Real talk on Butch Davis

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
DISCLAIMER: I love Butch Davis and am firmly entrenched in the camp that knows he's the best HC in football.

This morning I was in the football lab crunching some numbers. I discovered that, from a scientific standpoint, Butch not only built UM into a powerhouse, but he is also solely responsible for putting Vag Tech on the football map.

Prior to taking ownership of Davis, Flubberneck Beamer was merely a failing coach with a giant grotesque goiter, and Vag Tech was a completely irrelevant program that was a sorry A10 program a few years prior. They were a middle of the road MAC level program, and Flubberneck was teetering on the edge of being fired.

UM, at that point in time, was the bully on the block. We were still playing for NCs and beating up on lowly programs. When Flubberneck reeled off several wins over UM, which still had a big reputation at the time, it completely legitimized their program and catapulted Flubberneck from floundering failure to great coach status.

It's pretty amazing what beating Davis 5 straight times did for VT's program and for Flubberneck's career. Davis amazingly built two programs during the same 6 year stretch.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Perhaps Beamer was a good coach....

DISCLAIMER: I love Butch Davis and am firmly entrenched in the camp that knows he's the best HC in football.

This morning I was in the football lab crunching some numbers. I discovered that, from a scientific standpoint, Butch not only built UM into a powerhouse, but he is also solely responsible for putting Vag Tech on the football map.

Prior to taking ownership of Davis, Flubberneck Beamer was merely a failing coach with a giant grotesque goiter, and Vag Tech was a completely irrelevant program that was a sorry A10 program a few years prior. They were a middle of the road MAC level program, and Flubberneck was teetering on the edge of being fired.

UM, at that point in time, was the bully on the block. We were still playing for NCs and beating up on lowly programs. When Flubberneck reeled off several wins over UM, which still had a big reputation at the time, it completely legitimized their program and catapulted Flubberneck from floundering failure to great coach status.

It's pretty amazing what beating Davis 5 straight times did for VT's program and for Flubberneck's career. Davis amazingly built two programs during the same 6 year stretch.

Even in the late early 90s, VT had the rep as a pesky hard nosed team - usually played us tough.

Advertisement
Al Golden killed two programs too. Beating Miami not a big deal while Golden here and losing to Golden was embarrassing.

After FSU and UF they were the biggest beneficiaries from our probation, and Butch's shortcomings.

They weren't complete nobodies when they first beat us in '95, but the subsequent victories did legitimize their program nationally. It's also why they've never been intimidated by us since, even when we came back in the early 2000's.

He's still my 1st choice.

Last edited:
After FSU and UF they were the biggest beneficiaries from our probation, and Butch's shortcomings.

They weren't complete nobodies when they first beat us in '95, but the subsequent victories did legitimize their program nationally. It's also why they've never been intimidated by us since, even when we came back in the early 2000's.

I'm with you. Not sure what Butch did or didn't do for OTHER programs, I am sure Miami only won one title without Butch Davis recruits making up most of the team. Since NCs are all I can about there is nothing to think about unless Howard found the "get young" pill and walks back though the door with one of those pipes. And then I still want Butch as his DC and recruiter.

Advertisement

I'm with you. Not sure what Butch did or didn't do for OTHER programs, I am sure Miami only won one title without Jimmy Johnson recruits making up most of the team. Since NCs are all I can about there is nothing to think about unless Howard found the "get young" pill and walks back though the door with one of those pipes. And then I still want Dave Wannstedt as his DC and recruiter.

FIFY

And losing a lot of close games to Miami while JJ and Dennis were here made Ole St Bobby a god too. Butch did not have the great fortune of taking over one of the roosters full of Butch Davis recruits like Dennis and Larry did. He should have pick a better coach to follow, or then there was that ncaa thing.

Advertisement
Who gives a rats ***. The man successfully built the U roster into a juggernaut. The likes of which will never been seen again or was seen before. Teams that wiped the Floor with UF, FSU and VT at at the same time.

I know a lot of you think its got to be some new flashy guy and a yada. Give me the guy who builds teams from the trenches. Its no wonder we can't win, other than Flowers . Between the OL and DL we have not had many players drafted. That will not happen under Butch Davis. And all those fancy offenses lets see how fast their tempo is when they are losing yardage or the QB on his back every time. As soon as those small fast offenses meet a big powerful, quick defense, they buckle. We need that back.

So some of you sit there and say, oh u can't think of 2000-2001 but its ok to talk about losing 5 straight to VT in the 90s? OK got it

Can we get an official Butch Davis facts thread. His lore needs to be spread to the masses

I remember Jim Tressel saying that he never seen a practice like ours in his life.

He learned from what Butch built and took it back to OSU.

