Real talk on Butch Davis

Advertisement
My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

Yes, I remember this about Butch. But I'm certain he has learned a few things about game day coaching and has ID'd people that can help him be successful.

My recollection of Butch was that he had to have at least a 7 point talent advantage in order to win. His teams underperformed and won on talent. That's doable for getting into the ACCCG but not for winning the NC.

Butch is the best "more with less" coach that's ever come through UM. He won 18 games in 98' & 99' running on fumes. Did you not hear the man say that Ed Reed's only other offers were from HBCUs like Grambling St. & Southern? Moss was a little used HS WR, that was headed to Eastern Kentucky. Wayne wasn't highly rated. Butch didn't get a transformational class till 2000. Stop it.

Butch is the best "more with less" coach that's ever come through UM. He won 18 games in 98' & 99' running on fumes. Did you not hear the man say that Ed Reed's only other offers were from HBCUs like Grambling St. & Southern? Moss was a little used HS WR, that was headed to Eastern Kentucky. Wayne wasn't highly rated. Butch didn't get a transformational class till 2000. Stop it.

So now Ed Reed, Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne are "less". Duly noted.

Advertisement

So now Ed Reed,Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne were killin' it as true freshman. Stop it.

So now Ed Reed,Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne were killin' it as true freshman. Stop it.

Reggie, Ed and Santana all came here in 1997. I think that's one transformational class before 2000. By 1998 and 1999 and 2000 these weren't "less" but guys well into their careers. Doing more with less? Pleeze.

Last edited:

Reggie, Ed and Santana all came here in 1997. I think that's one transformational class before 2000.

LMFAO! Like I said, Wayne wasn't All-World coming outta HS. Santana was a track guy turned WR. Reed didn't blow up till He was a Jr.. Daryl Jones was another track guy turned WR...and then you had Andre King who came over from minor league baseball. Dude said "transformational class before 2000"...LMFAO! That 2000 team was a bunch of overachievers, mixed with the talent of that 2000 class. In summary Butch did more with less buddy, you should stop while you're ahead.

Advertisement
I remember Larry Coker saving many jobs while HC at Miami. Bunting at UNC comes to mind. There were others.

Reggie, Ed and Santana all came here in 1997. I think that's one transformational class before 2000.

LMFAO! Like I said, Wayne wasn't All-World coming outta HS. Santana was a track guy turned WR. Reed didn't blow up till He was a Jr.. Daryl Jones was another track guy turned WR...and then you had Andre King who came over from minor league baseball. Dude said "transformational class before 2000"...LMFAO! That 2000 team was a bunch of overachievers, mixed with the talent of that 2000 class. In summary Butch did more with less buddy, you should stop while you're ahead.

Wow.... No words

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back