Remember when Manny was too stubborn?

Let’s not forget he did just about the same thing with the baseball program. DiMare at least looks like he is putting together a more talented team, but he hired a coach from a program that missed the CWS in back to back seasons, the first time they missed the CWS in 40+ years. Whether DiMare can stop over managing and get a fundamentally sound team to match the talent and class rankings is tbd.

Thank you.

When it comes to Blake, I’m not just referring to Manny. He’s the AD! Meaning Football, Basketball, Baseball, and any other intercollegiate sport that reps The U. The money makers; he’s failed at. If he wants to be known for “building champions” via the golf & tennis programs, then get him the FOH.

Advertisement
Bro...again jimbo was apart of a failed regime whose lack talent acquisition on offense being a big part of that decline..same with Dabo. U bring up saban..again that’s skewed point because I can point to multiple guys from under sabans tree who ain’t worth ****..

so whatever formula u wanna use really there is no guarantee..there have been programs with more resources then us prove this to be the true. this thinking has never ever been a thing in reality. You lay out a outline of what u want, get that guy and hopefully he can guide the ship..now you talk about lazy, tryna recreate success from another program by hiring a underling is as lazy as it can get. You see at the NFL level also. By this theory Ole Goat never sees success after Clev.

now like I said before, the Blakey convo and manny convo can be and are mutually exclusive. The process of how manny got here doesn’t doesn’t guarantee he’s gonna fail. But if he is successful it also doesn’t mean Blakey is a good AD

Simple ? since u continue to tap dance around the main point like U’re Sammy Davis in his prime;

Was Jimbo a top 10 recruiter in the nation while at FSU or nah? Did Jimbo have a NCAA title prior to coming to FSU or nah? Simple answer; don’t need a dissertation.

Thank you.

When it comes to Blake, I’m not just referring to Manny. He’s the AD! Meaning Football, Basketball, Baseball, and any other intercollegiate sport that reps The U. The money makers; he’s failed at. If he wants to be known for “building champions” via the golf & tennis programs, then get him the FOH.
Yessir. People ***** about the baseball program being at a disadvantage because we are a private school. Not wrong. However, BJ has seen what Vanderbilt was able to do by creating an endowment for baseball scholarships. They have all of our problems but with no natural recruiting base and have won two titles in the last few years. He has had YEARS to build this up, as well as facility improvements that were needed. He did the latter but to my knowledge hasn’t done a **** thing for the former.

that’s not an equal comparison bc every team FIU plays the talent is going to either be equal or better. 90% of the teams MiamI play in this weak conference has less talent than Miami... any time Manny plays a team with better talent or comparable talent, even if the opposing team is still less talented overall, he loses. What win does Manny have that can compare to Butchs FIU team beating his Miami team?

The guy lost to freaking Jacksonville State

Advertisement
Also why is there still a narrative that Manny can’t recruit

We just had our entire class committed before the season even began after going 6-7. We have landed bunch of high level transfers. The guy has perfected using social media in our advantage, we just landed 2 Top 15 recruits in the nation, etc

We just had our entire class committed before the season even began after going 6-7. We have landed bunch of high level transfers. The guy has perfected using social media in our advantage, we just landed 2 Top 15 recruits in the nation, etc
Because posters say “I hate Manny” using different words.... if only it was clever, things would be more fun here....

I don’t think some are getting the argument. One guy is saying I’m defending manny and another couple guys are defending manny to me. Manny should’ve went to temple and earned this job or stayed , interviewed for the job and waited the process out. But he played Blake like a violin. Blake got out of a horrible situation with richt ,with 15-20 million left on the hook and richt just walked away. The ultimate get out of jail card. What does Blake do ? Walks down the hall and hires the dc a few hours later, then pays four million to Temple. No calls , no interviews , no reaching out to coaches elsewhere.

Now if you think that’s ok and defend that we just have to end the discussion. That goes for anyone else. There’s no defending that.

Bro, this whole notion that Manny was a lazy hire needs to end. Immediately. If you or anyone for that matter thinks about it logically, if will be made clear to you why he wasn't. The university knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they hired him. As was the case multiple times during the last 20 yrs, they ended up hiring the safest & cheapest option possible.

1.) Even with paying a 4 million buyout to Temple, hiring Manny was by far the cheapest option at the time, because it meant not only keeping the same Defensive philosophy in tact, but also the entire Defensive staff with the exception of Baker. If they didn't hire Manny, the university would've had to fire staffs on both sides of the ball, in addition to buying out the next HCs current contract. This forum has a love-hate relationship with Cristobal, but what was his buyout at the time @ UO? In case you forgot it was in the ballpark of 10 mil. So the pt that I'm trying to make is the reason why there wasn't a thorough HC search, is because the budget constraints ended up limiting the options. The University has always known that Blake James does not possess the best football acumen, that is why before Richt was hired they allowed him to pay top dollar for a search committee. Whether you perceive Richt's tenure as a success or failure, If the University didn't hire his successor from his old staff, it essentially would have meant the money that was spent on his search was also wasted.

