Revisiting Robert Knowles

-1.) You dont promote a kid you know aint coming here and you know whatsort of affect the kid has within the fan base regardless of your relationship there.

I put more emphasis on the recruiting portion than most do. Winning is essentially very important....BUTTTTT there are teams that arent winning that are still able to recruit at a high clip or atleast fill their needs...especially a position where locally is grown on trees. Clemson got the ball really rolling on the recruiting front before really winning. I know they did it with some bags as well...but we are at a clear ADVANTAGE recruiting wise than most colleges..just flat out on location.

-Again i have no issue with Rumph at all...i just call it like it is...and he is low hanging fruit since EVERY recruiting cycle its pretty much the same issue

- Making excuses about the climate and relevancy aside...we shouldnt get beat out by UCF for a position of need. If you guys are waving the flag to them then i guess we definately see it at different levels. FSU i get it...They always will be able to recruit. UCF....naw brah.

Any talk on rumph doesnt have to be a deflection to Banda or other coaches though...They can get the smoke in their own threads.
Agree to disagree brother. I'm tired of giving ALL THE STAFF excuses. But when you know first hand the obstacles some face you gotta give it merit.

Advertisement
This thread was supposed to be about Knowles, lol. But running with the current discussion, the real issue is that Manny won't let go of the defense and bring in a DC who can run that side of the ball. It was Richt's fatal flaw as a HC, and we're seeing a repeat. Because any qualified DC (Baker isn't qualified) would step in and replace Patke instantaneously, and then look at replacing one or more of Stroud, Banda and Rumph to install his defense.

Regarding Rumph specifically, he seems to be a decent developmental coach, but I agree with Geta that he's a mediocre recruiter. What's his game plan when he puts his board together? Young was landed because of Richt, Bandy and Blades were coming regardless. He did a little work with Couch, I suppose. But he had to pull Williams and Dunson out of his *** last minute. That's lucky, not good. And now we're back to holding out for Marshall while Kevin Knowles and Omarion Cooper slip away. So Rumph's not the worst problem to fix, IMO, but I'm sure there are 20 better DB coaches out there.

Banda gets a lot of **** for being a bartender and not deserving the position coach job when he came here. Rightfully so. But he seems to have put in the work with landing Tae, and that position group should be stout this year. So it's hard not to like what he's got right now. Maybe he's finally growing into the role? I wanted him replaced in 2018. Now I want to get some ROI out of our investment.

Dee, you have a lot of reasons to be angry from last season. But how do you feel about how Manny handled the offense during the off season? Are you getting your faith back?

Also, do you see Manny making moves on defense in the 2020-2021 offseason? One could make a strong argument that even if coaching changes are required on the defensive side of the ball, you wait until Lashlee has established himself on offense to make those moves, so you maintain at least some continuity with the team.

I thought Knowles would be good. He was not good. His limitations athletically, which are clear in retrospect when looking at testing numbers, prevented him from ever being a true Miami-caliber safety.

But we need to stop using his name as a slur on this board. The man stayed five years, never quit, took a ton of crap from the fanbase and worked himself into a serviceable safety. Rewatching the FSU game, I had forgotten how well he played.

There are plenty of busts and quitters who can be used as shorthand for a "bad Miami player." Knowles should never again be mentioned with those guys. He was a true Cane who didn't quit and earned his scholarship.
The 19 FSU game I agree he play serviceably AFTER Bubba went down. In 18, had it not been for the best play in UM FSU history, Knowles cost UM the game. He blew coverage on the go ahead TD and missed big tackles. Knowles was easily one of the worst UM safeties the past 40 years. Your eval was way off my man. Learn and move on.

Advertisement
-1.) You dont promote a kid you know aint coming here and you know whatsort of affect the kid has within the fan base regardless of your relationship there.

Clemson got ball rollin' with bags I put more emphasis on the recruiting portion than most do. Winning is essentially very important....BUTTTTT there are teams that arent winning that are still able to recruit at a high clip or atleast fill their needs...especially a position where locally is grown on trees. Clemson got the ball really rolling on the recruiting front before really winning. I know they did it with some bags as well...but we are at a clear ADVANTAGE recruiting wise than most colleges..just flat out on location.

-Again i have no issue with Rumph at all...i just call it like it is...and he is low hanging fruit since EVERY recruiting cycle its pretty much the same issue

- Making excuses about the climate and relevancy aside...we shouldnt get beat out by UCF for a position of need. If you guys are waving the flag to them then i guess we definately see it at different levels. FSU i get it...They always will be able to recruit. UCF....naw brah.

Any talk on rumph doesnt have to be a deflection to Banda or other coaches though...They can get the smoke in their own threads.

I actually know of one the Clemson's South FL handlers, they've been baggin' heavy since Shannon was our HC, so outside of the bag game theres was nothing special about Clemson recruiting back then

What my nephew chose to do here(which by the way still was an accomplishment someone like you will never amount to)has nothing to do with me. I played here all my years and started 3 of them. Won't get into what I accomplished here again cause it's not relevant. You lames talk about a kid quitting when you have no clue how ****ed the situation has been here on the inside and how toxic it was at the time. Someone like you will just let someone play you and lie to your face over and over and just keep accepting it. Options at that point are never demand anything out of yourself and accept the situation or fvck up your coach and destroy any prayer of a future. Smh people so blinded by lies that reality don't mean ****. To stay here and keep fighting your own coaches is a waste of everyones time and it's him giving up on his future. Y'all just don't give a fvck about a kids future. You care about is future. Well ******* long as staffs like these and fans like y'all are here we ain't got no future anymore. So good luck with that.

