Recruiting Recognition 10-3-13

Golden has said himself that griffin could grow into a jimmy graham type guy and he is. When ag said he was going to play wr he was about 220 and now griffin said he is 230. He is working out on his own and he is not elgible to play bball this year. Jimmy graham when he left miami was 6'6-6'7 245 and ran in the 4.5s at the combine and griffin is 6'6-6'7 230 with a 40 in the 4.5s and he is only a frosh. For those bringing up calvin johnson the dude ran a 4.35 or 4.38 at the combine so griffin aint in his league.

There are arguably zero players in Calvin's league. That doesn't mean Griffin can't be a **** good receiver, given his size.

Exactly. Just because he doesn't have the speed of one of the greatest WRs to ever play the game doesn't mean he can't be a great college WR.

I keep saying Mike Williams from SC last decade. Maybe he won't be fast enough for the NFL to play WR, maybe, but he is still fast enough and athletic enough to rape and pillage Div 1. Another name K Bemjamin from FSU.

I think he's way more athletic than Mike Williams. But that's a good example of a big dude who did very well at WR in college. There are tons of those examples including Benjamin who is way bigger than Griffin.

Advertisement
Once BK's offer turns commitable from UCLA, he is gone.

LULZ

Ditto.

The everybody knew this would eventually happen including Kaaya. If he wanted UCLA, he would not have committed to Miami so early and just let all the others schools keep recruiting him. Plus he would still be taking all the visits and crap like that... UCLA is just hacked off because we stole him from underneath their feet.

As usual, most of the clowns on here just repeat everything they here like a parrot, without using common sense.

Once BK's offer turns commitable from UCLA, he is gone.

Lol either your sources are Kaaya's people or UCLA's people and I doubt its either. If its not committal than UCLA is waiting on some other QB and I doubt that is the case after ******** up not offering him earlier.

I like how you can look like an insider either way. If he leaves then you can say see I told you guys and if he does then you can say UCLA did not give him the green light.

Last edited:
Golden has said himself that griffin could grow into a jimmy graham type guy and he is. When ag said he was going to play wr he was about 220 and now griffin said he is 230. He is working out on his own and he is not elgible to play bball this year. Jimmy graham when he left miami was 6'6-6'7 245 and ran in the 4.5s at the combine and griffin is 6'6-6'7 230 with a 40 in the 4.5s and he is only a frosh. For those bringing up calvin johnson the dude ran a 4.35 or 4.38 at the combine so griffin aint in his league.

There are arguably zero players in Calvin's league. That doesn't mean Griffin can't be a **** good receiver, given his size.

Exactly. Just because he doesn't have the speed of one of the greatest WRs to ever play the game doesn't mean he can't be a great college WR.

I keep saying Mike Williams from SC last decade. Maybe he won't be fast enough for the NFL to play WR, maybe, but he is still fast enough and athletic enough to rape and pillage Div 1. Another name K Bemjamin from FSU.

I think he's way more athletic than Mike Williams. But that's a good example of a big dude who did very well at WR in college. There are tons of those examples including Benjamin who is way bigger than Griffin.

I think his career path will follow the similar path as KW2's. He was a great athlete playing HS (DE/WR) and wanted to play WR at UM. He came on and played only at the WR spot his first year (much like Winston played TE his first year). By spring after year 1, the need was there to have him at TE. I expect Griffin to do something similar - stay on as a situational WR in year 1 and then eventually move to TE. That's the most effective use of your weapons. Besides, even as a TE, KW2 often split out wide for fades and what not.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Griffin, but I'd love to be wrong.

Anyway, he's a tight end. He could play receiver, but he's a bigger matchup problem at tight end. His frame is huge (not just tall) and he showed some physicality in his highlights, at least. I think AU's KWII comparison is apt in terms of position.

Advertisement

I think his career path will follow the similar path as KW2's. He was a great athlete playing HS (DE/WR) and wanted to play WR at UM. He came on and played only at the WR spot his first year (much like Winston played TE his first year). By spring after year 1, the need was there to have him at TE. I expect Griffin to do something similar - stay on as a situational WR in year 1 and then eventually move to TE. That's the most effective use of your weapons. Besides, even as a TE, KW2 often split out wide for fades and what not.

K2 was a great athlete for a TE. He was an average athlete as a WR. That's probably part of the reason he wasn't a super highly sought after recruit. The thing that separated that dude from everyone else was his insane drive and toughness.

I'm not sure that Griffin and K2 are the same sort of athlete. The similarity is that they're both big kids. I think their body types are different as is their athleticism. Hopefully, we shall see on this guy.

I wasn't necessarily comparing them as athletes. I was comparing their positional path in college.

As for his athletic ability, Griffin's exploits on the hardwood lead me to believe he is a top notch athlete. Great kind of kid to split out wide on endzone fades.

Being here in the spring would be huge for him.

Anyway, he's a tight end. He could play receiver, but he's a bigger matchup problem at tight end. His frame is huge (not just tall) and he showed some physicality in his highlights, at least. I think AU's KWII comparison is apt in terms of position.

Not only is he a bigger matchup issue at TE, but if he stays at WR, that just means it's one less position you can have a great playmaker at. Why not have him on the field at TE AND have another dynamic playmaker at WR?

I think whoever is saying Griffen won't be a TE here is sticking to the traditional TE role too much. Griffin probably won't be an inline TE here, but he'll line up in the box off the line or as a weakside guy, and flex out and line up in a bunch of different positions where he is generally going against safeties or LBs unless it's in the end zone area where he might be a bit different. Dobard is going to be that inline guy like Cleveland plays and Dye last year (though more of a receiving threat), and Griffin will be like how Walford was used last year and Graham in the past here (and also in the NFL where he is quite literally just a giant *** WR). He's a pass catcher, there's no need to limit him lining up in one specific spot when his biggest attribute is being a mismatch.

Assuming he makes it here.

Advertisement

Not only is he a bigger matchup issue at TE, but if he stays at WR, that just means it's one less position you can have a great playmaker at. Why not have him on the field at TE AND have another dynamic playmaker at WR?

Because at tight end it will be a couple years until he sees the field.
Golden really wants his tight ends to be great blockers first. If you are a subpar blocker as a TE you won't see the field.
I'm guessing that inline blocking is not Griffin's strength or something he probably loves doing.
Now, as a 240lb wr he can probably block the crap out of any collegiate cornerback.
And with Michael Jordan hops he would out leap any defender.
Why limit a talent to blocking defensive ends for half his plays?

Advertisement
Back