2.) Regardless of what influential boosters have told you about their willingness to pay top dollar for a HC & staff, after the last 20 yrs none of these individuals have earned the benefit of the doubt. Time & time again during the last 20 yrs, this university has chosen to make bargain bin hires when it comes to its football program. These individuals are trying to control the narrative, that this University has resources, and a willingness to spend. The problem is the facts of the situation just don't support their ridiculous claims. That in of itself is a much bigger issue for this program, than Blake James's perceived incompetence. So you are right when you say that Manny is not the disease but a mere symptom. But either is Blake James. Its high time this delusional fanbase accept that reality, so they can finally begin to target their frustration at the right place.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bro, this whole notion that Manny was a lazy hire needs to end. Immediately. If you or anyone for that matter thinks about it logically, if will be made clear to you why he wasn't. The university knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they hired him. As was the case multiple times during the last 20 yrs, they ended up hiring the safest & cheapest option possible.

1.) Even with paying a 4 million buyout to Temple, hiring Manny was by far the cheapest option at the time, because it meant not only keeping the same Defensive philosophy in tact, but also the entire Defensive staff with the exception of Baker. If they didn't hire Manny, the university would've had to fire staffs on both sides of the ball, in addition to buying out the next HCs current contract. This forum has a love-hate relationship with Cristobal, but what was his buyout at the time @ UO? In case you forgot it was in the ballpark of 10 mil. So the pt that I'm trying to make is that the reason why there wasn't a thorough HC search, is because the budget constraints ended up limiting the options. The University has always known that Blake James does not possess the best football acumen, that is why before Richt was hired they allowed him to pay top dollar for a search committee. Whether you perceive Richts tenure as a success or failure, If the University didn't make the next hire from his staff, it would essentially mean the money that was spent on his search was also wasted.

2.) Regardless of what influential boosters have told you about their willingness to pay top dollar for a HC & staff, after the last 20 yrs none of these individuals have earned the benefit of the doubt. Time & time again during the last 20 yrs, this university has chosen to make bargain bin hires when it comes to its football program. These individuals are trying to control the narrative, that this University has resources, and a willingness to spend. The problem is the facts of the situation just don't support their ridiculous claim. That in of itself is a much bigger issue for this program, than Blake James's perceived incompetence. So you are right when you say that Manny is not the disease but a mere symptom. But either is Blake James. Its high time this delusional fanbase accept that reality, so they can finally begin to target their frustration at the right place.

Well thought out post. You are right. There are a multitude of ways the hire could have gone, sure, but the truth of the matter (supported by history) is the school took a known quantity, who had a bunch of really good years at the school to that point, and took him at arguably a discount.

It's a private school remember... there isn't some hiring criteria or transparency required. They could give a **** less, I am sure. I am also so tired of hearing about it.

Year one, he got his **** packed in. Made some changes.
Year 2, did pretty well, still underperformed. Made more changes.
Year 3, lets see. Trajectory to this point pushes up even further.

I know the cribby's of CIS and the FMD crew (**** Manny Diaz) wanted Mario or Butch or any of these names with history to the program, on a second go around, but Richt as a big time college coach coming to Miami should ALWAYS be viewed as an outlier to traditional UM coach hiring.

It has always been a diamond in the rough, or one with limited success elsewhere. Go down the ******* list for **** sake:
Howard- Coordinator and 1 yr as a NFL HC before being ****canned and sent to the fins as an OC
Jimmy- Coached at Oklahoma St, limited success, still lost 4 games a year there
Erickson- HC of no name west coast schools until Miami
Butch- NFL Coordinator before Miami
Coker- You know the drill
Shannon- Same deal
Golden- Same deal, but pedo
Richt- ONLY OUTLIER
Manny- Same deal

There will never been another Richt here, it will always be a young hire, and to be honest, I will be fine with that. This year for Manny is make or break. Its 10 wins or bust, thats for sure. But please stop with the crybaby **** over coaching search, previous experience 'big name hires'. There will never be a big name Miami hire. Ever.

Lets see what Manny does with a full house.

That’s a complete straw man. There is not a single baseball program that gets 100% of its signees on campus. There are also plenty of other private schools that have been successful. We didn’t follow Vanderbilt’s endowment model.

