Real talk on Butch Davis

The safe hire isn't necessarily the best hire especially not for the long term.

If people believe Herman is the next great coach why not roll the dice. The reward is greater than the risk IMO

You might be 100% right, but can Herman recruit against the big dogs? That's why Butch is the safest hire for now. Give Butch a 3yr deal, with a nice exit plan for the next up and coming corch.

Herman was the primary for both J.T. Barrett and Torrance Gibson (a player we coveted since the 8th grade) while at Ohio State. And his extremely efficient, up-tempo, high-scoring offense would appeal far more to South Florida skill talent in the long run than a traditional, bland, behind-the-times attack that conservatively sits on leads and doesn't get anyone excited.

What this program needs more than anything is a coach who can gameplan circles around the opposition and provide us with a schematic advantage in big games. Just like Herman did a year ago against Kirby Smart when he put up 42 points against Bama with a third-string QB making his second career start.

Advertisement
Look, I think what happened at UNC for Butch was what happened at UM for Butch: he tried to win through amassing talent but the gameplanning, adjustments etc. was not top notch so they tended to underperform on gameday. He couldn't amass as much talent at UNC as he could at Miami and therefore could not get away with his deficiencies there like he could here.

Like I said earlier in this thread: I think Butch could easily put together a staff and team to get to and even win the ACCCG but to face and win against very talented teams with an Urban Meyer and Nick Saban coaching them? I think we get exposed there.

Maybe Butch's problem has been is coordinators. Coker, Shannon, Shoop were not world beaters but with careful consideration and serious $$$, with top shelf coordinators we could solve this problem.

We're going to be begging for Butch after these ****** idiots hire South Dakota's OC or SUNY Buffalo's RB coach.

Why leave it to chance?

Why isn't Butch a "high-ceiling" guy? He built the best team ever. Isn't that the highest ceiling possible?

Outside of Miami, who was really trying to hire Shannon and Golden?

This program completely **** the bed with those 2 hires. Now guys are all shook about the possibility of hiring 2 guys that are getting much pub and want the safe hire.

Butch should only be named HC if we can't land the better options that are out there. Plenty of coaches out there at dead end jobs. Places that will never have the talent to get them to the final dance.

This program may not have the fancy **** that others do, but if you want to dominate, win NC or make it to the next level. There is no better coaching job in the country.

Advertisement

You're right on Shannon, but Golden was considered a rising star when we hired him. Even after a couple .500-type seasons at Miami, he was getting offers from programs like Wisconsin and attention from big-name schools.

You're right on Shannon, but Golden was considered a rising star when we hired him. Even after a couple .500-type seasons at Miami, he was getting offers from programs like Wisconsin and attention from big-name schools.

D$, do you have a timeline?

Seems interviews should start this week, right?

Franchise,
Another variable that I see as significant is that Bud Foster took over as D Coordinator at Va Tech the same year Butch was hired at UM. Bud Foster is, IMO as good of a D coordinator as there is in college football.

As others have noted, landing Ron Mexico was a huge deal for Frank Beamer. After he was at Va Tech it seemed that every year they were in the recruiting hunt for the supposed next big time duel threat QB. They've had pretty solid QB play ever since Vick's freshman year.

Advertisement
DISCLAIMER: I love Butch Davis and am firmly entrenched in the camp that knows he's the best HC in football.

This morning I was in the football lab crunching some numbers. I discovered that, from a scientific standpoint, Butch not only built UM into a powerhouse, but he is also solely responsible for putting Vag Tech on the football map.

Prior to taking ownership of Davis, Flubberneck Beamer was merely a failing coach with a giant grotesque goiter, and Vag Tech was a completely irrelevant program that was a sorry A10 program a few years prior. They were a middle of the road MAC level program, and Flubberneck was teetering on the edge of being fired.

UM, at that point in time, was the bully on the block. We were still playing for NCs and beating up on lowly programs. When Flubberneck reeled off several wins over UM, which still had a big reputation at the time, it completely legitimized their program and catapulted Flubberneck from floundering failure to great coach status.

It's pretty amazing what beating Davis 5 straight times did for VT's program and for Flubberneck's career. Davis amazingly built two programs during the same 6 year stretch.

Butch Davis himself talked about Vaginitis Tek today on The Ticket.

http://http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7/6/2/7628737d4d953450/Part_2_-_11-9-15.mp3?c_id=10241953&expiration=1447115489&hwt=bf74ce526df52eb54300836329c49ec4

@27:21 Asked who was the toughest coach to coach against during his time at The U.

Butch Davis is a God.

He had a hand in recruiting & coaching for 3 of our 5 NC teams. Good enough for me.
Don't really care what fancy scheme comes along tomorrow - I'll take my chances with Butch.

Advertisement

but Golden was considered a rising star when we hired him. Even after a couple .500-type seasons at Miami, he was getting offers from programs like Wisconsin and attention from big-name schools.

