Remember when Manny was too stubborn?

Goldens 2012 class had 24 THREE STAR PLAYERS

TWENTY FOUR

Of course Golden was going to get some high level blue chippers, but you and I could have been coaching here and gotten Duke on board.

Who do you think grabs these transfers? You don’t think Manny has a major role in that department

You and I can disagree on the matter which is fine but at least we can discuss it like normal humans beings unlike a majority of this board

It’s always a pleasure to discuss our disagreements. Lol. It’s always going to be mutual respect. The beauty of a fan; we’ll agree on somethings (like we have), and we’ll disagree on somethings (like we have), but it will always be a mutual respect. If we can get this board to be like that w/o the name calling, low blows, etc. this place would be even better.

But yeah, we’ll agree to disagree. Lol. I wanna see the momentum carry to ‘22. We need 3 great classes to build something.

Advertisement
No offense, but you're engaged in a patently absurd argument.

Diaz never coached a single game at Temple. You're trying to construct some argument about Temple Head Coaches which is suspect in credibility to begin with, then use it to paint Diaz as a credible 'G5 head coach' hire. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Diaz was the DC from a failed staff at Miami. The second one we've hired at Miami in the last 4 bad head coach hires. The entire point of our hiring him as you describe it (save money by holding the staph together) is premised on him being the DC from the failed staph.

So in your opinion, there's absolutely no difference between Diaz & Shannon, since both were hired from "failed" staffs, right? Talk about absurd. I wasn't implying that him becoming the HC @ Temple was the main factor that weighed in their decision to promote him to HC, but at the very minimum it provides additional validation, because as I've tried to tell you repeatedly, Temple as a program identifies & hires future P5 HCs at one of the highest rates in G5. This is important because as a practical fan I realize the biggest pool of realistic candidates for this program exists in the G5.

And your 'fact' regarding Temple is bizarre in this context. Not only because it's irrelevant to Manny, who never coached there, but because you present it as if being a Temple coach is some causal and inscrutable variable. No one hires a coach without examining them and their body of work. Since Manny never coached at Temple, we know for sure no one did that in respect of his body of work at Temple. If there was any logic to his hiring, it was based on his DC work at UM and prior, or just he's cheap, though I contend that's an excuse, not a rationale. You sound like you think hiring a coach is some sort of scratch-off lottery game where all the AD knows is what program their last contract was with. (Did Manny even get a single payroll check at Temple?)

You also state 'The likelihood that Diaz would've failed at Temple, and not received a P5 HC job, was lower than him one day receiving one.' Do you really believe that's an explanation for his hiring at Miami? Do you think the job of making a hiring decision for head coach at Miami is to look at someone at a G5 program and conclude that if there's a decent chance they won't fail where they are and may become a P5 HC one day, that that means we should hire them?

The only 'context' needed around Manny's hiring is that it was a terrible, rushed, panic decision by an incompetent and unprepared AD and BOT. He may end up figuring it out and becoming a good HC. I sure hope he does. But there isn't anything that's going to make the process around his hire look competent in retrospect. It wasn't competent.

This is spoken like someone who is attempting to analyze the situation from the perspective of a delusional fan, and not someone who is actually tasked with making decisions in the face of SIGNIFICANT constraints & limitations. I know as someone who is a political ideologue, it is very difficult for you to wrap your mind around spending controls, but without instituting them in CFB, the chasm between this program and the dominant ones will only continue to grow, and that's going to happen irrespective of who's HC or AD. The sheer notion and expectation that this program should figure out a way to somehow play Moneyball in this current CFB era, is to put it bluntly insane. But I guess you have to be a little insane to post on this forum 20K times.

Talk about assuming your conclusions. If you start with the premise a search would have been meaningless and symbolic, then sure, it would be meaningless and symbolic. Just one more reason to fire the AD, I guess. Searches are not supposed to be meaningless and symbolic. Especially when your 'preferred' candidate isn't compelling and at best is marginally qualified for consideration for the role. We'd never hire Manny if his dad wasn't Mayor of Miami and friends with members of the BOT. Intredasting that Flake James also hired the son of a booster to be HC of the baseball team. Trend?

You're not understanding. The reason why the HC search would've been meaningless & symbolic, is because the options for this program are always going to be limited. Therefore the integrity of the search has already been undermined from the onset. A true search would try to exhaust and be open to ALL possibilities & options.

Oh, and you're 'search committees are expensive' argument is idiotic. The retained search in CFB costs $200 grand give or take. We really saved a lot avoiding a search, only to pay Temple $4 mm to buyout the contract of the guy they just hired.

Firing staffs? Manny fired the offensive staff, and hired Enos and others, and fired them too! A year later! Because Manny wasn't prepared for the job. Hiring unprepared people costs more, generally, not less. Only fools fail to see that. Buying out the next HC? Paying someone else more than Diaz? What are you even talking about? You're making up scenarios to try to sound smart, but you're not sounding smart. You sound like you're at a loss to defend your point.

I was taking into account the $ that was spent on the search committee before Richt was hired as well. If I am not mistaken it was over $1 mil. Firing staffs is not something only young & inexperienced HCs do. How much staff turnover has Orgeron had over the yrs @ LSU? There are no guarantees or sure things in CFB, all you can do is try to maximize the probability & likelihood of an event happening. His last yr as DC in 18', he fielded a top 3 Defense, so the chances of him having to fire his defensive staff was low. I'm sure that factored into their decision making process when they chose to promote him to HC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back