It is not a reach even a little to say we missed the tournament two years and still hired a coach from it. It is literally what happened.
I’m saying it’s a stretch because it two totally different sports that operate and recruit totally differently . U comparing baseball to football is the stretch. The issues in baseball Then u bring up Vandy who has literally had the same HC for 20 years..that includes stretches of them missing the CWS and down years..yes they’ve won 2 in the last 6. But pior they’ve had droughts too...I’m pretty sure we just hold in the top recruiting class in baseball and that only factors kids who will actually play and not pro..that’s a coach from a “failed regime” who seems to be doing quite well. so we’ll see what happens with Dino on the field..but there’s no correlation from a baseball and football standpoint. 2 totally different worlds

First off what the **** does the date he retired matter? There’s been coaches leave later than that. Unreal there’s two people in the world defending this. You don’t know who wants the job unless you search.

You’re speaking with not knowing anything what went on during this process. Yet defending it , which is hilarious in itself. We had a booster willing to pay for a buyout and contract of a coach and willing to pay real money for a great staff. While he’s working on that Blake goes and makes a decision within hours. No letting anyone know wth he was doing. But instead he takes Miami’s money and buys our dc back. Using all of marks good will to have a first time head coach, a first time head coach that’s been an above average dc for his career. With that buyout we paid a total of eight million dollars for Diaz’s first year , not including assistants lol.

But I’ll tell you the same as the other guy , if you’re defending Blake and that lunacy we’re wasting each other’s time.
Blake looks really bad here. At the very least, he should have had the foresight to have Manny exclude Miami from his buyout clause. Plenty of coaches have done this for their dream jobs. Fireable offense in my mind.

Last edited:
I’m saying it’s a stretch because it two totally different sports that operate and recruit totally differently . U comparing baseball to football is the stretch. The issues in baseball Then u bring up Vandy who has literally had the same HC for 20 years..that includes stretches of them missing the CWS and down years..yes they’ve won 2 in the last 6. But pior they’ve had droughts too...I’m pretty sure we just hold in the top recruiting class in baseball and that only factors kids who will actually play and not pro..that’s a coach from a “failed regime” who seems to be doing quite well. so we’ll see what happens with Dino on the field..but there’s no correlation from a baseball and football standpoint. 2 totally different worlds
Listen Blake, we appreciate your hard work at Hecht and AMA on this thread. The bottom line is it is not a stretch because it is two different programs at Miami where you did the exact same thing - promoting an assistant off a program on a downward trend. That makes it a trend. I already said DiMare is recruiting at a high level, though he is still over managing and the team still has TERRIBLE fundamentals and IQ. Just like Manny, I hope both win us titles. That is what’s best for the school and us as fans. However, both were EXTREMELY lazy and indefensible decisions. With baseball, how did you not even interview Greg Lovelady?

Advertisement

B/c he can’t. Lol.

Some guys named Banda, Fields, Hickson, Stroud, and Lashlee happened to be on staff and brought in some gems.

And let’s not act like Golden didn’t bring in the #10 & #13 classes in back to back yrs. Our LB core is deplorable & our CB room is still deplorable. Thank goodness for Stevenson seeing the light, late.

Records of the top coaches loved here during their first two seasons as HC compared to Manny's 14-10.+

1. Jimmy Johnson - 10-11-1
2. Butch Davis 17-6
3. Urban Meyer 17-6
4. Nick Saban 15-7-1
5. Dabo Swinney 15-12
6. Jimbo Fisher 19-8
7. Ed Orgeron 7-16
8. Dan Mullen 14-11

Thank you.

My dude, as I clearly outlined in this thread, you and many others like you that are targeting your ire at Blake James are completely missing the forest for the trees and are misguided. The University knew of his lack of football and sports acumen/knowledge before they made him AD. This is why when it came time to hire his 1st football HC, they paid for a search committee. So the question you should ask yourself is not whether or not James should be employed at MIA as AD, but how someone this under qualified ended up getting hired for the position of AD @ MIA in the first place? It's because they want fans like you to scapegoat James & the HC when the wheels inevitably fall off the wagon, like they routinely have in the last 20 yrs. You're smart enough to understand that the HC & AD are nothing more than symptoms, to a much larger underlying issue. If you focused less on recruiting rankings & talent, eventually you would realize that in CFB, resource allocation & coaching are the most important factors that contribute to winning. At the NFL level it's talent. This is why teams like Iowa, Iowa State, & Wisconsin hover around 10 wins every yr, despite recruiting in the bottom 3rd. Overly focusing on talent & recruiting rankings, is forcing you to put the majority of the blame on the HC & AD, which in turn is creating unrealistic expectations. Those unrealistic expectations are making this fanbase one of the most toxic & negative in all of sports. This has to stop, because it only makes this job that much less attractive.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Apex Predator:
So the pt that I'm trying to make is the reason why there wasn't a thorough HC search, is because the budget constraints ended up limiting the options.
I have no doubt you believe that, but it's an insane view, IMO. Miami could have done a search, and probably had an obligation to do one, if it takes its duties seriously. You may be right that it didn't because money, but that doesn't mean the decision was sensible. They had the option of doing the right thing, they just didn't do it.