UCLA also.

Tennessee, supposedly.

***** please.gif

Coker's National Title is akin to Switzer's Super Bowl win. Coker -- like Switzer -- just stayed out of the way and reaped the rewards of what his predecessor built.

Comical. You don't have to go any further than opinion of Barry Switzer to decipher whether or not somebody knows anything about football.

Switzer won the Super Bowl in one of the most negative situational scenarios in pro football. It's only been done two other times in league history, and never happened in the decade of the AFL.

Teams that are one season removed from being dethroned as champion have a horrendous history. It's a natural lull and decline. It's the situation Seattle is in right now. Pete Carroll and their general manager knew darn well they couldn't maintain status quo and expect to threaten where they've been the past two seasons. That's why they traded for Jimmy Graham to shake things up. It was a worthwhile attempt even though not likely to pay full dividends.

Switzer did a tremendous job revitalizing that team and overcoming the negative trend. He said he spent the entire offseason looking at film from the two title years and detecting what had changed. He noted that many players had literally become fat cats, that they were much heavier than during the two championship seasons. That trend was pointed out to the players involved and reversed. Dallas was a much fitter and energetic team in 1995 than 1994. We were noting that on the Las Vegas radio handicapping shows early that season.

Simplistic fans had already made up their mind on Switzer so nothing was going to intervene.

The only other two times a team regained the NFL championship one season after being dethroned was a George Halas Bears team in the early '40s and the Belichick Patriots in 2003. That's it. That team is always laughably overrated in the betting odds and public perception entering the season, including Seattle this year. Somehow there's greater scrutiny on the defending champion, which historically owns a much better record the following year than the dethroned champ.

Switzer was also 5-0 combined in bowl games against Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden. On Canes sites it's hilarious that Switzer is somehow defined by those 3 losses to Miami from 1985 to 1987, despite the fact Oklahoma won exactly as many national titles in those years as the Canes did -- one.

And BTW, Saturday was a perfect example of why you always want third down screen passes to fail. Virginia popped one on its first series for roughly 30 yards. Here comes the danger. I've seen it unfold dozens and dozens of times over the years. The offensive coordinator gets a little pea brained idea that it was good strategy. So he calls it again...and again...and again. I was in a seizure of laughter in the stands. Virginia threw away three subsequent series via failed third down screens. All were blown up. Keep in mind how many series you get in a game. The Cavaliers tossed away a huge percentage of their opportunities with those ignorant calls. The Canes got into the act also. Coley called one middle screen on third and manageable. It was wiped out at the line of scrimmage. And yesterday the Dolphins threw away their game at Buffalo courtesy of a stupid third down screen. They trailed only 19-14 and were moving at ease until Bill Lazor brainstormed a third down tight end screen. Buffalo collapsed the pocket, blanketed the tight end, forced Tannehill to think and then knocked the ball from his hands for a decisive turnover. The Bills scored on the subsequent possession to reestablish control of the game.

Advertisement
I thought the third down screen pass **** was a joke to discredit you.

Turns out it's very real.

Yep 3rd down screen passes never work. Except for when they do.

Funny how that is eh?

The Patriots use them successfully all the ******* time FFS.

2Q, 1:35:Third and 13, from about their own 7. Brady passes to Stallworth, on a receiver screen to the left side. First down. Gain of 18. …Now the Patriots hurry it up. From their 25. Brady throws deep. He is hit again as he throws, and the ball is long. Incomplete.

And here is an article talking about how those same Patriots defense had to work on not getting trashed on 3rd down screen passes themselves.

ESPN.com - Patriots' D focuses on better play vs. screen

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- It's never too early to get into nitty-gritty football talk, and with that in mind, one area that has been pinpointed by players to improve is defending the screen pass -- especially on third down.

The New England Patriots ranked 26th in the NFL on third down last season, with opponents converting 42.2 percent of the time, and screens on third-and-long were a notable part of the problem.

"One of the big things is just getting to the ball. You try to get the linemen to rush up the field, guys are dropping in coverage, so just effort and everything on that simple basis can help improve the screen game," safety Devin McCourty said.

Devin McCourty
Devin McCourty says the Patriots should pay close attention to screens on third-and-long in order to improve from last season.

Hey lookie here! Michigan ran a 3rd down screen pass vs Mich. St.

2015 Michigan / Michigan State Possession Notes | MVictors.com

Michigan – Can they answer back? Something? Huge play – Houma up the gut for 27. Screen sniffed out by Steve, run up the middle stuffed – 3rd down – great screen pass to AJ Williams.

I could go on and ******* on and ******* on. College NFL it doesn't matter.

Dude is a straight up GAS BAG.

Last edited:
If Butch is the guy, the dumb asses in charge better get him hired soon or the 16 class will be toast.

Advertisement
Back