Advertisement
Not a friendly visit this time for Bucks

Not a friendly visit this time for Bucks

Tressel, staff observed 'Canes during visit to spring practice
By Rusty Miller
The Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Before the season, Ohio State coach Jim Tressel took his staff on a road trip to watch other teams' spring workouts. One of the stops was Miami.

Why there, Tressel was asked.

"They're Miami. They're the national champions," he said.

Now Ohio State will get another look at the Hurricanes in the Jan. 3 Fiesta Bowl. And this time, Tressel hopes the Buckeyes come away with that coveted title.

Miami is a 13-point favorite, but that doesn't bother Tressel.

"I don't think we get too involved in the broad type of things, like who's the underdog or who's not," Tressel said. "I think our guys are just excited to have a chance to play in the Fiesta Bowl and to play against the national champions."

The game matches two undefeated teams who used similar weapons but different routes to the same destination.

Top-ranked Miami (12-0), seeking to become the first repeat champion since Nebraska in 1994-95, scored sometimes at will, averaging 41.9 points. But it also gave up more points (18 per game) than it might have liked.

No. 2 Ohio State (13-0), going for its first championship since 1968, played defense more diligently, allowing just 12.2 points per game. It also scored less, averaging 29.

Miami never scored fewer than 26 points in a game and pounded most opponents. Still, there were close calls. A missed field-goal attempt by Florida State saved that victory for the Hurricanes. They trailed hapless Rutgers in the fourth quarter before recovering. Pitt had a chance to tie the Canes on the game's final play.

Saturday's Fiesta Bowl-trip clincher, a 56-45 shootout against Virginia Tech, stretched Miami's winning streak to 34 straight, sixth longest in NCAA Division I-A history.

Ohio State had its own narrow games, beating Purdue 10-6, Penn State 13-7, Wisconsin 19-14, and Michigan 14-9.

The teams share common denominators at running back and quarterback.

Miami's Willis McGahee rushed for 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns. Ohio State freshman Maurice Clarett gained 1,190 yards and scored 16 TDs.

Miami quarterback Ken Dorsey, like McGahee, is a Heisman Trophy candidate and has a career record of 38-1. He threw for 3,073 yards and 26 TDs this season.

Those numbers had him eighth in the Division I-A quarterback rankings. Right above him at No. 7 is Ohio State quarterback Craig Krenzel, who passed for 1,988 yards and 12 TDs, but edged Dorsey in efficiency ratings, 148.1 to 148.

"I know there are going to be a lot of people around the country saying, 'Ohio State does not belong in this game. Ohio State can't win this game,"' Krenzel said.

"I don't think that's true, and none of the guys on our team believe that's true. We believe we deserve to be playing on Jan. 3. We respect Miami and we know they're a great team, but there's not a guy on this team who doesn't think we can compete, who doesn't think we can't go out and win."

Miami has not seen much of Ohio State and will get its first look at the Buckeyes on film on Tuesday. The Hurricanes know Clarett can be explosive.

"From what I've seen, he's a good back, and he's going to get his yards," defensive back Sean Taylor said. "The best we can do is contain him and just win the game."

Both coaches are familiar with the opposing program - and it goes back further than spring practice.

Miami coach Larry Coker spent two seasons as an assistant to Ohio State head coach John Cooper in 1993-94. He served as an assistant at Miami before taking over the head coaching position two years ago - and hasn't lost.

"I have great memories of Columbus, Ohio, and the Ohio State University," Coker said. "It was just a great experience for my wife and myself. We loved every moment of it. It's very intense. Football is very important to Ohio State: the intensity of the season, the rivalries and the tradition."

Tressel was a candidate for the Miami job - there were reports at the time that he was offered it and turned it down - when current Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis was hired to take over the program in 1995.

Tressel denied that he was offered the job. He said he interviewed for it, but said the timing wasn't right for all the parties involved.

"It's interesting in life: usually things work out," Tressel said. "They made the right decision in hiring Butch Davis and his staff. Things worked out for all of us and here we have a chance to be at Ohio State. Things always work out."

Come on, CanesForever, you need some new material. VT was winning 9-10 games before "Botch" was able to make his mark on the program.

You know you guys are scraping the bottom when you have to blame Butch for VT's success.

I'm with you. Not sure what Butch did or didn't do for OTHER programs, I am sure Miami only won one title without Jimmy Johnson recruits making up most of the team. Since NCs are all I can about there is nothing to think about unless Howard found the "get young" pill and walks back though the door with one of those pipes. And then I still want Dave Wannstedt as his DC and recruiter.

FIFY

Okay, who let Dan Rather on the board?

He said that we had three RBs better than their starter - James Jackson, Clinton Portis and Najeh if I remember correctly....

And he was right.

I think their RB was Wiley at the time...

I remember Jim Tressel saying that he never seen a practice like ours in his life.

He learned from what Butch built and took it back to OSU.

Advertisement
Back