Real talk on Butch Davis

My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

Advertisement
Even in the late early 90s, VT had the rep as a pesky hard nosed team - usually played us tough.

Cosigned....

And to go along the lines other similar teams like Fresno State & East Carolina......

Man like I said before. Some types the hire has to be right, for the point where we are at. I don't even dear to think what we will be with 5 years of Shannon/Golden like coaching.
There are certainly better x and o guy out there. But ask yourself, do u know how they are going to recruit, develop the players and maintain the U brand as well as try to topple FSU? They may get in there and crack under the pressure like Folden. We cannot afford that.

What I know we are getting with Butch is A class development of players at spots where we have been deficient, in the trenches. We will always have star caliber skill players and LB etcs. To make the U great again we need star players in the trenches and those don't grow on trees. It need coaches who know how to identify players and then develop their potential.

That alone is going to overwhelm 85 percent of the ACC. Just killing them in the trenches. Then u need to full thing to beat FSU, Clemson and whichever big national team we play and the playoffs.
We have to get back to where talent alone guarantee us at least 9 wins. That doesn't come from recruiting it comes from coaching the players up

Asking 'Chise about football coaches is akin to asking ISIS about making friends and influencing people.

Advertisement
My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

So the other option is bring in someone who hasn't proven they can build national championship talent?

Asking 'Chise about football coaches is akin to asking ISIS about making friends and influencing people.

I agree with Chise on some things, but Butch is clearly the safest hire right now. Will we win it with Butch? I don't know...

So the other option is bring in someone who hasn't proven they can build national championship talent?

Butch is like buying a CD while some of the other candidates are like buying stock in a high tech start up. They call me Mr. Vegas, so I would look at the candidates with more potential upside. My top pick would be Tom Herman.

Butch is like buying a CD while some of the other candidates are like buying stock in a high tech start up. They call me Mr. Vegas, so I would look at the candidates with more potential upside. My top pick would be Tom Herman.
But but Herman is not proven and could be another Golden!!1

Advertisement

After listening to the "Playmaker" I'm starting to get on the Herman train, but I still think Butch is the safest hire.

Herman has already accomplished more than Golden.

I think we've had just about all the unproven risks (coaches) that we can stand.

I seriously doubt you liquidate every asset and go all in on a high risk startup.

Herman has already accomplished more than Golden.
:facepalm:

Advertisement

He could be another Folden, or he could be another ***. Do you accept the risk, or do you go with the low risk, low yield investment? I don't know.

The safe hire isn't necessarily the best hire especially not for the long term.

If people believe Herman is the next great coach why not roll the dice. The reward is greater than the risk IMO

The safe hire isn't necessarily the best hire especially not for the long term.

If people believe Herman is the next great coach why not roll the dice. The reward is greater than the risk IMO

Bro we need a Miami guy and a recruiter bro. Bro would Hermans even know how to navigate the South Flarda recruiting bro? Gimme Critobal bro. Best recruiter in the country bro and turned FIU around bro

Advertisement

He could be another Folden, or he could be another ***. Do you accept the risk, or do you go with the low risk, low yield investment? I don't know.
The chances of him being the real deal are greater than the chances of him being another golden. With those odds I throw $4 million at him and whatever else he wants. Either make a bold inspired hire or go home.

If he and others turn you down then go get the safe pick in Butch.

In case you forgot: Butch's team, with Clappy as HC, won the NC in 2001.

The chances of him being the real deal are greater than the chances of him being another golden. With those odds I throw $4 million at him and whatever else he wants. Either make a bold inspired hire or go home.

I don't even think it will take that much. He makes $1.4MM, now ... Bump him to $3MM, give him the staff budget to bring Orlando or steal Aranda, and let him hire the other guys he wants.

If he comes to Miami, he's leaving a bunch of that staff behind. Most of them are Texas guys.

But I'm sure Urban can recommend some decent coaches with Florida ties ...

I don't even think it will take that much. He makes $1.4MM, now ... Bump him to $3MM, give him the staff budget to bring Orlando or steal Aranda, and let him hire the other guys he wants.

If he comes to Miami, he's leaving a bunch of that staff behind. Most of them are Texas guys.

But I'm sure Urban can recommend some decent coaches with Florida ties ...
It's such a no brainer.

Advertisement
Back