REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Look at lil buddy trying to save his precious blue bloods.
Bay Jilas was ALWAYS a leading proponent of essentially unfettered free market capitalism in college athletics. I'm thinking he may have overvalued Dook Hoops' actual value in the grand scheme of things once this genie has been let out of the bottle.

Advertisement
Maybe my orange and green glasses are on now, but why would the $EC take F$U over Miami? We are a much bigger market.

Bay Jilas was ALWAYS a leading proponent of essentially unfettered free market capitalism in college athletics. I'm thinking he may have overvalued Dook Hoops' actual value in the grand scheme of things once this genie has been let out of the bottle.
Totally. We are in the midst of literally every shred of 100+ years of history, relationships and meaning in the second biggest sport in America being sacrificed on the altar of potential earnings (ie, power) to please a select handful of people in a select handful of schools and Uncle Jay just realized his Coach K and Roy Williams-less group of nepotistic chums are going to be left out in the bitter cold with a shovel and a form for making blocks of ice.

Maybe my orange and green glasses are on now, but why would the $EC take F$U over Miami? We are a much bigger market.
Larger state school, low academic standards, fanbase that fits within framework of SEC. UF is also much more likely to go along with FSU coming into the fold, because over the last 20 years, they have become mirror images of each other in regards to how they are managed and outlook.

We may be in a huge media market, but let's not pretend that we own this market in regards to collegiate sports. There are more UF and FSU fans in this region than Miami fans, there's significantly more alumni. The SEC will get a ton of attention in South Florida, whether Miami is in it or not.

Totally. We are in the midst of literally every shred of 100+ years of history, relationships and meaning in the second biggest sport in America being sacrificed on the altar of potential earnings (ie, power) to please a select handful of people in a select handful of schools and Uncle Jay just realized his Coach K and Roy Williams-less group of nepotistic chums are going to be left out in the bitter cold with a shovel and a form for making blocks of ice.
The thing with traditions, new ones will be created and the old forgotten over time.

Advertisement

I think Jay was willing to take the hit, if it meant that guys could own their futures. NIL needed to happen and if it means that college sports change, then so be it.

Merger is coming if the SEC wants it. 32 teams.

PAC 12 & Big 10 will follow suit and poach teams from the newly defunct big 12.
Left overs will form there own USA conference.

Possible landing spots for rest of Big 12: (Just my thoughts)

ISU - Big 10
Kansas - Big 10
Kansas St. - Big 10
OKS - Pac 12
WVU - ??? (ACC already said no)
TXT - Pac 12
Baylor - Pac 12 / ACC
TCU - Pac 12 / ACC

Perfect chance for ACC to get into Texas.
WVU provides nothing of value for the ACC. Go after one of the Texas schools. That gives the ACC exposure in Texas and access to the 2nd best state for recruiting.

I think Jay was willing to take the hit, if it meant that guys could own their futures. NIL needed to happen and if it means that college sports change, then so be it.
I don't necessarily disagree with much of what he's been a proponent for or what is happening now with the NIL. And I could be wrong about Dook's value or basketball schools in general. I'm just more inclined to think Bilas and Dookies could be in for a rude awakening when their school's artificially inflated power within the ACC is taken away and their overall "value" to a conference is actually explored. This is a pretty delicious time for Coach Ratface to be retiring too.

Advertisement
I don't necessarily disagree with much of what he's been a proponent for or what is happening now with the NIL. And I could be wrong about Dook's value or basketball schools in general. I'm just more inclined to think Bilas and Dookies could be in for a rude awakening when their school's artificially inflated power within the ACC is taken away and their overall "value" to a conference is actually explored. This is a pretty delicious time for Coach Ratface to be retiring too.

Maybe Duke ends up walking away from major college football. They can play high end basketball and not have a football program. Maybe they end up joining the Big East and downgrading their football program. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the small private schools, that have basketball traditions end up doing that, especially if they aren't able to get into these mega conferences. March Madness will still be a thing and Duke will still be a relevant program, provided they have a coach worth a ****.

I don't know why but I just have this terrible gut feeling this isn't going to end up well for the Hurricanes.
That's a distinct possibility, it's also the same thing USC is facing, sometimes, you are a victim of circumstances beyond your control. Doesn't mean you have to accept your fate, you should do everything possible, but there's a good chance Miami as an urban school, with a small donor pool may be stuck on the outside looking in, because the good old boy schools may not want to let us in. The best we can do is do everything we can to keep our seat at the table for as long as possible.

ACC membership circa 2025:
  • Boston College -- ACC (rebuilt but severely downgraded)
  • Clemson -- SEC🔒
  • Duke -- BIG
  • FSU -- SEC🔒
  • Georgia Tech -- SEC 🤷‍♂️
  • Louisville -- ACC
  • Miami -- SEC 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
  • North Carolina -- BIG
  • NC State -- SEC 🤷‍♂️
  • Notre Dame -- BIG
  • Pitt -- ACC
  • Syracuse -- ACC
  • Virginia -- BIG
  • Virginia Tech -- SEC
  • Wake Forest -- ACC or maybe drop to I-AA in football and join Big East for basketball, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
That's a distinct possibility, it's also the same thing USC is facing, sometimes, you are a victim of circumstances beyond your control. Doesn't mean you have to accept your fate, you should do everything possible, but there's a good chance Miami as an urban school, with a small donor pool may be stuck on the outside looking in, because the good old boy schools may not want to let us in. The best we can do is do everything we can to keep our seat at the table for as long as possible.

There’s also the law of unintended consequences at play here.

Yes, it’s a possibility that some schools like Miami and USC are somehow left out. It is also possible that the SEC ends up overplaying its hand so much that other forces are marshaled against it in ways that they have not anticipated. I’m not saying that’s likely, it may not be, but the rest of CFB isn’t necessarily going to take the SEC’s middle finger with zero reaction.

Then again, this may end with just, TX & OK going over to the SEC in 2025, with the rest of P5 realigning in a way that leaves schools like Miami and USC in play.

Additionally, while Miami may not be in the top 25-30 of revenue earners, it doesn’t necessarily need to be, with its brand, history, and tv ratings draw, and also considering that anything less than a ~30 team super-league would not maximize the market and income potential of a CFB super-league.

Advertisement
Back