Apex Predator:
If the University didn't hire his successor from his old staff, it essentially would have meant the money that was spent on his search was also wasted
Anyone who has taken economics learns the concept of sunk costs. To contend that hiring manny made sense because of money spent years earlier to hire Richt is just an effort to spin. And to be clear, that money spent years earlier was wasted. Nothing after the fact can change that.

2.) Regardless of what influential boosters have told you about their willingness to pay top dollar for a HC & staff, after the last 20 yrs none of these individuals have earned the benefit of the doubt. Time & time again during the last 20 yrs, this university has chosen to make bargain bin hires when it comes to its football program. These individuals are trying to control the narrative, that this University has resources, and a willingness to spend. The problem is the facts of the situation just don't support their ridiculous claims. That in of itself is a much bigger issue for this program, than Blake James's perceived incompetence. So you are right when you say that Manny is not the disease but a mere symptom. But either is Blake James. Its high time this delusional fanbase accept that reality, so they can finally begin to target their frustration at the right place.
This I entirely agree with.

The position is way too big for him.
He's a bureaucrat / administrator. Thinks his job is to go through the motions, review a guy after the season, etc. He doesn't seem to realize that that's not his job - that's just something people in his job do in normal situations. His job is to cause outcomes, not push paper. It's possible he's causing the outcomes the BOT wants -- it's even likely, tbh -- but so long as they claim to want to be competitive at the highest level, it's clear he's not doing what's needed for that.

Well thought out post. You are right. There are a multitude of ways the hire could have gone, sure, but the truth of the matter (supported by history) is the school took a known quantity, who had a bunch of really good years at the school to that point, and took him at arguably a discount.

It's a private school remember... there isn't some hiring criteria or transparency required. They could give a **** less, I am sure. I am also so tired of hearing about it.

Year one, he got his **** packed in. Made some changes.
Year 2, did pretty well, still underperformed. Made more changes.
Year 3, lets see. Trajectory to this point pushes up even further.

I know the cribby's of CIS and the FMD crew (**** Manny Diaz) wanted Mario or Butch or any of these names with history to the program, on a second go around, but Richt as a big time college coach coming to Miami should ALWAYS be viewed as an outlier to traditional UM coach hiring.

It has always been a diamond in the rough, or one with limited success elsewhere. Go down the ******* list for **** sake:
Howard- Coordinator and 1 yr as a NFL HC before being ****canned and sent to the fins as an OC
Jimmy- Coached at Oklahoma St, limited success, still lost 4 games a year there
Erickson- HC of no name west coast schools until Miami
Butch- NFL Coordinator before Miami
Coker- You know the drill
Shannon- Same deal
Golden- Same deal, but pedo
Richt- ONLY OUTLIER
Manny- Same deal

There will never been another Richt here, it will always be a young hire, and to be honest, I will be fine with that. This year for Manny is make or break. Its 10 wins or bust, thats for sure. But please stop with the crybaby **** over coaching search, previous experience 'big name hires'. There will never be a big name Miami hire. Ever.

Lets see what Manny does with a full house.

Exactly. Don't you find it ironic that despite being the most accomplished HC that was hired in this program's history, you still have dummies in this fanbase who have the gall to say he should've never been hired because he was washed up! LMAO. He didn't fail here because he was washed up. He failed here because the university couldn't hold him accountable, which is a byproduct of lack of investment.

I have no doubt you believe that, but it's an insane view, IMO. Miami could have done a search, and probably had an obligation to do one, if it takes its duties seriously. You may be right that it didn't because money, but that doesn't mean the decision was sensible. They had the option of doing the right thing, they just didn't do it.

I think If they had done a HC search it would've been to only improve the optics of the situation, and not because they felt it could lead to a drastically different outcome. We also have to remember, time was not on the university's side when Richt decided to retire, because with every passing day Manny was becoming more entrenched in the Temple job, and the pt of no return was rapidly approaching. There was simply not enough time to conduct a thorough coaching search, if it meant waiting additional days was going to eliminate option A.

Advertisement
Back