Remember when Manny was too stubborn?

I didn’t get the “Manny is never going to get rid of Baker. They’re best friends” take. What exactly were people basing that on? Al Golden wouldn’t fire D’Onofrio so no Miami coach ever will fire a colleague? There was absolutely zero evidence that suggested Manny and Baker were somehow attached at the hip.
And yet Baker is still here.

Advertisement
I think it stemmed from the fact that they're supposedly best friends in coaching, and he was Manny's hand-picked guy to run HIS scheme.

Baker did a long-form interview on a podcast where he talked about his coaching journey and how he's close with Manny.
Baker was a Safeties coach under Manny at LTU for one season. When Manny took the Mississippi State DC job in 2015, Baker got promoted to DC at Louisiana Tech. They didn’t coach together again until Manny got the head coach job here in 2019. He definitely cut his teeth under Diaz but they’re hardly long time associates.

Baker was a Safeties coach under Manny at LTU for one season. When Manny took the Mississippi State DC job in 2015, Baker got promoted to DC at Louisiana Tech. They didn’t coach together again until Manny got the head coach job here in 2019. He definitely cut his teeth under Diaz but they’re hardly long time associates.

I think Manny got him the GA job at Texas.

Manny might've even been in his wedding.

I can't remember all the details, but the podcast interview made it seem like they were really good friends.

Edit:

Here's the interview:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Never did I, he always made adjustments every single season he’s been here whether it’s been scheme tweaks or staff changes.

Whether to be seen he actually succeeds at the end of it but unlike Golden and Richt he’s doing every single positive thing he can do to make it here
Still running the same sh1tty scheme though.....I think Taylor just ran for another 12 yards

I think people are a bit shook from the 'Golden' days. I, admittedly, never thought Manny would give the defense to anyone else, especially with his first hires on defense. It takes a alot to look yourself in the mirror and decide to seek help to make improvements. Props to CMD

Now get Blake Baker TF outta here

I think Manny got him the GA job at Texas.

Manny might've even been in his wedding.

I can't remember all the details, but the podcast interview made it seem like they were really good friends.

Edit:

Here's the interview:

There’s definitely a friendly relationship between the two but it’s not some long time working relationship like Golden and D’Onofrio had where they worked together for years at multiple stops.

Advertisement
There’s definitely a friendly relationship between the two but it’s not some long time working relationship like Golden and D’Onofrio had where they worked together for years at multiple stops.

as Whodini once said -- Friends...how many of us have them?

At the end of the day, this business(like all others) is about results. Baker just wasnt' ready for this job...

Baker has been hired by or worked under manny 3 times, Texas, LT and Miami, since 2010. Manny is responsible single for about 3/4 of bakers career

There’s been multiple reports that he is out. Not official yet but more than one source is reporting this. Keep up.
Why would the rumph announcement already be made but they are waiting on baker? Makes no sense unless he’s trying to let baker off easy and save face, which is Busch league bs, or he’s staying.

I’m good with well-mannered Mopes like @Dwinstitles. He’s in here complimenting the TRob hire and made a video I still need to check out. The issue is with the constant thread ruining extreme mongoloid mopes.
Correct.

Huge difference between "oh god oh god we are all doomed" (que chicken littles) and being clear eyed about a legitimate add, but also where are those remaining areas that can (and must) improve.

A great recent example is Justice-one of last year's best hires. The OL made a measureable improvement.

With that said, it is wholly divorced from the question "are they good enough" for consistent ACCCD and ACCCG play? No they are not.

If Justice continues to perform in the same manner as he already has, given time (if he gets it) will get the OL unit to where it needs to be. The formula everywhere in life is the same: Recruit, Train, Retain, Repeat.

I suspect we'll see the same trajectory with Robb and secondary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Correct.

Huge difference between "oh god oh god we are all doomed" (que chicken littles) and being clear eyed about a legitimate add, but also where are those remaining areas that can (and must) improve.
Yessir, Exalted Empirical One. Plenty of legit criticism and doubts and places to point out where improvements are needed. Not everything sucks on one side and not everything is defensible on the other side.

Advertisement
Yessir, Exalted Empirical One. Plenty of legit criticism and doubts and places to point out where improvements are needed. Not everything sucks on one side and not everything is defensible on the other side.
Exactly. There's a difference between a flaw/misstep and a fireable offense, and a gulf between identifying the mistakes + searching for improvement and just constantly calling for heads.

Exactly. There's a difference between a flaw/misstep and a fireable offense, and a gulf between identifying the mistakes + searching for improvement and just constantly calling for heads.
I’m happy to see some posters in here who have been critical of Manny also giving him credit today. This is how it should be. And likewise, people who defend him regardless of what happens should be willing to criticize appropriately and not feel like they’re being disloyal. It should be about this U not a particular coach.

Never did I, he always made adjustments every single season he’s been here whether it’s been scheme tweaks or staff changes.

Whether to be seen he actually succeeds at the end of it but unlike Golden and Richt he’s doing every single positive thing he can do to make it here
He hasn't hired a new DC yet?

manny is a smart guy. Miami, although is no bama necessarily is still a program at the top tier of the sport. You don't get a super long leash and if you fail here you don't get a chance at anything better probably the rest of your career. Changes are necessary every year and he's definitely doing the right things to make it happen

we will only continue to get better with him. You literally can't fail with this kind of mixup and array of awesome hires each and every offseason along with the portal

Advertisement
Back