Real talk on Butch Davis

Advertisement
My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

So the other option is bring in someone who hasn't proven they can build national championship talent?

Butch is like buying a CD while some of the other candidates are like buying stock in a high tech start up. They call me Mr. Vegas, so I would look at the candidates with more potential upside. My top pick would be Tom Herman.
But but Herman is not proven and could be another Golden!!1

Herman has already accomplished more than Golden.

If he wins the AAC, he will have accomplished more in 1 year than Davis did at UNC too.

DISCLAIMER: Butch Davis walks on water.

The safe hire isn't necessarily the best hire especially not for the long term.

If people believe Herman is the next great coach why not roll the dice. The reward is greater than the risk IMO

What's so "safe" about winning 9 games a year at UM anyway?

My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

In case you forgot: Butch's team, with Clappy as HC, won the NC in 2001.

And most smart football people thought Butch would have found a way to fck up that 2001 season with his panic on the sidelines. Coker was a better HC; he just couldn't recruit like Davis.

DISCLAIMER: Butch poops flowers

Advertisement

And most smart football people thought Butch would have found a way to fck up that 2001 season with his panic on the sidelines. Coker was a better HC; he just couldn't recruit like Davis.

Coker didn't coach in 2001.

So the other option is bring in someone who hasn't proven they can build national championship talent?

Butch is like buying a CD while some of the other candidates are like buying stock in a high tech start up. They call me Mr. Vegas, so I would look at the candidates with more potential upside. My top pick would be Tom Herman.
But but Herman is not proven and could be another Golden!!1

He could be another Folden, or he could be another ***. Do you accept the risk, or do you go with the low risk, low yield investment? I don't know.

**** "safe", you go with Herman. The low yield product is the same product that we fired Coker for. We have to stop dropping the standard at UM. The standard was always winning championships, and we fired Coker for one season under 9 wins. We make that standard 9 wins, then we're a program that's below UF and FSU, when we used to dominate them with a modicum of their financial resources. We go back to dominating in year 1 (scoring 50+ a game), and there will be nothing that UF (with our former HC) or FSU can say to marginalize our program.

Advertisement

Coker a better HC than Davis?

Coker's National Title is akin to Switzer's Super Bowl win. Coker -- like Switzer -- just stayed out of the way and reaped the rewards of what his predecessor built.

And there was a similar progressive decline with the Cowboys and UM in the years that followed.

If people believe Herman is the next great coach why not roll the dice. The reward is greater than the risk IMO

What's so "safe" about winning 9 games a year at UM anyway?
Good question. I'm with you, Butch is a bland hire to me. Even with the talent advantage I don't know that he could beat these new offenses in CFB. He may run into the Saban problem with spread teams.

Theres a a reason teams like Baylor, TCU, Oregon are running those offenses, it's a great equalizer in terms of talent. Talent just isn't enough to win it all these days and I don't know that people are considering that.

You might be 100% right, but can Herman recruit against the big dogs? That's why Butch is the safest hire for now. Give Butch a 3yr deal, with a nice exit plan for the next up and coming corch.

Advertisement

You might be 100% right, but can Herman recruit against the big dogs? That's why Butch is the safest hire for now. Give Butch a 3yr deal, with a nice exit plan for the next up and coming corch.
I think his recruiting will be just fine when he lights that scoreboard up. He's got the right personality too. It's a **** shame we are gonna ***** this up

I think his recruiting will be just fine when he lights that scoreboard up. He's got the right personality too. It's a **** shame we are gonna ***** this up

Dammit mane, you're starting to make me want Herman>>Butch...

Advertisement
If it is down to Herman or Butch... High-class problem. Thank god Golden is gone.

Serious question...how do we know Herman is interested in leaving Houston to come here? Obviously we should inquire, but do we have to wait until the year is over? If so does that change things? We need to get this right no doubt, but we need a coach by the end of 2015.

He screwed the 2000 season up , and that team was deeper and more talented than the 01 team.

Luckily we had Reed and Dorsey to coach the 01 squad

Last edited:

Bro we need a Miami guy and a recruiter bro. Bro would Hermans even know how to navigate the South Flarda recruiting bro? Gimme Critobal bro. Best recruiter in the country bro and turned FIU around bro

LMAO!!

Advertisement
Back