco. He was promoting his commitment because of the relationship he has with the family. That's the only reason he did that. Had zero to do with him coming here. The kid had said weeks before we weren't in it and Chad said months before it ain't happening. Far as recruiting being an important part of the job I'd strongly disagree. Recruiting is simply a big product of success. Whether people wanna hear it or not that's the main ingredient to recruiting beyond the incentives. Is your team winning and is your unit a key piece in those wins. Guess what,this team ain't winning. Hasn't been winning in **** near as long as these kids been alive except an occasional exception. That ain't on your cb coach. That's on everyone. He's not a wellness by far on any staff that has the bartender as a CO DC,BLAKER BAKER, & PATTY CAKE. none of those dudes should be here in the capacity they in. Blake should have an on field role. But not as a DC. The other two **** no. Ephraim should be special teams at best and patke should be support staff at full back. Brother you know your football so this always confuses me. It's like you got some issue with him beyond the game. I know for fact because Mike is a friend of mine some of the kids he's wanted to go after. Who he's evaluated and each time been gave an excuse my Mandy directly why they have to be put on the back of the page. Whether it's the budget and what it would cost to recruit these kids. Whether it's where they're located or most often what kids are available locally. Mandy prioritizes local kids to the extent he neglects alot of kids nationally who show REAL INTEREST. Yes Mandy is getting better with giving a lil more attention to national kids. But he'll NEVER prioritize those kids like he does locals. So when people complain saying we didn't get this local kid or that local kid it's gotta be understood that kid was long shot to begin... Far as the other point I just read about losing battles to fsu and ucf and what that means. Well #1 ucf in this climate we currently live in, they're far more relevant than us. They also have the same argument we have about being a local school to the same kids. Yes they're not as close for most and their city isn't anywhere near what ours is. But it's about being close to home. Not being able to go to the city. Honestly most real college towns offer more to a kid that they're interested in then what the city of Miami offers. No doubt we got bad ******* beautiful beaches etc. But you think city kids interested in beaches like that... far as fspoo they got the semi local chip AND most off they offer legit kids INCENTIVES... look at Mike from a different perspective and I'm curious how you see it.
couldn't agree more.

I thought Knowles would be good. He was not good. His limitations athletically, which are clear in retrospect when looking at testing numbers, prevented him from ever being a true Miami-caliber safety.

But we need to stop using his name as a slur on this board. The man stayed five years, never quit, took a ton of crap from the fanbase and worked himself into a serviceable safety. Rewatching the FSU game, I had forgotten how well he played.

There are plenty of busts and quitters who can be used as shorthand for a "bad Miami player." Knowles should never again be mentioned with those guys. He was a true Cane who didn't quit and earned his scholarship.

nope! He was absolute trash & should’ve been shown the door after year 2.

he did not play well vs FSU or any team...that is a LIE.

Advertisement
Back