Rankings

Advertisement
Warren Nolan is having issues handling Louisville-Wake and the second Pitt-Duke game. I think we’ll shake out 7th when all is said and done. The big move was going from about 100 points off third at the start of the weekend to 29ish at the end.

Advertisement
Warren Nolan is having issues handling Louisville-Wake and the second Pitt-Duke game. I think we’ll shake out 7th when all is said and done. The big move was going from about 100 points off third at the start of the weekend to 29ish at the end.
As big as that move was, I don’t even think being close to 3rd matters at all. Our path to a national seed is stay top 10 in RPI. Or simply win the coastal. If we win that we’ll be guaranteed top 10, and most likely will finish top 5.

ACC RPIs
7 Miami
8 Virginia Tech
11 Notre Dame
12 Louisville
14 Virginia
18 Clemson (9-14 ACC record)
24 Wake Forest
25 North Carolina (9-14 ACC record)
27 North Carolina
29 Georgia Tech (12-15 ACC record)
31 NC State
51 Pitt (12-11 ACC record)
98 Boston College
107 Duke

ACC Standings
1 Miami
2 Louisville -1.5
3 Virginia Tech -2.0
4 Notre Dame -2.5
5 Virginia -3.0
6 Florida State -4.0
7 NC State -4.5
8 Pitt -4.5

We haven’t been great on the road against decent teams and we haven’t been good against FSU in a while. I’m afraid 3-3 is a most likely conference finish.

I agree.

We are mediocre on the road against good teams, and we only have one CWS capable starting pitcher.

We are facing an uphill battle regardless of what anyone else does.

We haven’t been great on the road against decent teams and we haven’t been good against FSU in a while. I’m afraid 3-3 is a most likely conference finish.
3-3 would be ok if Louisville takes the series 2-1 from VT next weekend. Even if they both went onto sweep the final weekend, we‘d finish tied with Louisville by winning percentage, not sure how complicated the tiebreaker gets for that since we didn’t play them.

But Louisville finishes with UVA, unlikely they manage to sweep that series.

Gonna be a stressful finish, but I don’t think we’d want to rely on Duke the final weekend to give VT another loss if needed for us to win the conference/division.

Advertisement
3-3 would be a good ACC finish, considering it's @FSU then ND. 20-10 likely wins us the ACC, but probably at worst 2nd if it doesn't.

3-3 and beat both UCF/FGCU and we'd be in great shape for a top-8 seed

3-3 would be ok if Louisville takes the series 2-1 from VT next weekend. Even if they both went onto sweep the final weekend, we‘d finish tied with Louisville by winning percentage, not sure how complicated the tiebreaker gets for that since we didn’t play them.

But Louisville finishes with UVA, unlikely they manage to sweep that series.

Gonna be a stressful finish, but I don’t think we’d want to rely on Duke the final weekend to give VT another loss if needed for us to win the conference/division.
Unless they’ve changed, it’s head to head (doesn’t apply here) and then winning percentage against common opponents.

I am feeling good about our odds. It seems like lately we are hitting better pitchers more often than sub-par pitching. That guy yesterday was throwing mid 70's with that change and topping at 84. That's low level, and sub-varsity high school stuff. We just could not lay off of it at times.

I really like Palm and Ligon right now, and it seems like Rosario is still having trouble with command. I like what Garland is doing and Macfarlane. Dubberly and Gates make me nervous out of the pen, but Gallo looks good and Torres has potential to be a big strikeout guy

The fact that we are displaying power top to bottom in the lineup is interesting, albeit not the most consistent, but it is there.

FSU has been a problem lately, no doubt, but lets see how it plays out. Everyone I talk to seems to think that we are going to be a problem just because we are a scrappy team AND very talented. The emergence of M-Rom's bat has been a big plus. Since 3/30 he has hit 6 of his 9 HR, and 22 or his 45 RBIs...and Yo-Yo is turning it up.

We are not what you would call the HOTTEST team at this point in the season, but with these two upcoming series and the ACC tournament, we have a chance to really make some noise heading into regionals.

Unless they’ve changed, it’s head to head (doesn’t apply here) and then winning percentage against common opponents.
So if they beat VT 2-1, and sweep UVA(unlikely), and we finish 3-3 in any fashion, we'd finish with 16 wins against common opponents, they would finish with 17.

:6fps6:

Advertisement
So if they beat VT 2-1, and sweep UVA(unlikely), and we finish 3-3 in any fashion, we'd finish with 16 wins against common opponents, they would finish with 17.

:6fps6:
I haven’t looked at common opponents and done the math so idk. But if you did, and that’s correct, then yes.

No real change in the rankings this week, still #6 in D1Baseball and Baseball America.

BA did move Oregon State up to #1, and moved Tennessee down to #2, so that's notable.

I haven’t looked at common opponents and done the math so idk. But if you did, and that’s correct, then yes.
What are you guys trying to figure out? Neither VT or UL can be tied w us on a percentage basis, and isn't that the determining factor in who wins the conference/division since cancelled games are not made up, i.e. tiebreaker unnecessary?

Advertisement
What are you guys trying to figure out? Neither VT or UL can be tied w us on a percentage basis, and isn't that the determining factor in who wins the conference/division since cancelled games are not made up, i.e. tiebreaker unnecessary?
I have no idea I didn’t do any math I just said what the tiebreaker is.

I have no idea I didn’t do any math I just said what the tiebreaker is.
Got ya - the way I read the determination of seedings for the ACC Tournament, the highest winning percentage will be regular season conference champs and #1 seed, next highest percentage #2 seed, etc.

Yes, you're right, I wasn't factoring UL's tie into the equation with the .5 Win, so that does skew the possible percentages.

Advertisement
Back