He quit in October. He missed nearly half a season and burned a year of eligibility while healthy. He was off the team when the opportunity to play under a new staff happened. He didn't sign with anyone in December or February as available scholarships dried up. He would have missed spring practice at his new school and ended up signing with Illinois at the end of April.

However toxic the situation the rest of his team, even the offensive guy saddled with the same coaches, stuck it out and finished the season. They are now in a far better position than Hightower for 2020 and going forward.

Why was it better for him to leave than stay then weigh his options?

Advertisement
Dee, you have a lot of reasons to be angry from last season. But how do you feel about how Manny handled the offense during the off season? Are you getting your faith back?

Also, do you see Manny making moves on defense in the 2020-2021 offseason? One could make a strong argument that even if coaching changes are required on the defensive side of the ball, you wait until Lashlee has established himself on offense to make those moves, so you maintain at least some continuity with the team.
He handled the off-season how he had to. I would've been impressed if he would've got rid of a few people on the defensive side. Far as anger most of those people ain't here no more. I just recognize people for who they are. I don't need to hear the lies people promote for whatever reason. People always show they true colors if you sit back and watch. Personally I don't fvck with people who tell you one thing and show u another. Lashlee although he's not some all world hire, much like Mandy his system will keep the offense relevant so long as the line holds up. When your competition is the girls YMCA weekly how much do you really gotta expect out of each side of the ball.

I thought Knowles would be good. He was not good. His limitations athletically, which are clear in retrospect when looking at testing numbers, prevented him from ever being a true Miami-caliber safety.

But we need to stop using his name as a slur on this board. The man stayed five years, never quit, took a ton of crap from the fanbase and worked himself into a serviceable safety. Rewatching the FSU game, I had forgotten how well he played.

There are plenty of busts and quitters who can be used as shorthand for a "bad Miami player." Knowles should never again be mentioned with those guys. He was a true Cane who didn't quit and earned his scholarship.
Agreed 100%. Never bash a guy for working hard, keeping himself out of trouble, and representing the program well. Not being good enough, hey it happens. Save the vitriol for the quitters and guys that loaf.

When you have guys that show a tiny spark of promise their freshman year's and then use that good will to coast for the next 2 years then leave the second they're eligible to become nothing more than an UDFA, yea... Robert Knowles is good in my book. The Bandy's of this world should be the real slur around here.

Advertisement
What my nephew chose to do here(which by the way still was an accomplishment someone like you will never amount to)has nothing to do with me. I played here all my years and started 3 of them. Won't get into what I accomplished here again cause it's not relevant. You lames talk about a kid quitting when you have no clue how ****ed the situation has been here on the inside and how toxic it was at the time. Someone like you will just let someone play you and lie to your face over and over and just keep accepting it. Options at that point are never demand anything out of yourself and accept the situation or fvck up your coach and destroy any prayer of a future. Smh people so blinded by lies that reality don't mean ****. To stay here and keep fighting your own coaches is a waste of everyones time and it's him giving up on his future. Y'all just don't give a fvck about a kids future. You care about is future. Well ******* long as staffs like these and fans like y'all are here we ain't got no future anymore. So good luck with that.

based on your experience as a player vs what you saw your nephew experience, where are the biggest areas this staff needs to improve?

based on your experience as a player vs what you saw your nephew experience, where are the biggest areas this staff needs to improve?
Honestly that would take far too long to explain. From top to bottom, the staff we employ,the evaluations,the development. The work ethic of the kids,priorities,relations,pride. For us we took pride in stomping the people across from us into submission. We loved the look pregame you'd see in teams eyes when they knew they were gonna get mollywhopped before the whistle even blew. We got our joy in knowing all our work we put in gave us no question the outcome we were gonna get. Seems that's all dead and gone

He handled the off-season how he had to. I would've been impressed if he would've got rid of a few people on the defensive side. Far as anger most of those people ain't here no more. I just recognize people for who they are. I don't need to hear the lies people promote for whatever reason. People always show they true colors if you sit back and watch. Personally I don't fvck with people who tell you one thing and show u another. Lashlee although he's not some all world hire, much like Mandy his system will keep the offense relevant so long as the line holds up. When your competition is the girls YMCA weekly how much do you really gotta expect out of each side of the ball.

I feel the same. My hope is that our weak schedule helps us win 10+ that then enables us to land better recruits and kicks off a virtual cycle. Maybe these coaches can grow into their roles even if they were too raw when hired.

Advertisement
When you have guys that show a tiny spark of promise their freshman year's and then use that good will to coast for the next 2 years then leave the second they're eligible to become nothing more than an UDFA, yea... Robert Knowles is good in my book. The Bandy's of this world should be the real slur around here.

Great highlight. Gotta love the coaches that keep the freshman down. Coaching a college freshman has got to be turbulent lol.

I feel the same. My hope is that our weak schedule helps us win 10+ that then enables us to land better recruits and kicks off a virtual cycle. Maybe these coaches can grow into their roles even if they were too raw when hired.
It's a personal choice. I get it. You're a glass is half full guy rather than a what the fvck I can't get no water in my glass too.

Advertisement
Back